Rpg Game Tile Bckgrnd behind character

Hey I am making a tile based rpg in visual basic. Maybe not the language of choice but nonetheless...
My problem is that The sprite that represents the character being moved around is painted on a green background. When he goes on say, desert, he still has green around him. I want to know how to solve this. I am a fairly new programmer but if you can describe the process I may be able to work out the code. If you know visual basic and have done this then please let me know the exact commands needed. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Look up Transparency and color keying.

: Hey I am making a tile based rpg in visual basic. Maybe not the language of choice but nonetheless...
    : My problem is that The sprite that represents the character being moved around is painted on a green background. When he goes on say, desert, he still has green around him. I want to know how to solve this. I am a fairly new programmer but if you can describe the process I may be able to work out the code. If you know visual basic and have done this then please let me know the exact commands needed. Thank you for your help.
    :

• I tried searching for it on this site but did not find it... where can I look?

: Look up Transparency and color keying.
    :
    : : Hey I am making a tile based rpg in visual basic. Maybe not the language of choice but nonetheless...
    : : My problem is that The sprite that represents the character being moved around is painted on a green background. When he goes on say, desert, he still has green around him. I want to know how to solve this. I am a fairly new programmer but if you can describe the process I may be able to work out the code. If you know visual basic and have done this then please let me know the exact commands needed. Thank you for your help.
    : :
    :
    :