Netscape Is Garbage

It's amazing to me after all I've learned, that there are even more reasons to dislike Netscape browsers. As if there weren't enough reasons already! I just found out another thing Netscape just can't handle that IE does with ease. Below is one of my entries inside my tag.

.Date {font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; color: "#CCCC99";}

This works fine in IE, but Netsccape throws the color to this nasty green color instead of the browser safe gold color "#CCCC99". I looked at the code a bit further and realized that in your tag or CSS, you don't need the quotes around it like you should use throughout the rest of your HTML. If the color is put in without the quotes around it like this #CCCC99. The color shows up fine in Netscape.

Comments

• : It's amazing to me after all I've learned, that there are even more reasons to dislike Netscape browsers. As if there weren't enough reasons already! I just found out another thing Netscape just can't handle that IE does with ease. Below is one of my entries inside my tag.
    :
    : .Date {font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; color: "#CCCC99";}
    :
    : This works fine in IE, but Netsccape throws the color to this nasty green color instead of the browser safe gold color "#CCCC99". I looked at the code a bit further and realized that in your tag or CSS, you don't need the quotes around it like you should use throughout the rest of your HTML. If the color is put in without the quotes around it like this #CCCC99. The color shows up fine in Netscape.
    :

Sure, but no web browser is perfect. One reason to like Netscape is because it isn't IE. Hey, at least if you create this file:-

And load it in Netscape, it won't crash. I think you'll find it will reliably take out IE. Some M$ programmer is currently getting ripped I'll bet... :-) What Netscape are you using?

As for the problem - what do the actual W3C specifications say on this? You may find that Netscape's lack of acceptance of you putting "qoutes" in a style sheet is because it's following the specifications. In my experience, at least in the latest (e.g. not version 4) tree of Netscape, the Gecko engine is more W3C compliant than IE ('cus M$ put all kinds of extensions in). Having said that, it's not perfect and it may have it wrong here.

Netscape is based on Mozilla these days, which is an open source project. So if you feel this is a bug, I suggest you mention in to them. If Netscape was proprietry like IE is I may join in your poking at it, but as it's now an open source effort, I think it's better to work with rather than against those developing it and help them make it a browser you want to work with. :-)

Take care,

Jonathan

###
    # Example Of Perl 6 Syntax.
    push @will, my Power $button;
    my $hardware is Useless but Valuable;
    do ($nothing) while $i.work and print $stuff;
    push (@will, my Off $button) and die "with me";

• the reasent versions of netscape (7.0, 7.2). Are becoming just as good as IE. Your problem is that you don't follow the web standards or are just too picky to notice when you're making a silly complaint.

You don't have touse quotes around everything. better yet the browser should know when you need and don't need quotes because it a machine.
    If you look at the code you posted: [code]font-family: Times New Roman [/code] why didn't you put quotes around the font name? it's pretty obvious that that would need quotes. Isn't it? Why didn'tyou put 13px in quotes? I though everybody knew that hex numbers where numbers andnot strings.

Bugs are common to all browsers. There's no need to pick on netscape with such a lame excuse.

I had a big problem with ns7 but they fixed it in 7.2. That is a little problem.
    [hr]check out my current projects: http://www.owensoft.net

• : the reasent versions of netscape (7.0, 7.2). Are becoming just as
    : good as IE. Your problem is that you don't follow the web standards
    : or are just too picky to notice when you're making a silly complaint.
    :
    : You don't have touse quotes around everything. better yet the
    : browser should know when you need and don't need quotes because it a
    : machine.
    : If you look at the code you posted: [code]font-family: Times New
    : Roman [/code] why didn't you put quotes around the font name? it's
    : pretty obvious that that would need quotes. Isn't it? Why didn'tyou
    : put 13px in quotes? I though everybody knew that hex numbers where
    : numbers andnot strings.
    Agree. I didn't actually see it that way; I was thinking more along the lines of "it doesn't contain spaces so no need for quotes", but you're right. I'm not convinced you need quotes anywhere though in a style sheet? May be wrong.

: Bugs are common to all browsers. There's no need to pick on
    : netscape with such a lame excuse.
    :
    : I had a big problem with ns7 but they fixed it in 7.2.
    The joys of open source compared to Microsoft's stuff.

