How do you guys create icon files?

Howdy hoooo
I've made an app, and for once other people than me are going to use it. I would like the main form to have an icon.
How do I make an icon file from a .jpg image? Do I have to use another application, or do I have to edit it in Photo Editor, paint or how?

Thanks
jacob_miw

Comments

• the best thing (if you are one of the lucky guys and you also have Visual C++) is to start VC and to create a SYMBOL-File.
    There you can create your Icon and save it whereever you want.

Enjoy

Genix

• [b][red]This message was edited by jacob_miw at 2002-11-16 14:47:51[/red][/b][hr]
    : the best thing (if you are one of the lucky guys and you also have Visual C++) is to start VC and to create a SYMBOL-File.
    : There you can create your Icon and save it whereever you want.

I believe I have it, though I've never used it. I'll try it out when I get home and whine for more help if I can't figure it out.

Thanks so far
    jacob_miw

• Hi there,

There is another alternative too, you can use a software called Eay Icon Maker (I use the same). If you want i could send you the program.

Bert.
  • : There is another alternative too, you can use a software called Eay Icon Maker (I use the same). If you want i could send you the program.

I'm open for all suggestions. If Not Filesize > 1mb Then send the file to jacob_miw@hotmail.com, otherwise I'll exceed my storage limit.

Thanks
    /jacob_miw *Can't wait to get home and create a symbol file ;-)*

• : Hi there,
    :
    : There is another alternative too, you can use a software called Eay Icon Maker (I use the same). If you want i could send you the program.
    :
    : Bert.
    :

There are many otehr alternatives. There are a billion free icon makers out there. I use one from pcmag. It's a great program and free (even the source is available, as with all their utilities!). Even VB3 came with an icon editor!
  • Even VB3 came with an icon editor!

That was ImagEdit.exe? I still use it

• : There are many otehr alternatives. There are a billion free icon makers out there. I use one from pcmag. It's a great program and free (even the source is available, as with all their utilities!). Even VB3 came with an icon editor!
    :

As I said, I'm open for many suggestions, so a link to a recommendable tool would be nice. I've tried a few and it started to piss me off that none of them worked suitable. Somehow, when I use them in VB the background of the icon gets yellow/orange. (Using Easy2Icon).

So, seor KDL, a link please ;-)

• : the best thing (if you are one of the lucky guys and you also have Visual C++) is to start VC and to create a SYMBOL-File.
    : There you can create your Icon and save it whereever you want.
    :
    : Enjoy
    :
    : Genix
    :
    :
    The easest way is to make it under Paint(Windows XP Pro)
    it can open, save, create icon. Just save as *.ico

Boooaaaahhhh!
  • : The easest way is to make it under Paint(Windows XP Pro)
    : it can open, save, create icon. Just save as *.ico
    :
    : Boooaaaahhhh!
    :

Dude,
    Do you not think its a bit of an overkill to change your OS just to create an icon?

J_MIW.. email me at PH if you want me to send you imagedit. i know its old.. but it works.. and theres no back ground stuff when you use it.
  • Icon file creator/editor here:

http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=3367

And Bob's your uncle! :)