Delphi and Unix

Can you use Delphi on a Unix box? If so, are there restrictions or limitations or requirements for third-party software? Thanks. Ed Stevens

Comments

• : Can you use Delphi on a Unix box? If so, are there restrictions or limitations or requirements for third-party software? Thanks. Ed Stevens
    :

You can develop Linux compatable applications with Delphi (as long as you have Professional version or higher) using the CLX components instead of VCL. You cant actually compile for Linux with Delphi though, you'll also have to have a copy of Kylix (the Linux equivalent of Delphi and C++ Builder). It also uses CLX, so as long as you didnt use any windows specific code it'll compile the application you wrote in Delphi.

There are restrictions, Linux is the only *nix that is supported. So if you use FreeBSD or something you're SOL. I think it may even be distribution specific, so if you dont use one of the mainstream Linux's, you may be SOL again. I only ever tried with RedHat where it worked just fine.
  • : : Can you use Delphi on a Unix box? If so, are there restrictions or limitations or requirements for third-party software? Thanks. Ed Stevens
    : :
    :
    : You can develop Linux compatable applications with Delphi (as long as you have Professional version or higher) using the CLX components instead of VCL. You cant actually compile for Linux with Delphi though, you'll also have to have a copy of Kylix (the Linux equivalent of Delphi and C++ Builder). It also uses CLX, so as long as you didnt use any windows specific code it'll compile the application you wrote in Delphi.
    :
    : There are restrictions, Linux is the only *nix that is supported. So if you use FreeBSD or something you're SOL. I think it may even be distribution specific, so if you dont use one of the mainstream Linux's, you may be SOL again. I only ever tried with RedHat where it worked just fine.
    :

• : : : Can you use Delphi on a Unix box? If so, are there restrictions or limitations or requirements for third-party software? Thanks. Ed Stevens
    : : :
    : : You can develop Linux compatable applications with Delphi (as long as you have Professional version or higher) using the CLX components instead of VCL. You cant actually compile for Linux with Delphi though, you'll also have to have a copy of Kylix (the Linux equivalent of Delphi and C++ Builder). It also uses CLX, so as long as you didnt use any windows specific code it'll compile the application you wrote in Delphi.
    : : There are restrictions, Linux is the only *nix that is supported. So if you use FreeBSD or something you're SOL. I think it may even be distribution specific, so if you dont use one of the mainstream Linux's, you may be SOL again. I only ever tried with RedHat where it worked just fine.
    : Thanks for the helpful response. However, from what you say, my situation is not promissing: I want to access data in an IBM UniData database running on top of a Unix system, so it appears that I really am SOL. Too bad.