stuff to talk about

Comments

• go ahead. BTW: Some shitty cult claimed thay have already did it recently. It were the... eeh... www.reals.org or something??? Realians! Yes, it were those.

Anyway, cloning people can have many good results such as spare body parts instead of a new plastic arm or leg. I can be negative as well. I hope cloning will be controlled and it should not be done by just anybody. Especially not the US government. WOuld they clone bin laden?

Nah, just scientists should have that feature and not groups that already have too much power.

: I think, now after deep discussion about lionb's problems everybody is happy. So let's talk about very phylosophycal/ethical subject - cloning. What do you think about that?
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]

• : :
    : : My three favorite topics! Watch out for lion, though, he gets an itchy trigger finger when religion comes up. :-P
    : :
    : [b]This is not true at all. I just do not understand atheists who goes to the religious temples to celebrate religious events[/b].

I don't celebrate "religious events", but I do take part in family traditions. I also sometimes play music for different churches, so I sometimes am *part* of a religious event. How about that!
    [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• Greetings.

Programming, religion, philosophy... among other things. I'm largely happy talking about whatever's on the floor. (For instance, right now on the floor are about four empty beer bottles which I don't remember drinking.)

I'm not particularly concerned about people who don't care for my posts (and that's not specifically to LionB, with whom I have dealt quite cordially on other occasions and on other boards; I refer to people in general). This is because, as I've said on various occasions, I'm not required reading. If I don't entertain you, ignore me. I promise, I won't take it personally.

Right now, I'm working on a thesis which revolves around taking Noam Chomsky's deconstruction of language (syntactic structures) and reframing the English language (and, by extension, language in general) as an XML application. That's philosophy and programming in one whop; now I've got to figure out how to weasel in religion... anyone want a piece of it?

Take Care.
    Cody

• Hi,

: Programming, religion, philosophy... among other things. I'm
    : largely happy talking about whatever's on the floor. (For instance,
    : right now on the floor are about four empty beer bottles which I
    : don't remember drinking.)
    I guess this means one of two things:-

1) You didn't drink them.
    2) You were too far gone to remember drinking them.

Or maybe you got bad memory...

: Right now, I'm working on a thesis which revolves around taking Noam
    : Chomsky's deconstruction of language (syntactic structures) and
    : reframing the English language (and, by extension, language in
    : general) as an XML application. That's philosophy and programming
    : in one whop; now I've got to figure out how to weasel in religion...
    : anyone want a piece of it?

Sounds like an interesting problem... I doubt I'd know quite where to start in it myself - closest I've got to this was writing a set of Prolog rules to apply to sentences to see if they were valid. Didn't do much work on it, but it was interesting at the time... Maybe that isn't related to what you're doing, maybe it is. But I'm not required reading...

See ya,

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Count your downloads:
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    And host your site:
    http://www.incrahost.com/
    Don't say I never give you anything... ;-)

• Greetings.

At least, according to the photographs of the party I just found posted on the Internet.

Actually, that is more or less what we're doing (referring to the Prolog rules for validating sentences). It's a kind of document type definition which will define English.

It started as a hypothetical discussion which got elevated to project when someone actually decided to fund the thing. Go figure.

Take Care.
    Cody

• : Right now, I'm working on a thesis which revolves around taking Noam Chomsky's deconstruction of language (syntactic structures) and reframing the English language (and, by extension, language in general) as an XML application. That's philosophy and programming in one whop; now I've got to figure out how to weasel in religion... anyone want a piece of it?

Sounds fascinating. I'd love a piece of it. Not sure I'm good enough to handle it, but what the hell...

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• Greetings.

Well, I'm not particularly offended by it... I just can't seem to formulate convincing philosophical arguments either way (or rather, I can shoot holes in the arguments both ways). So I figure... wait and see. Let's not start crying foul until we actually see which side of the baseline the ball lands on.

