First rule of debate with religious people - for DarQ

The first thing you have to realize when you are talking to a religious person is that they have a built-in persecution complex. They, through years of indoctrination and what I consider effectively brainwashing, have generally come to believe that not only is the rest of the world "unsaved", but that the rest of the world is against them for being a bearer of the "one true faith". The only way to communicate with them on a level resembling true discourse is to remain calm and not become agitated at all. To get angry with them in any way just validates in their mind that they are right and your anger or discomfort or emotion is a test of their faith by Satan. It also tends to push them into "prayer mode" by which I mean the state of mind where they actively try to shut you out completely by reciting prayers or scripture by memory. This is a conditioned reflex that cults/religions instill in the sheep to keep them from thinking for themselves.

I've spent years talking, debating, and arguing with religious people, especially Christians. And Mormons are even worse. Their mythology is like Christian mythology on an Acid trip. Seriously whacked. The Mormon church is even better at brainwashing (IMO) than most other churches, so to argue with a typical Mormon is to waste your time and energy.

Comments

• Agree again. But still, i'd LOVE to kick some xtreme mormon like ass so hard. I have had many discussion as well but my opinion is that it is simply NOT possible to debate with some xtreme religious shitbag that insists that people like you and me are satan worshippers and end up like rotting corpses burning in hell. I AM NOT! I am a normal human with TRUE common sense and i love everything around me. I would not hurt innocent people at all, even not them. I am not bad but dont try to convince those of me being a good person.

: The first thing you have to realize when you are talking to a religious person is that they have a built-in persecution complex. They, through years of indoctrination and what I consider effectively brainwashing, have generally come to believe that not only is the rest of the world "unsaved", but that the rest of the world is against them for being a bearer of the "one true faith". The only way to communicate with them on a level resembling true discourse is to remain calm and not become agitated at all. To get angry with them in any way just validates in their mind that they are right and your anger or discomfort or emotion is a test of their faith by Satan. It also tends to push them into "prayer mode" by which I mean the state of mind where they actively try to shut you out completely by reciting prayers or scripture by memory. This is a conditioned reflex that cults/religions instill in the sheep to keep them from thinking for themselves.
    :
    : I've spent years talking, debating, and arguing with religious people, especially Christians. And Mormons are even worse. Their mythology is like Christian mythology on an Acid trip. Seriously whacked. The Mormon church is even better at brainwashing (IMO) than most other churches, so to argue with a typical Mormon is to waste your time and energy.
    :

[blue]DarQ[/blue]

• [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2002-11-6 8:40:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : Agree again. But still, i'd LOVE to kick some xtreme mormon like ass so hard. I have had many discussion as well but my opinion is that it is simply NOT possible to debate with some xtreme religious shitbag that insists that people like you and me are satan worshippers and end up like rotting corpses burning in hell. I AM NOT! I am a normal human with TRUE common sense and i love everything around me. I would not hurt innocent people at all, even not them. I am not bad but dont try to convince those of me being a good person.
    :
    I am not religious at all. I can even say that I am Infidel (sorry infidel) and I do understand your reaction. But your reaction is good reason for them to open discussion. That's what they are looking for. So if you will ignore them, they will shut up. Very simple.

• : I am not religious at all. I can even say that I am Infidel (sorry infidel) and I do understand your reaction. But your reaction is good reason for them to open discussion. That's what they are looking for. So if you will ignore them, they will shut up. Very simple.

HEheh, ignoring is not my nature..

BTW: So there are already 3 infidels around here. Is leeos infidel as well?

[blue]DarQ[/blue]

• : Agree again. But still, i'd LOVE to kick some xtreme mormon like ass so hard.

: i love everything around me. I would not hurt innocent people at all, even not them.

LOL, you seem conflicted.
  • well yeah, dealing with shit like that is not that easy...

: : Agree again. But still, i'd LOVE to kick some xtreme mormon like ass so hard.
    :
    : : i love everything around me. I would not hurt innocent people at all, even not them.
    :
    : LOL, you seem conflicted.
    :

[blue]DarQ[/blue]

• : well yeah, dealing with shit like that is not that easy...

Shit like what? The guy just had a quote in his signature. You need a little perspective, man, it's not like he was burning us at the stake for being heretics.
  • And Mormons are even worse. Their mythology is like Christian mythology on an Acid trip. Seriously whacked. The Mormon church is even better at brainwashing (IMO) than most other churche
    :
    Actually, I never coud undersatnd how people like religous fanatics become to be doctors, scientists, programmers. Just do not get.
  • : BTW: So there are already 3 infidels around here. Is leeos infidel as well?

