Windows App.

Hey greetings to y'all,
I need someone to lead in me into the world of windows, applets,frames basically the equivalent of JFrames or JApplet with swing objects in java, with C++. Or animation. I have been working with C++ for while and am a little bit confortable with file i/o. But not at all with animation. How would you write a piece a code that at least generate a window? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by Qane at 2003-4-1 14:24:52[/red][/b][hr]
    I'm not a very experienced programmer but I know this much. You need to use the MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class)libraries. This is a set of libraries for writing Windows apps. Better still, use Visual C++. It allows you to effectively drag and drop windows, buttons, check boxes and so forth in the IDE. But Windows programming is far from ANSI or ISO C++. Hope this helps a bit.

• : Hey greetings to y'all,
    : I need someone to lead in me into the world of windows, applets,frames basically the equivalent of JFrames or JApplet with swing objects in java, with C++. Or animation. I have been working with C++ for while and am a little bit confortable with file i/o. But not at all with animation. How would you write a piece a code that at least generate a window? Thanks a lot.
    :
    [blue]how easy (or hard) it is to write windows programs depends on the compiler you are using and the GUI package you decide to use. You can use MFC if you want to, but it isn't absolutely necessary. If you are concerned about portability to other OSs (e.g. unix) then you would probably want to use some other GUI library that makes the portability pretty transparent to your application program. If you want to stick with just the Widows OS then either VC++ 6.0 or Visual Basic is a good choice. Many things are easier in Visual Basic, but C++ is faster. Both these compilers will create starter programs for you that create basic windows programs with no programming effort on your part.

I don't know a thing about java, JFrames or JApplet, so can't comment on it. In VB or VC++ you can use any ActiveX control on the market or write your own. Many of these do animation to one degree or another.[/blue]

• Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll check it out. It seems like I will just have to work on i/o. That's sad

• : : Hey greetings to y'all,
    : : I need someone to lead in me into the world of windows, applets,frames basically the equivalent of JFrames or JApplet with swing objects in java, with C++. Or animation. I have been working with C++ for while and am a little bit confortable with file i/o. But not at all with animation. How would you write a piece a code that at least generate a window? Thanks a lot.
    : :
    : [blue]how easy (or hard) it is to write windows programs depends on the compiler you are using and the GUI package you decide to use. You can use MFC if you want to, but it isn't absolutely necessary. If you are concerned about portability to other OSs (e.g. unix) then you would probably want to use some other GUI library that makes the portability pretty transparent to your application program. If you want to stick with just the Widows OS then either VC++ 6.0 or Visual Basic is a good choice. Many things are easier in Visual Basic, but C++ is faster. Both these compilers will create starter programs for you that create basic windows programs with no programming effort on your part.
    :
    : I don't know a thing about java, JFrames or JApplet, so can't comment on it. In VB or VC++ you can use any ActiveX control on the market or write your own. Many of these do animation to one degree or another.[/blue]
    :
    :
    :
    Just to expand on Stober's comments - VC++ will create a basic Windows app for you using the MFC app wizard. You can either go for a traditional Windows app or a dialog based app.

If you go the traditional route you will get a Mainframe (Java JFrame) and View (Java JPanel) with some basic functionality. After that you must supply your own code to make the thing do something (although, the class wizrd will help).

You should try downloading the Scribble tutorial from MS to get an idea of how MFC works.
  • :Guys, thanx a lot for the info, but tell me something. Is Visual C++ slightly?totally? different from C++?
    Pascal, Basic, Visual all those languages scare me.

Thanks
  • : :Guys, thanx a lot for the info, but tell me something. Is Visual C++ slightly?totally? different from C++?
    : Pascal, Basic, Visual all those languages scare me.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    Visual C++ is just the name of the compiler