First rule of debate with religious people - for DarQ

13»

Comments

• : : How is it physiology? Behaviorism yes, but I still say it's psychology. Unless he was opening up the dog brains to see what physical responses (electrical impulses, chemical changes, etc) were caused by a bell ringing, I don't see how this is physiology.
    : :
    : Because he opened the stomach and placed there special devices to collect and measure amount of saliva. Pavlov and Sheridan where first who showed that stomach job are controlled by the brain. :

Ah, interesting. The conditioning part is still psychology, though, no matter how they measured it.
  • : That's exactly right! The apes and pithecanthropus occupied the same niche. Pithecanthropus was much stronger than apes but he disappeared and apes did not! Why?

Could be any number of reasons. The dinosaurs were about as big and strong as land animals have ever been, yet they died out and the tiny little mammals survived and flourished. We'd have to look at the environment and conditions of each species individually.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2002-11-6 14:14:33[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    Because he opened the stomach and placed there special devices to collect and measure amount of saliva. Pavlov and Sheridan where first who showed that stomach job are controlled by the brain. :
    :
    Ah, interesting. The conditioning part is still psychology, though, no matter how they measured it.
    :
    Actually, it's very difficult to find correct name for that kind of experiment/science. In some contries they call it Neuropsychology!!!
    In my experiments I was investigated relationships between visual perceptions and eye movements. No psychology at all? Right? No. Because I used some technic that Psycologysts use too. So ... I think it does not mutter how we call the Science itself. More inportant that Psychology is not possible wuthout brain. Both scientist's and animal's/individual's.

• Could be any number of reasons. The dinosaurs were about as big and strong as land animals have ever been, yet they died out and the tiny little mammals survived and flourished. We'd have to look at the environment and conditions of each species individually.

You are right again, as always. But ironically the big size of dinosaurs was probably their weakest point at the moment. It's possible that they died out just because they could not find enough food. Actually, as I know, there is no clear explanation why they disappeared. Let me made conclusion. I am not against Evolution theory and of course I am not creationist. I am just trying to say that theory of Evolution does not have enough strong scientific evidences. That's why it's still theory not axiom.
  • : Actually, it's very difficult to find correct name for that kind of experiment/science. In some contries they call it Neuropsychology!!!
    : In my experiments I was investigated relationships between visual perceptions and eye movements. No psychology at all? Right? No. Because I used some technic that Psycologysts use too. So ... I think it does not mutter how we call the Science itself. More inportant that Psychology is not possible wuthout brain. Both scientist's and animal's/individual's.

I can agree with this. I have to wonder, though, how you ended up a programmer when you could be doing interesting stuff like this!
  • Global intelligence surpasses physical strength. PERIOD

: : All it says is that an individual that is better suited to its environment will TEND to survive longer and produce more offspring.
    : : :
    : : Right again!!! But gradualy this " better suited" creatures and its offsprings will take all best spots in this particular environment/area. There simply won't be room for creatures what won't "TEND to survive". So finaly the last ones will disapear.
    :
    : Only if they occupy the same niche.
    :

[blue]DarQ[/blue]

• yeah mormons are weird ones. They are trained from a young age to justify everything that they believe in and everything that they do, so that it doesn't matter what arguments you put to them, they always have the "right" answer. I know quite a lot about the religion coz my best friend from school is one and all her church friends tried to convert me :)

: : On the Mormon thing. F**ck em tell them to shut up and f**ck off. let me tell you this. Earlier this year I was walking to work with my MacDo breakfast. 2 Candian Mormons on some missions stopped me in the Street and tried to convert me. When I said I was not interested they gave me a card with a phone number on. They asked me to call the number and ask for a video.. they asked me to promise to do it.
    :
    : They seem to be so desperate to earn enough points in this life to make it into the special levels of heaven that they do such bizarre things.
    :

