Programming LED display

[b][red]This message was edited by imd at 2003-3-19 23:51:23[/red][/b][hr]
Hi all,

I want to control an LED display board (I think it's called 7 segment, not too sure though). It has four 'lines' - each line has 7 rows of LEDs and displays, I think, 40 characters (something like that). There's already software on the computer that does a good job, but I want to write my own for better functionality (NB: this is not for profit - I believe in freeware, and want to write this for my church).

Could anyone please help me out on how to do this? I know you probably need more detail on the microcontroller thingys or something, but what I do know is that it's connected via the serial port. I'd like to know how to control it from a C/C++ or VB program for Windows. Help on writing to ports in Windows most welcome.

Many thanks

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by imd at 2003-3-19 23:51:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi all,
    :
    : I want to control an LED display board (I think it's called 7 segment, not too sure though). It has four 'lines' - each line has 7 rows of LEDs and displays, I think, 40 characters (something like that). There's already software on the computer that does a good job, but I want to write my own for better functionality (NB: this is not for profit - I believe in freeware, and want to write this for my church).
    :
    : Could anyone please help me out on how to do this? I know you probably need more detail on the microcontroller thingys or something, but what I do know is that it's connected via the serial port. I'd like to know how to control it from a C/C++ or VB program for Windows. Help on writing to ports in Windows most welcome.
    :
    : Many thanks
    :
    :
    : hai friend

i think you are in very begining stage in electronics. thats why u r getting these ideas. ok, if u want just lighting up i don't need to know deep theory in electronics. you can design using very few componets
    such as transistors, resistors with external power supply.
    if you want work out with 7 segment LED you should have to know atleast few important theory from elctronics and about ports.

in C , you use ourp(port id, data) function to send signals to external device, to work with windows platform, just call the compiled c programm with shell commmand in VB.

if u've any doubt , just mail me, i can help u
  • Thanks for your interest. I take it you know a lot more than me about this subject. It has been suggested to me that I hook up another computer via the serial port using hyperterminal so I can find out what's being sent to the device and figure out how to control it. The way I understand it presently is that perhaps 1 byte is sent to the serial port, kind of like a command byte, perhaps followed by header infromation and then a stream of data. Only problem is I don't have a clue what the device expects. I think the format of data sent to the device also differs between manufacturers - different conventions, etc. At this point, writing to the serial port won't be a problem - I think I can figure that out - but figuring out what the display board is expecting is tough. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

: : [b][red]This message was edited by imd at 2003-3-19 23:51:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi all,
    : :
    : : I want to control an LED display board (I think it's called 7 segment, not too sure though). It has four 'lines' - each line has 7 rows of LEDs and displays, I think, 40 characters (something like that). There's already software on the computer that does a good job, but I want to write my own for better functionality (NB: this is not for profit - I believe in freeware, and want to write this for my church).
    : : Could anyone please help me out on how to do this? I know you probably need more detail on the microcontroller thingys or something, but what I do know is that it's connected via the serial port. I'd like to know how to control it from a C/C++ or VB program for Windows. Help on writing to ports in Windows most welcome.
    : : Many thanks
    : : hai friend
    :
    : i think you are in very begining stage in electronics. thats why u r getting these ideas. ok, if u want just lighting up i don't need to know deep theory in electronics. you can design using very few componets
    : such as transistors, resistors with external power supply.
    : if you want work out with 7 segment LED you should have to know atleast few important theory from elctronics and about ports.
    :
    : in C , you use ourp(port id, data) function to send signals to external device, to work with windows platform, just call the compiled c programm with shell commmand in VB.
    :
    : if u've any doubt , just mail me, i can help u
    :

• Couple ideas on that:
    First, look up a datasheet online, I recommend digikey.com.
    Second, reverse engineer it. Grab a packet sniffer, set it up to sniff the serial port, and get raw hex dumps for various sent commands so you can work through it, pick out the header info, if any, and figure out what it's doing.

: Thanks for your interest. I take it you know a lot more than me about this subject. It has been suggested to me that I hook up another computer via the serial port using hyperterminal so I can find out what's being sent to the device and figure out how to control it. The way I understand it presently is that perhaps 1 byte is sent to the serial port, kind of like a command byte, perhaps followed by header infromation and then a stream of data. Only problem is I don't have a clue what the device expects. I think the format of data sent to the device also differs between manufacturers - different conventions, etc. At this point, writing to the serial port won't be a problem - I think I can figure that out - but figuring out what the display board is expecting is tough. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
    :
    : Thanks :)
    :
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by imd at 2003-3-19 23:51:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hi all,
    : : :
    : : : I want to control an LED display board (I think it's called 7 segment, not too sure though). It has four 'lines' - each line has 7 rows of LEDs and displays, I think, 40 characters (something like that). There's already software on the computer that does a good job, but I want to write my own for better functionality (NB: this is not for profit - I believe in freeware, and want to write this for my church).
    : : : Could anyone please help me out on how to do this? I know you probably need more detail on the microcontroller thingys or something, but what I do know is that it's connected via the serial port. I'd like to know how to control it from a C/C++ or VB program for Windows. Help on writing to ports in Windows most welcome.
    : : : Many thanks
    : : : hai friend
    : : i think you are in very begining stage in electronics. thats why u r getting these ideas. ok, if u want just lighting up i don't need to know deep theory in electronics. you can design using very few componets
    : : such as transistors, resistors with external power supply.
    : : if you want work out with 7 segment LED you should have to know atleast few important theory from elctronics and about ports.
    : : in C , you use ourp(port id, data) function to send signals to external device, to work with windows platform, just call the compiled c programm with shell commmand in VB.
    : : if u've any doubt , just mail me, i can help u
    :
    :