Mouse click...

Hi there. I need help with a little problem.
I have a program that creates/maintains a database with bunch of records. The problem is that there are many records, and if i want to get to lets say record 30, i need to click on my NEXT button 30 times. My question is, is there a way to keep scrolling once the user pushes and doesnt release the NEXT button? I found a way, not sure if thats the best way - i used a timer. Heres a piece of code that i used to make that happen.

Private Sub cmdNext_Click()
'Checking for END OF FILE
'if not, then show the next record
If rs.EOF = False Then
rs.MoveNext
Else
'if this is END OF FILE, then imitate a click on a button
'that moves the current position to first record
cmdFirst_Click
End If
'Checking for position after the MoveNext command
'intTotal holds the total number of records
If rs.AbsolutePosition < 0 Then cmdFirst_Click
If rs.AbsolutePosition >= intTotal Then cmdLast_Click
'RefreshDat sub updates all the fields with the data
'from the record in the current position
Call RefreshDat
End Sub

Private Sub cmdNext_MouseDown(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
'Initialise timer
Timer1.Enabled = True
End Sub
Private Sub cmdNext_MouseUp(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
'timer off
Timer1.Enabled = False
End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
cmdNext_Click
End Sub

I set the Interval property of timer1 to 100 so that the scrolling doesnt go too fast. This works, of course, only with the next button. I can make it work with the previous button too - with a global boolean variable i guess. The question is - is there an easier way to do the task? I tried playing around with the mousedown/mousemove events, but no luck so far.
Thanks for any help!
James R.

Comments

• well, you got it right. but mouse_move is useless. Mouse_down will do the trick. The timer can be deleted. You could use another variable that increases with small values like 0.001, this must be a double or something... When the mouse is down just use the small increase value for delaying the scroll.

: Hi there. I need help with a little problem.
    : I have a program that creates/maintains a database with bunch of records. The problem is that there are many records, and if i want to get to lets say record 30, i need to click on my NEXT button 30 times. My question is, is there a way to keep scrolling once the user pushes and doesnt release the NEXT button? I found a way, not sure if thats the best way - i used a timer. Heres a piece of code that i used to make that happen.
    :
    : Private Sub cmdNext_Click()
    : 'Checking for END OF FILE
    : 'if not, then show the next record
    : If rs.EOF = False Then
    : rs.MoveNext
    : Else
    : 'if this is END OF FILE, then imitate a click on a button
    : 'that moves the current position to first record
    : cmdFirst_Click
    : End If
    : 'Checking for position after the MoveNext command
    : 'intTotal holds the total number of records
    : If rs.AbsolutePosition < 0 Then cmdFirst_Click
    : If rs.AbsolutePosition >= intTotal Then cmdLast_Click
    : 'RefreshDat sub updates all the fields with the data
    : 'from the record in the current position
    : Call RefreshDat
    : End Sub
    :
    : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseDown(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : 'Initialise timer
    : Timer1.Enabled = True
    : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseUp(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : 'timer off
    : Timer1.Enabled = False
    :
    : Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    : cmdNext_Click
    :
    : I set the Interval property of timer1 to 100 so that the scrolling doesnt go too fast. This works, of course, only with the next button. I can make it work with the previous button too - with a global boolean variable i guess. The question is - is there an easier way to do the task? I tried playing around with the mousedown/mousemove events, but no luck so far.
    : Thanks for any help!
    : James R.
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]

• Actually, it's just my opinion, the better way is to use ADO or any Grid, ListView controls. All of them've already had scroll bar.