• ya about that whole mormon thing. i had a friend who was mormon and one day she asked me if i would come to church with her, well having only herd bad things about mormons i decided i would give them a chance. i sat through their serveses and stuff listening to what they had to say and all that stuff and i asked them about why they have multiple mariges and they said that their church did away with that stuff a long time ago and that their church doesn't support that practice any more. now that was one of the bad things i heard about the church and found out it was a lie. but i had more questions i wanted answers to, to see what they would tell me. one major thing i herd was that the book of mormon was written by a guy in usa and that it was a guy on his death bed writeing it for his entertainment and that it none of it never realy happend. well i wanted to find out what they thought and they told me to pray and ask God if it was true. well i was a seventh day adventist and i (to be honest) was kind of in to the bible and stuff and i thought that if the book of mormon didn't contradict the bible that i would beleive it. well a while before that i (now this is kind of personal) had repented for breaking one of the ten commandments and that was 'do not commit adultry'(note: the book of matthew says that if you look at a woman to lust for her then you commit adultry; well that is the same as masterbateing and so i decided to stop masterbateing and it took awile but i finaly did) well after a while i hadn't read anything in the book of mormon that i thought contradicted the bible so i finaly decided to take up what the mormons said about praying to find out if the book of mormon is true or if it is a fake. well i went in my room and by myself i stood by my bed with the book of mormon laying beside me on the bed and i asked God if the book of mormon had truth in it. and lo and behold i felt a feeling you would not believe unless you felt it yourself. seriously, i felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort that i hadn't felt before and then after that i asumed that was God's way of saying yes to my question. so after that i decided to believe that the book of mormon has truth in it and i wanted to learn all the stuff from the book of mormon. well i am sertain that that book isn't a fake because of my expeirience that i had and i will always remember it. well now because of that experience i took all the 'missionary discusions' and finished them up and decided to join their church and i am now a member and i have had felt that feeling of peace and comfort (like before) many times since then.

Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

-Troy

• Hey GameTroy
    I'm a christian and at my church we believe that to truly know that you are being spoken to by the Lord you must be 1. touched by the Lord (just as you say you were) AND 2. find what it is He is saying in the bible.
    I understand where you are coming from and you may be different to all the mormons I have met, but of all the ones I have met their arguments are simply that, arguments. I can tell by the way that they answer my questions that they have been trained to answer them that way and they are merely spitting out what they have learnt. I'm not saying you are like this, you may be different but I have met many a mormon and to me they do not exuberate the life of God. But this is my opinion. :)

: ya about that whole mormon thing. i had a friend who was mormon and one day she asked me if i would come to church with her, well having only herd bad things about mormons i decided i would give them a chance. i sat through their serveses and stuff listening to what they had to say and all that stuff and i asked them about why they have multiple mariges and they said that their church did away with that stuff a long time ago and that their church doesn't support that practice any more. now that was one of the bad things i heard about the church and found out it was a lie. but i had more questions i wanted answers to, to see what they would tell me. one major thing i herd was that the book of mormon was written by a guy in usa and that it was a guy on his death bed writeing it for his entertainment and that it none of it never realy happend. well i wanted to find out what they thought and they told me to pray and ask God if it was true. well i was a seventh day adventist and i (to be honest) was kind of in to the bible and stuff and i thought that if the book of mormon didn't contradict the bible that i would beleive it. well a while before that i (now this is kind of personal) had repented for breaking one of the ten commandments and that was 'do not commit adultry'(note: the book of matthew says that if you look at a woman to lust for her then you commit adultry; well that is the same as masterbateing and so i decided to stop masterbateing and it took awile but i finaly did) well after a while i hadn't read anything in the book of mormon that i thought contradicted the bible so i finaly decided to take up what the mormons said about praying to find out if the book of mormon is true or if it is a fake. well i went in my room and by myself i stood by my bed with the book of mormon laying beside me on the bed and i asked God if the book of mormon had truth in it. and lo and behold i felt a feeling you would not believe unless you felt it yourself. seriously, i felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort that i hadn't felt before and then after that i asumed that was God's way of saying yes to my question. so after that i decided to believe that the book of mormon has truth in it and i wanted to learn all the stuff from the book of mormon. well i am sertain that that book isn't a fake because of my expeirience that i had and i will always remember it. well now because of that experience i took all the 'missionary discusions' and finished them up and decided to join their church and i am now a member and i have had felt that feeling of peace and comfort (like before) many times since then.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
    :
    :
    : -Troy
    :
    :
    :
    :