I'm curious if anyone uses Konquerer and/or Opera? I've played with the first of those a bit and it seems pretty good. :-)

Jonathan

###

• : the reasent versions of netscape (7.0, 7.2). Are becoming just as good as IE. Your problem is that you don't follow the web standards or are just too picky to notice when you're making a silly complaint.
    :
    : You don't have touse quotes around everything. better yet the browser should know when you need and don't need quotes because it a machine.
    : If you look at the code you posted: [code]font-family: Times New Roman [/code] why didn't you put quotes around the font name? it's pretty obvious that that would need quotes. Isn't it? Why didn'tyou put 13px in quotes? I though everybody knew that hex numbers where numbers andnot strings.
    :
    : Bugs are common to all browsers. There's no need to pick on netscape with such a lame excuse.
    :
    : I had a big problem with ns7 but they fixed it in 7.2. That is a little problem.
    : [hr]check out my current projects: http://www.owensoft.net
    :
    :
    Good points, but I was talking about Netscape 4 & 6. No excuses here. I just can't stand Netscape.
  • : Good points, but I was talking about Netscape 4 & 6. No excuses
    : here. I just can't stand Netscape.

Sure, your entitled to your opinion. If you don't like Netscape, don't use it, but remember people visitng your site might be so you can't really overlook it.

Netscape 4 was written a while back and if you're comparing it with the latest versions of IE then it's hardly surprising that you've got problems. Things exist now that simply weren't around when it's rendering engine was written. Netscape 6 had a new engine written from scratch (Gecko) and sure, it had it's problems, but they've taken the time to address them and there are people working on this very hard in the Mozilla project. And yes, they are getting there.

Try grabbing yourself an up to date version of Netscape and see how that measures up for you, or maybe better still get Mozilla 1.3. It may change your mind, if you're willing to re-evaluate things after further development rather than saying "it used to suck and thus does now and will forever more". On the other hand, it might not be. If not, as I said, it's open source and your contributions would probaly be welcomed by the development team.

Cya,

Jonathan

###

• : the reasent versions of netscape (7.0, 7.2). Are becoming just as good as IE. Your problem is that you don't follow the web standards or are just too picky to notice when you're making a silly complaint.
    :
    : You don't have touse quotes around everything. better yet the browser should know when you need and don't need quotes because it a machine.
    : If you look at the code you posted: [code]font-family: Times New Roman [/code] why didn't you put quotes around the font name? it's pretty obvious that that would need quotes. Isn't it? Why didn'tyou put 13px in quotes? I though everybody knew that hex numbers where numbers andnot strings.
    :
    : Bugs are common to all browsers. There's no need to pick on netscape with such a lame excuse.
    :
    : I had a big problem with ns7 but they fixed it in 7.2. That is a little problem.
    :
    :
    You said, "You don't have touse quotes around everything. better yet the browser should know when you need and don't need quotes because it a machine."

I disagree. Older versions of Netscape won't read all values that aren't quoted. I know because it happened to me before. I always quote an attribute's variables. Writing proper readable code is important. Read a few books on web development. Here's a quote from a book of mine:

Item To Be Formatted
    For all HTML attributes, it is safe to quote their values. However, if the value is a number, it is sometimes not necessary to quote it. Nevertheless, we prefer to quote ALL values.

"Fundamentals Of The Internet" by Greenlaw and Hepp.
    Publisher McGraw Hill

• : You said, "You don't have touse quotes around everything. better
    : yet the browser should know when you need and don't need quotes
    : because it a machine."
    :
    : I disagree. Older versions of Netscape won't read all values that
    : aren't quoted. I know because it happened to me before. I always
    : quote an attribute's variables. Writing proper readable code is
    : important. Read a few books on web development. Here's a quote
    : from a book of mine:
    :
    : Item To Be Formatted
    : For all HTML attributes, it is safe to quote their values. However,
    : if the value is a number, it is sometimes not necessary to quote
    : it. Nevertheless, we prefer to quote ALL values.
    :
    : "Fundamentals Of The Internet" by Greenlaw and Hepp.
    : Publisher McGraw Hill

Yes. "For all ***HTML*** values...". Read a few more books on web development and you'll discover that what you were complaining about the handling of was CSS, and not HTML. They are different!

From this document:-
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html

Read this:-

A is either a keyword or a numerical RGB specification.

And this:-

Keywords must not be placed between quotes ("..." or '...').

Here is the gory details:-

[red]The list of keyword color names is: aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow. These 16 colors are defined in HTML 4.0 ([HTML40]). In addition to these color keywords, users may specify keywords that correspond to the colors used by certain objects in the user's environment. Please consult the section on system colors for more information.

Example(s):

BODY {color: black; background: white }
    H1 { color: maroon }
    H2 { color: olive }

The RGB color model is used in numerical color specifications. These examples all specify the same color:

Example(s):

EM { color: #f00 } /* #rgb */
    EM { color: #ff0000 } /* #rrggbb */
    EM { color: rgb(255,0,0) } /* integer range 0 - 255 */
    EM { color: rgb(100%, 0%, 0%) } /* float range 0.0% - 100.0% */

The format of an RGB value in hexadecimal notation is a '#' immediately followed by either three or six hexadecimal characters. The three-digit RGB notation (#rgb) is converted into six-digit form (#rrggbb) by replicating digits, not by adding zeros. For example, #fb0 expands to #ffbb00. This ensures that white (#ffffff) can be specified with the short notation (#fff) and removes any dependencies on the color depth of the display.

