*Sigh* Newbies.

It always amazes me the people who get their first book or take their first course on programming, barely get past declaring variables, and suddenly want to design applications that rival Sun or Microsoft.

"Hi, I'm new to programming and I was wondering if anyone could help me... I'd like to design a web server with multiple T1 connection routing, 5,000 user capacity, and piggyback a game server with a massively-multiplayer real-time first-person 3D shooter application, all written by me in Visual Basic. Oh, and it'd be nice if I could throw in an Office-like suite on the side. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated."

*Sigh* I'm one of the top-ranked programmers in my country, and [italic]I[/italic] can't even do some of the things these newbies are asking me. At least, not without declaring full project status and activating a team. (And we only do [italic]that[/italic], my friends, when someone is paying the bill.)

Take Care.
Cody

Comments

• Yes, some people have over active imaginations. Maybe its those E factors in bubble gum... Or perhaps the influence of watching some of those lame hollywood films where it is possible to type 4000 PWM without a single typo. Also why do computers in hollywood make noises like dot matrix printers when screen output scrolls down the screen?

How did you find HK? I was going to come over but I got ill on the 15 and pretty much stayed that way for a week later.

I would go back again.. and again and again.
  • : Yes, some people have over active imaginations. Maybe its those E factors in bubble gum... Or perhaps the influence of watching some of those lame hollywood films where it is possible to type 4000 PWM without a single typo. Also why do computers in hollywood make noises like dot matrix printers when screen output scrolls down the screen?

I love it when the noobs say "I'm new to VB. I want to write my own OS, please send source!".

Did you ever see that atrocity, "Hackers"? I think with Angelina Jolie before she was famous? I just love it when they start throwing around words like RISC to sound technical. And the best is when searching for a file is like a flight simulator and you're flying around the directories which look like buildings. And these flight-sim file explorers are dog slow to boot! But just fast enough that you can lock out the raptors or catch the superhacker an instant before you are toast.

*sigh*

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• : : Yes, some people have over active imaginations. Maybe its those E factors in bubble gum... Or perhaps the influence of watching some of those lame hollywood films where it is possible to type 4000 PWM without a single typo. Also why do computers in hollywood make noises like dot matrix printers when screen output scrolls down the screen?
    :
    : I love it when the noobs say "I'm new to VB. I want to write my own OS, please send source!".
    :
    : Did you ever see that atrocity, "Hackers"? I think with Angelina Jolie before she was famous? I just love it when they start throwing around words like RISC to sound technical. And the best is when searching for a file is like a flight simulator and you're flying around the directories which look like buildings. And these flight-sim file explorers are dog slow to boot! But just fast enough that you can lock out the raptors or catch the superhacker an instant before you are toast.
    :
    : *sigh*
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    http://www.darqweb.tk

• : It always amazes me the people who get their first book or take their first course on programming, barely get past declaring variables, and suddenly want to design applications that rival Sun or Microsoft.
    :
    [blue]That does not amaze me, just makes me smiling. Those people are young, restless and in most cases very inexperienced. So it's quite understandable.
    What amazes me, when some people say about themselves: [/blue]
    :
    I'm one of the top-ranked programmers in my country ...
    :
    [blue]That amazes me a lot![/blue]

• : : Yes, some people have over active imaginations. Maybe its those E factors in bubble gum... Or perhaps the influence of watching some of those lame hollywood films where it is possible to type 4000 PWM without a single typo. Also why do computers in hollywood make noises like dot matrix printers when screen output scrolls down the screen?
    :
    : I love it when the noobs say "I'm new to VB. I want to write my own OS, please send source!".
    :
    : Did you ever see that atrocity, "Hackers"? I think with Angelina Jolie before she was famous? I just love it when they start throwing around words like RISC to sound technical. And the best is when searching for a file is like a flight simulator and you're flying around the directories which look like buildings. And these flight-sim file explorers are dog slow to boot! But just fast enough that you can lock out the raptors or catch the superhacker an instant before you are toast.
    :
    : *sigh*
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

I get a kick out of the scenes where they have a photo of someone from far away, and they can zoom in to it and make the face appear.
  • : Did you ever see that atrocity, "Hackers"? I think with Angelina Jolie before she was famous? I just love it when they start throwing around words like RISC to sound technical. And the best is when searching for a file is like a flight simulator and you're flying around the directories which look like buildings. And these flight-sim file explorers are dog slow to boot! But just fast enough that you can lock out the raptors or catch the superhacker an instant before you are toast.

Jah...Yes I saw it...but I had to turn it off. It really did irritate me. There was another equally sad film called "The Net" starring Sandra Bullock.

Now...some good news. Here is a film that I think you should see.

http://www.lily-chou-chou.com/

It portrays the use of modern technology without being incredibly lame.

I saw this film a couple of months ago at a local cinema after leaving work early for the day.