is there any possible way to veiw source of various exe files

kind of a vague and pethetic question, but i was woundering if there was any way to view the source of an exe file that was created as "sharewear" or other un-copywritten programs for educational purposes only? yes i know it sounds like i want to steal programs created by other people and take the credit, but i really just want to see what was written by "professional" programers and learn from it.

If at all possible, please help me
thanks
alex

Comments

• : kind of a vague and pethetic question, but i was woundering if there was any way to view the source of an exe file that was created as "sharewear" or other un-copywritten programs for educational purposes only? yes i know it sounds like i want to steal programs created by other people and take the credit, but i really just want to see what was written by "professional" programers and learn from it.

There are programs called decompilers that will generate source code based on an executable. It won't be the original source code since the programmer's variable names and such aren't really stored in the code. And at any rate, just because a program is free (as in free beer) doesn't make it free (as in free speech) so more often than not decompiling a shareware program is just as (technically) illegal as decompiling a commercial program that specifically forbids it.

On the other hand, however, is Open Source or Free Software. There are more open source programs than you can shake a stick at being developed at places like SourceForge. All of them will let you see the code, and if you're just writing programs for your own use, most will let you take their code as much as you want. Just make sure you understand the licenses if you want to distribute your own program based on an open source program.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• : : kind of a vague and pethetic question, but i was woundering if there was any way to view the source of an exe file that was created as "sharewear" or other un-copywritten programs for educational purposes only? yes i know it sounds like i want to steal programs created by other people and take the credit, but i really just want to see what was written by "professional" programers and learn from it.
    :
    : There are programs called decompilers that will generate source code based on an executable. It won't be the original source code since the programmer's variable names and such aren't really stored in the code. And at any rate, just because a program is free (as in free beer) doesn't make it free (as in free speech) so more often than not decompiling a shareware program is just as (technically) illegal as decompiling a commercial program that specifically forbids it.
    :
    : On the other hand, however, is Open Source or Free Software. There are more open source programs than you can shake a stick at being developed at places like SourceForge. All of them will let you see the code, and if you're just writing programs for your own use, most will let you take their code as much as you want. Just make sure you understand the licenses if you want to distribute your own program based on an open source program.
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :
    Thanks! :)