[/red]

So it looks like Netscape has got it right after all.

Jonathan

###

• You should check out http://www.w3schools.com , they have tutorials/refferences on all web standards (css, css2, xhtml, etc...)

If you're still not sure if your page is standard compliant, there are plenty of validators out there.
    For example, you can get your stylesheet validated here http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Off course having a standard compliant webpage doesn't mean your page will look good in all browsers. I test all my pages with IE (6), Mozilla (1.3) and Opera (7) and every browser gives a different result, but usually Opera's and Mozilla's results are better. But seeing as the majority still uses IE ... :-(
  • I like IE because I'm used to the interface. I dislike Netscape becuase of all those other programs it attempts to implement with it. I tried Mozilla, too, but it's so much slower than IE (and I HATE having a splash screen) that I only use it for debugging.

: : It's amazing to me after all I've learned, that there are even more reasons to dislike Netscape browsers. As if there weren't enough reasons already! I just found out another thing Netscape just can't handle that IE does with ease. Below is one of my entries inside my tag.
    : :
    : : .Date {font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; color: "#CCCC99";}
    : : This works fine in IE, but Netsccape throws the color to this nasty green color instead of the browser safe gold color "#CCCC99". I looked at the code a bit further and realized that in your tag or CSS, you don't need the quotes around it like you should use throughout the rest of your HTML. If the color is put in without the quotes around it like this #CCCC99. The color shows up fine in Netscape.
    :
    : Sure, but no web browser is perfect. One reason to like Netscape is because it isn't IE. Hey, at least if you create this file:-
    :
    :
    :
    : And load it in Netscape, it won't crash. I think you'll find it will reliably take out IE. Some M$ programmer is currently getting ripped I'll bet... :-) What Netscape are you using?
    :
    : As for the problem - what do the actual W3C specifications say on this? You may find that Netscape's lack of acceptance of you putting "qoutes" in a style sheet is because it's following the specifications. In my experience, at least in the latest (e.g. not version 4) tree of Netscape, the Gecko engine is more W3C compliant than IE ('cus M$ put all kinds of extensions in). Having said that, it's not perfect and it may have it wrong here.
    :
    : Netscape is based on Mozilla these days, which is an open source project. So if you feel this is a bug, I suggest you mention in to them. If Netscape was proprietry like IE is I may join in your poking at it, but as it's now an open source effort, I think it's better to work with rather than against those developing it and help them make it a browser you want to work with. :-)
    :
    : Take care,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : # Example Of Perl 6 Syntax.
    : push @will, my Power $button;
    : my $hardware is Useless but Valuable;
    : do ($nothing) while $i.work and print $stuff;
    : push (@will, my Off $button) and die "with me";
    :
    :

http://www.ocdn.fairmount.nu/ - Omnisoft - Quality webmaster scripts and services.

• SO even without reading the rest of the thread I just like to say that this shows your programming skills are garbage!
    Wrong things should NOT work, normally. Netscape is far better than any IE. So you better read documentation and learn how to do things right and afterwards I'd like to see what you like better then!
    good luck, buddy ;-)

: It's amazing to me after all I've learned, that there are even more reasons to dislike Netscape browsers. As if there weren't enough reasons already! I just found out another thing Netscape just can't handle that IE does with ease. Below is one of my entries inside my tag.
    :
    : .Date {font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; color: "#CCCC99";}
    :
    : This works fine in IE, but Netsccape throws the color to this nasty green color instead of the browser safe gold color "#CCCC99". I looked at the code a bit further and realized that in your tag or CSS, you don't need the quotes around it like you should use throughout the rest of your HTML. If the color is put in without the quotes around it like this #CCCC99. The color shows up fine in Netscape.
    :

:
    :
    :
    :
    :

You may be right that Netscape has improved
    but on Netscap Navigator 6 style sheet does not work
    Although I don't use qoutes in CSS

• [green]
    This is what I've learnt:
    1. There is something called a 'specification'.
    2. Some people follow it to a T, not bothering about enchancements
    and real-world implementations. Opera and Netscape are such.
    3. IE does what MS wants. Follow specs, but to your own terms.
    The reason why you and everybody else thinks that Netscape etc.
    suck is cos IE comes with your OS. Once you're used to something,
    no matter how silly, you dont want to change. Thats human nature.

Ask any unix or linux user: they say windows sucks. Ask any
    Widnows users, and they say Linux and unix sucks.
    Dont you Wonder why ?
    [/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]