• : Hey GameTroy
    : I'm a christian and at my church we believe that to truly know that you are being spoken to by the Lord you must be 1. touched by the Lord (just as you say you were) AND 2. find what it is He is saying in the bible.
    : I understand where you are coming from and you may be different to all the mormons I have met, but of all the ones I have met their arguments are simply that, arguments. I can tell by the way that they answer my questions that they have been trained to answer them that way and they are merely spitting out what they have learnt. I'm not saying you are like this, you may be different but I have met many a mormon and to me they do not exuberate the life of God. But this is my opinion. :)
    :
    :
    :
    : : ya about that whole mormon thing. i had a friend who was mormon and one day she asked me if i would come to church with her, well having only herd bad things about mormons i decided i would give them a chance. i sat through their serveses and stuff listening to what they had to say and all that stuff and i asked them about why they have multiple mariges and they said that their church did away with that stuff a long time ago and that their church doesn't support that practice any more. now that was one of the bad things i heard about the church and found out it was a lie. but i had more questions i wanted answers to, to see what they would tell me. one major thing i herd was that the book of mormon was written by a guy in usa and that it was a guy on his death bed writeing it for his entertainment and that it none of it never realy happend. well i wanted to find out what they thought and they told me to pray and ask God if it was true. well i was a seventh day adventist and i (to be honest) was kind of in to the bible and stuff and i thought that if the book of mormon didn't contradict the bible that i would beleive it. well a while before that i (now this is kind of personal) had repented for breaking one of the ten commandments and that was 'do not commit adultry'(note: the book of matthew says that if you look at a woman to lust for her then you commit adultry; well that is the same as masterbateing and so i decided to stop masterbateing and it took awile but i finaly did) well after a while i hadn't read anything in the book of mormon that i thought contradicted the bible so i finaly decided to take up what the mormons said about praying to find out if the book of mormon is true or if it is a fake. well i went in my room and by myself i stood by my bed with the book of mormon laying beside me on the bed and i asked God if the book of mormon had truth in it. and lo and behold i felt a feeling you would not believe unless you felt it yourself. seriously, i felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort that i hadn't felt before and then after that i asumed that was God's way of saying yes to my question. so after that i decided to believe that the book of mormon has truth in it and i wanted to learn all the stuff from the book of mormon. well i am sertain that that book isn't a fake because of my expeirience that i had and i will always remember it. well now because of that experience i took all the 'missionary discusions' and finished them up and decided to join their church and i am now a member and i have had felt that feeling of peace and comfort (like before) many times since then.
    : : Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
    : : -Troy
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]

• Dude, why do you react so violently to this?
  • : now that was one of the bad things i heard about the church and found out it was a lie.

It isn't a lie that they were polygamists. One of the reasons the church dropped the practice was so that Utah could become a state. There are still a number of communities that still practice it, however they are not recognized by the "official" church.

: one major thing i herd was that the book of mormon was written by a guy in usa

Yes, Joseph Smith.

: and that it was a guy on his death bed

Who told you that? I've never heard that.

: writeing it for his entertainment

I've never heard this either. If I had to guess I would say he wrote it either because he was genuinely insane, or because he wanted to start his own cult/church/group. I'm fairly certain it's the latter.

:and that it none of it never realy happend.

Well none of it ever really happened. The stories are all made up. There is not one single shred of archaeological evidence to support any of it. It's all a bunch of crap.

: well i wanted to find out what they thought and they told me to pray and ask God if it was true.

Typical. Standard religious M.O.

: well i was a seventh day adventist and i (to be honest) was kind of in to the bible and stuff and i thought that if the book of mormon didn't contradict the bible that i would beleive it.

Why on earth would you believe something just because it doesn't contradict the Bible? As I've never read the Book of Mormon I can't comment on Biblical contradictions, but on the other hand, I can say that it doesn't follow logically to believe X because you believe Y and X doesn't contradict Y.

: well after a while i hadn't read anything in the book of mormon that i thought contradicted the bible so i finaly decided to take up what the mormons said about praying to find out if the book of mormon is true or if it is a fake. well i went in my room and by myself i stood by my bed with the book of mormon laying beside me on the bed and i asked God if the book of mormon had truth in it. and lo and behold i felt a feeling you would not believe unless you felt it yourself.

This is interesting. You've just admitted that you hadn't read the entire book of Mormon before you decided that it was the truth.

: seriously, i felt an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort that i hadn't felt before and then after that i asumed that was God's way of saying yes to my question. so after that i decided to believe that the book of mormon has truth in it and i wanted to learn all the stuff from the book of mormon. well i am sertain that that book isn't a fake because of my expeirience that i had and i will always remember it. well now because of that experience i took all the 'missionary discusions' and finished them up and decided to join their church and i am now a member and i have had felt that feeling of peace and comfort (like before) many times since then.

Well I guess that's all that matters. If it makes you happy and you're not infringing anyone else's rights then more power to ya.

: Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

"Ritual is the death of true spirituality." - Lao Tzu.