: well, you got it right. but mouse_move is useless. Mouse_down will do the trick. The timer can be deleted. You could use another variable that increases with small values like 0.001, this must be a double or something... When the mouse is down just use the small increase value for delaying the scroll.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : Hi there. I need help with a little problem.
    : : I have a program that creates/maintains a database with bunch of records. The problem is that there are many records, and if i want to get to lets say record 30, i need to click on my NEXT button 30 times. My question is, is there a way to keep scrolling once the user pushes and doesnt release the NEXT button? I found a way, not sure if thats the best way - i used a timer. Heres a piece of code that i used to make that happen.
    : :
    : : Private Sub cmdNext_Click()
    : : 'Checking for END OF FILE
    : : 'if not, then show the next record
    : : If rs.EOF = False Then
    : : rs.MoveNext
    : : Else
    : : 'if this is END OF FILE, then imitate a click on a button
    : : 'that moves the current position to first record
    : : cmdFirst_Click
    : : End If
    : : 'Checking for position after the MoveNext command
    : : 'intTotal holds the total number of records
    : : If rs.AbsolutePosition < 0 Then cmdFirst_Click
    : : If rs.AbsolutePosition >= intTotal Then cmdLast_Click
    : : 'RefreshDat sub updates all the fields with the data
    : : 'from the record in the current position
    : : Call RefreshDat
    : : End Sub
    : : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseDown(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : : 'Initialise timer
    : : Timer1.Enabled = True
    : : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseUp(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : : 'timer off
    : : Timer1.Enabled = False
    : : Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    : : cmdNext_Click
    : : I set the Interval property of timer1 to 100 so that the scrolling doesnt go too fast. This works, of course, only with the next button. I can make it work with the previous button too - with a global boolean variable i guess. The question is - is there an easier way to do the task? I tried playing around with the mousedown/mousemove events, but no luck so far.
    : : Thanks for any help!
    : : James R.
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• Any particular advantage with using the variable over the Timer? Cause my C++ always pointed out how good it is to try to eliminate every and each variable that is not required. Then again, this aint C++..
    About Dao/Ado control - my other teacher said approximately the same about controls. Any specific advantage of using the control bar over my direct access method? I like to know not only the best method, but also why it is the best :) - gets me in trouble sometimes though cause people think im questioning their style hehe
    Thn for your help folks!
    James R.

: Actually, it's just my opinion, the better way is to use ADO or any Grid, ListView controls. All of them've already had scroll bar.
    :
    : : well, you got it right. but mouse_move is useless. Mouse_down will do the trick. The timer can be deleted. You could use another variable that increases with small values like 0.001, this must be a double or something... When the mouse is down just use the small increase value for delaying the scroll.
    : : : Hi there. I need help with a little problem.
    : : : I have a program that creates/maintains a database with bunch of records. The problem is that there are many records, and if i want to get to lets say record 30, i need to click on my NEXT button 30 times. My question is, is there a way to keep scrolling once the user pushes and doesnt release the NEXT button? I found a way, not sure if thats the best way - i used a timer. Heres a piece of code that i used to make that happen.
    : : :
    : : : Private Sub cmdNext_Click()
    : : : 'Checking for END OF FILE
    : : : 'if not, then show the next record
    : : : If rs.EOF = False Then
    : : : rs.MoveNext
    : : : Else
    : : : 'if this is END OF FILE, then imitate a click on a button
    : : : 'that moves the current position to first record
    : : : cmdFirst_Click
    : : : End If
    : : : 'Checking for position after the MoveNext command
    : : : 'intTotal holds the total number of records
    : : : If rs.AbsolutePosition < 0 Then cmdFirst_Click
    : : : If rs.AbsolutePosition >= intTotal Then cmdLast_Click
    : : : 'RefreshDat sub updates all the fields with the data
    : : : 'from the record in the current position
    : : : Call RefreshDat
    : : : End Sub
    : : : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseDown(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : : : 'Initialise timer
    : : : Timer1.Enabled = True
    : : : Private Sub cmdNext_MouseUp(button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    : : : 'timer off
    : : : Timer1.Enabled = False
    : : : Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    : : : cmdNext_Click
    : : : I set the Interval property of timer1 to 100 so that the scrolling doesnt go too fast. This works, of course, only with the next button. I can make it work with the previous button too - with a global boolean variable i guess. The question is - is there an easier way to do the task? I tried playing around with the mousedown/mousemove events, but no luck so far.
    : : : Thanks for any help!
    : : : James R.
    : : [size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• : About Dao/Ado control - my other teacher said approximately the same about controls. Any specific advantage of using the control bar over my direct access method? I like to know not only the best method, but also why it is the best :) - gets me in trouble sometimes though cause people think im questioning their style hehe
    :
    For me, there is just one but very important advantage - it's already done and works fine. Therefore, there is no reason to change it. At the mean time, if you want, you can continue your experiment.
  • : : About Dao/Ado control - my other teacher said approximately the same about controls. Any specific advantage of using the control bar over my direct access method? I like to know not only the best method, but also why it is the best :) - gets me in trouble sometimes though cause people think im questioning their style hehe
    : For me, there is just one but very important advantage - it's already done and works fine. Therefore, there is no reason to change it. At the mean time, if you want, you can continue your experiment.
    :
    Ah ok then :)
    Since Im already almost finished with this project, ill keep using my current method, but I will keep in mind the data control method for my future projects. Thanks again for your help
    James R.