I follow some of the rules of taoism. But thats just day to day life stuff in general.

On the Mormon thing. F**ck em tell them to shut up and f**ck off. let me tell you this. Earlier this year I was walking to work with my MacDo breakfast. 2 Candian Mormons on some missions stopped me in the Street and tried to convert me. When I said I was not interested they gave me a card with a phone number on. They asked me to call the number and ask for a video.. they asked me to promise to do it.

I hated every second of that experience. It was like Infidel said "a waste of time and energy)

• : And Mormons are even worse. Their mythology is like Christian mythology on an Acid trip. Seriously whacked. The Mormon church is even better at brainwashing (IMO) than most other churche
    : :
    : Actually, I never coud undersatnd how people like religous fanatics become to be doctors, scientists, programmers. Just do not get.
    :
    have you ever seen that book called " the win32 api bible"?

maybe that was written by a mormon coder? ;-)
  • : On the Mormon thing. F**ck em tell them to shut up and f**ck off. let me tell you this. Earlier this year I was walking to work with my MacDo breakfast. 2 Candian Mormons on some missions stopped me in the Street and tried to convert me. When I said I was not interested they gave me a card with a phone number on. They asked me to call the number and ask for a video.. they asked me to promise to do it.

They seem to be so desperate to earn enough points in this life to make it into the special levels of heaven that they do such bizarre things.
  • : And Mormons are even worse. Their mythology is like Christian mythology on an Acid trip. Seriously whacked. The Mormon church is even better at brainwashing (IMO) than most other churche
    : :
    : Actually, I never coud undersatnd how people like religous fanatics become to be doctors, scientists, programmers. Just do not get.

I once chatted online with a Christian who was a Chemist. She told me that she prayed before every experiment that God would help her get the right results. I was floored. Not only is that just stupid, but it's totally against the very ideas that Science are founded on. You don't do experiments to get the "right" answers, you do experiments to get data. If the data is "wrong" then either you did something wrong, or your hypothesis needs to be revised.
  • : Actually, I never coud undersatnd how people like religous fanatics become to be doctors, scientists, programmers. Just do not get.
    :

Hmm, I think they become doctors/scientists//whatever because they feel the urge to prove their own theories. Like the whole deal about the evolution, the hardcore xian scientists usually work towards finding the total opposite answers of what other scientists have found, just to prove their theories about their gods are right.

Anyway, if ppl are happy with being religious and walking around in a daze of happiness just because they confide in some kind of higher powers then let them do so. We can't save them all (or something like that)...me I believe in common sense and trusting ones instincts.

Gotta go for now, but an interesting subject indeed.

• :
    Not only is that just stupid, but it's totally against the very ideas that Science are founded on. You don't do experiments to get the "right" answers, you do experiments to get data. If the data is "wrong" then either you did something wrong, or your hypothesis needs to be revised.
    :
    I tottaly agreed. I used to be scientiest in my "prevouos life" in the USSR. There is no way (actualy there is way - fake it) to get "right" answer. You can try to predict answer building some theoretical or math model but not get it. But let me tell one short story. There was famous Russian scientist Pavlov who described the brain reflexes. He got Nobiel prize for his work. This guy was extremly smart and, you can't believe it, religious. He went to the Church every Sunday. Do you have expanation? I do not.

• There was famous Russian scientist Pavlov who described the brain reflexes.

Was this the guy that did the 'Pavalovs dog' experiiment.. ringing the bell and the dog would salivate?

Very interesting. We have people here that stop working and rush outside when the sandwhich van sounds its horn. I call it Pavalovs Van.

• [b][red]This message was edited by infidel at 2002-11-6 10:9:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : There was famous Russian scientist Pavlov who described the brain reflexes. He got Nobiel prize for his work. This guy was extremly smart and, you can't believe it, religious. He went to the Church every Sunday. Do you have expanation? I do not.

I don't know about him specifically, but many famous scientists have been deeply religious. It varies from person to person. Not all religions conflict with Science, and not all areas of Science will conflict with religion, even very strict ones. If I recall, Pavlov did work in Psychology, which probably never really caused any conflict with religious beliefs. Galileo believed that if there was a conflict between Church doctrine and Science, it was because humans misunderstood what the Bible was actually saying. There are many other scientists that have "religious beliefs", but that does not mean they are fundamentalist Baptists or anything. Even Einstein believed in "God", though it was certainly not the same idea of God that most people hold.