However... there is a fundamental concern, should cloning become an alternately to, erm, traditional baby-manufacturing techniques. Evolution never stops. Every generation of humans is still playing the same old competitive natural selection game that we've always played.

If we start short-circuiting natural selection by deciding which genes we want in the next generation (artificial selection, I believe it's called), I doubt we'll be able to maintain our competitive edge as a species.

Just look at the real-word consequences of artificial selection: poodles, corn, and chickens. None of which are capable of surviving in the wild. (Trust me. When's the last time you saw a pack of free-ranging wild pekingeses?) Hate to think that's what we want for ourselves. I don't look good in a collar.

Take Care.
    Cody

• Hi,

: At least, according to the photographs of the party I just found
    : posted on the Internet.

Ah, yes. The joys of pictures of parties that you find posted for the world to see...

: Actually, that is more or less what we're doing (referring to the
    : Prolog rules for validating sentences). It's a kind of document
    : type definition which will define English.

I've always wondered if this kind of stuff leads on to making a system that "understands" language to some degree. After all, if you can apply rules to sentences then you can extract from them what will be a verb, adjective, noun etc. From that you can see what is being done (verb) to what (noun) and how (adjective). Of course, then you have how, who, why, where... I guess "why" is the hardest one of those to deal with.

: It started as a hypothetical discussion which got elevated to
    : project when someone actually decided to fund the thing. Go figure.

Figures. In a lot of places, ideas get elevated to projects if they are good ones. Or the people with the money are interested in them...

Best,

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Count your downloads:
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    And host your site:
    http://www.incrahost.com/
    Don't say I never give you anything... ;-)

• : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : 'lionb = :-D

Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.

Have a good Christmas eve.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-12-31 6:17:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : : :
    : : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : : 'lionb = :-D
    :
    : Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.
    :
    : Have a good New Years eve.
    :
    [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-12-31 6:17:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : : : :
    : : : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : : : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : : : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : : : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : : : 'lionb = :-D
    : : Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.
    : : Have a good New Years eve.
    : [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]
    :
    :
    :

who mentioned Christmas eve?? ;-)

• : : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-12-31 6:17:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : : : : :
    : : : : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : : : : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : : : : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : : : : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : : : : 'lionb = :-D
    : : : Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.
    : : : Have a good Christmas eve.
    : : [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]
    :
    : who mentioned Christmas eve?? ;-)
    :
    :
    You did :-D
  • : : : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-12-31 6:17:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : : : : : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : : : : : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : : : : : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : : : : : 'lionb = :-D
    : : : : Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.
    : : : : Have a good new years eve.
    : : : [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]
    : : who mentioned Christmas eve?? ;-)
    : You did :-D
    :
    ok. i admit it... i got it wrong. now behave. :-)
  • [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2002-12-31 6:54:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]
    : : : who mentioned Christmas eve?? ;-)
    : : You did :-D
    : ok. i admit it... i got it wrong. now behave. :-)
    :
    Actually, you shoudn't admit because nobody else exept us was/are going to read that message.

• there is no sneaky communication behind my back. Nothing slips my watchful eye! Don't think again mr. lionb!

: : : : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-12-31 6:17:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : leeos! LOL!!! But i dont think lion will appreciate this topic
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : Not true again. Nevertheless, using Dutch array I'll say:
    : : : : : : Set DarQ = Nothing 'after that DarQ = :-(
    : : : : : : Set infidel = Nothing ' after that infidel = :-(
    : : : : : : set Leeos = Nothing ' after that leoos = :-(
    : : : : : : 'lionb = :-D
    : : : : : Ah dear Lion, you have just set the Leeos(j) clone to nothing.
    : : : : : Have a good new years eve.
    : : : : [b]Christmas eve?!! I am not religious may be that's why I thought it was back to December 24.[/b]
    : : : who mentioned Christmas eve?? ;-)
    : : You did :-D
    : ok. i admit it... i got it wrong. now behave. :-)
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]