C#.NET or C++.NET

What's better C#.NET or C++.NET Please help as I intend to invest in .NET soon. Also can C#.NET develop Windows applications?

Many Thanks

ITA :-)

Comments

• Depends... Here's the deal.

C# is faster than C++. MS says so and I've done some testing and it shows that its true.

C# also compiles a whole lot faster than C++. It makes a lot of difference when working on large projects.

C# is 100% object oriented language, the syntax is a lot cleaner than C++. I've worked with both and I like C# a lot better. This here depends on your taste I suppose.

C# can produce managed and safe code, C++ can produce manage code but it will be "unsafe" by nature. In other words, if your app is written in C++, you will need higher security clearance to run it on clients machines.

The only advantage I see with using C++ is when you need to link/use legacy code. After all, this is C++, you can link to whatever static libs you want or directly call into DLL's, you can still do the call to DLL's in C# but you first need a layer of abstraction and linking to static libraries is out of the question.

From what I've seen, people who writing 100% .NET code are using C#. People who have Win32 code and want to write a .NET wrapper for it are using C++.

And .NET comes with what they call Windows Forms (Check out System.Windows.Forms in MSDN). This is a full blown GUI library. Think MFC or VCL or even Java AWT/Swing. Since this is a .NET library, and .NET supported language can use it, that includes C# and C++.NET.

Good luck

: What's better C#.NET or C++.NET Please help as I intend to invest in .NET soon. Also can C#.NET develop Windows applications?
    :
    : Many Thanks
    :
    : ITA :-)
    :
    :

• : C# is faster than C++. MS says so and I've done some testing and it shows that its true.

Really? I'd expect C++ to be faster... Or perhaps you mean that C# is faster than C++ in .NET environment? Do you?

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    ----------------------------
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se
    http://konrads.webbsida.com

• : : C# is faster than C++. MS says so and I've done some testing and it shows that its true.
    :
    : Really? I'd expect C++ to be faster... Or perhaps you mean that C# is faster than C++ in .NET environment? Do you?
    :

Exactly, in the .NET environment only. Remember, both C# and C++ produce IL code, so C++ "low-levelity" is irrelevant here. C# is the more low level language here since its syntax is the closest to IL.
  • : Exactly, in the .NET environment only. Remember, both C# and C++ produce IL code, so C++ "low-levelity" is irrelevant here. C# is the more low level language here since its syntax is the closest to IL.

I haven't thought of C# as a low-level language since it doesn't has a hardware to be close to. But of course, silly me, there is some hardware (.NET) - the only catch is that's a simulated one. A kind of soft-hardware :-). Whatever that sounds like...

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    ----------------------------
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se
    http://konrads.webbsida.com