Eliminate duplicates from search results

I am creating a search and results pages from a database. The search page works fine and the results page works fine. The database contains a series of client and matter names and numbers.

ClientName Client Matter
ClientA 123 001
ClientA 123 002
ClientA 123 003
ClientB 456 001

When I search for a client number the results display the client's name about 100 times (for example) because there are 100 matters so there are 100 records in the database. I'm not a programmer, I use Dreamweaver Ultradev. What snippet of code will help me eliminate my duplicates? When I search for ClientA, I just want to show ClientA=123. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Judi

Comments

• : I am creating a search and results pages from a database. The search page works fine and the results page works fine. The database contains a series of client and matter names and numbers.
    :
    : ClientName Client Matter
    : ClientA 123 001
    : ClientA 123 002
    : ClientA 123 003
    : ClientB 456 001
    :
    : When I search for a client number the results display the client's name about 100 times (for example) because there are 100 matters so there are 100 records in the database. I'm not a programmer, I use Dreamweaver Ultradev. What snippet of code will help me eliminate my duplicates? When I search for ClientA, I just want to show ClientA=123. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
    :
    : Judi
    :
    Do LIKE THIS
    In Your SQL set:
    SELECT DISTINCT ClientName,Client FROM YourTable
    /haxme

• : : I am creating a search and results pages from a database. The search page works fine and the results page works fine. The database contains a series of client and matter names and numbers.
    : :
    : : ClientName Client Matter
    : : ClientA 123 001
    : : ClientA 123 002
    : : ClientA 123 003
    : : ClientB 456 001
    : : When I search for a client number the results display the client's name about 100 times (for example) because there are 100 matters so there are 100 records in the database. I'm not a programmer, I use Dreamweaver Ultradev. What snippet of code will help me eliminate my duplicates? When I search for ClientA, I just want to show ClientA=123. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
    : : Judi
    : Do LIKE THIS
    : In Your SQL set:
    : SELECT DISTINCT ClientName,Client FROM YourTable
    : /haxme
    :
    My code (using dreamweaver MX) looks like this:

RS1.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT clientno, client, matterno, matter, atty FROM Climat WHERE client like '%" + Replace(RS1__varclient, "'", "''") + "%' ORDER BY client ASC"

And it still show all the records. That's why I'm confused.
    Judi
  • : : : I am creating a search and results pages from a database. The search page works fine and the results page works fine. The database contains a series of client and matter names and numbers.
    : : :
    : : : ClientName Client Matter
    : : : ClientA 123 001
    : : : ClientA 123 002
    : : : ClientA 123 003
    : : : ClientB 456 001
    : : : When I search for a client number the results display the client's name about 100 times (for example) because there are 100 matters so there are 100 records in the database. I'm not a programmer, I use Dreamweaver Ultradev. What snippet of code will help me eliminate my duplicates? When I search for ClientA, I just want to show ClientA=123. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
    : : : Judi
    : : Do LIKE THIS
    : : In Your SQL set:
    : : SELECT DISTINCT ClientName,Client FROM YourTable
    : : /haxme
    : My code (using dreamweaver MX) looks like this:
    :
    : RS1.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT clientno, client, matterno, matter, atty FROM Climat WHERE client like '%" + Replace(RS1__varclient, "'", "''") + "%' ORDER BY client ASC"
    :
    : And it still show all the records. That's why I'm confused.
    : Judi
    :
    OK! THEN TRY DISTINCTROW
    The DISTINCT predicate is used to omit duplicate values just in a field.
    The DISTINCTROW predicate is used to omit duplicate values in an entire record of fields.
    /haxme

• : : : : I am creating a search and results pages from a database. The search page works fine and the results page works fine. The database contains a series of client and matter names and numbers.
    : : : :
    : : : : ClientName Client Matter
    : : : : ClientA 123 001
    : : : : ClientA 123 002
    : : : : ClientA 123 003
    : : : : ClientB 456 001
    : : : : When I search for a client number the results display the client's name about 100 times (for example) because there are 100 matters so there are 100 records in the database. I'm not a programmer, I use Dreamweaver Ultradev. What snippet of code will help me eliminate my duplicates? When I search for ClientA, I just want to show ClientA=123. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
    : : : : Judi
    : : : Do LIKE THIS
    : : : In Your SQL set:
    : : : SELECT DISTINCT ClientName,Client FROM YourTable
    : : : /haxme
    : : My code (using dreamweaver MX) looks like this:
    : : RS1.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT clientno, client, matterno, matter, atty FROM Climat WHERE client like '%" + Replace(RS1__varclient, "'", "''") + "%' ORDER BY client ASC"
    : : And it still show all the records. That's why I'm confused.
    : : Judi
    : OK! THEN TRY DISTINCTROW
    : The DISTINCT predicate is used to omit duplicate values just in a field.
    : The DISTINCTROW predicate is used to omit duplicate values in an entire record of fields.
    : /haxme
    :
    --------
    My bad. I took out my everything out of my SQL except Client and clientname and it worked just fine. Thanks for your help. It made me look at it in a different light.

Judi