Day in the life....

For what its worth, with most posts being, 'how do i get into games coding' etc etc. This is what you could be letting yourself in for... Maybe you'll change your minds after ?
9:30 am.
Do review build for producers. Review build works on dev kit ( expensive debug helping tool ) , doesn't work on test station( cheap nasty no-help-if-it screws-up tool ). All you have is register dump. Look at register RA ( return address ) examine map file to find function it blows up in and find coder that wrote it using detective powers and the force.

11:15 am.
Code is fine, Artist exported data using new skeletal animation library which was pre-released to them and not the game coders. So game coders use old version, designers use some hybrid. == 1/2 day wasted just so level of detail could be tested on a model which turned itself off before its lowest level of detail kicked in, GAH.

11:20 am.
fun part of the day, continue writing dropship code, dropship must fly itself much like a helicopter, uses existing Ai system to gather Ai waypoints to find a path to follow, Oh, also plz fly like a real dropship would. Phsyics system cant handle objects over 300 kilo's and dropship is the size of nabraska ( thats a shed load more than 300 kilo's ). LARGE fudge for effect is required.

1.pm, hammer most of office at rocket arena coz i'm like that.
2.pm, write steering code to create axis torque in appropriate direction for Dropship to steer to target.
2.30pm Dropship wobbles like a jelly, steering code needs angular velocity compensator to counteract steering torque and hopefully lose that nasty pendulum efect.
3.00pm, Dropship needs self righting code when it get walloped by the good guys weapon. Also needs tailjet steering force, but thats a force and not a torque so if you poke its arse out, it'll move as well as spin. Producer points at my schedule that says 'Dropship 2 days' I belly laugh, almost pass out and nearly break the chair. Producer gives me 1 more day and a dirty loook. I realise, 'dropship has to drop bad guys off' Designer cant set what bad guys to drop off cause tools coder hasn't implemented it due to creative producer having overlooked the fact that the game needs to be fun.

4.00pm, new codewarrior ide+compiler upgrade. Project now gives 2000 warnings.
4:30pm project now down to 1900 warnings. class constructors pass temporary pointers ( nasty ) and we never knew. How did the game ever work ?
5:15 pm wrote new assert debug code for team. pc compiler has no idea how to compile it, ps2 compiler loves it dearly, game cube pretends its ok but chokes when it tries to execute it. Oh the joy.

6.00pm. producer brings boss around to see my broken dropship that i still havent finsished. They belly laugh but dont break their chairs cause they have those expensive leather clad pneumatic types, complete with cigar dispensers.

7.00pm. I lock up.

7.30 Consider the florist job.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:6:16[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:1:57[/red][/b][hr]
    You should change the title to:

A [bad] day in the life...lol

Where did you get this by the way? If you want to get into the feild of "programming games", I must admit, most of you are in for a tough, rocky road. But making games is so great because of the outcome; what you achieve through it. It is quite a challenge though. At least that's what I here. Read this for a more in-depth article:

http://www.gametutorials.com/Articles/GameIndustryCareer.htm

That at least gives you the whole idea of what it like - from someone who knows. Not at all like the low-down stuff you posted. There are many, MANY different sides and opinons on what programming games is like, and I think that this article gives you a much better idea. It's quite a read.

• [b][red]This message was edited by Wudan at 2003-7-4 18:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    Hi Funky !
    More like a 'Normal day in the life' :) Well, here we go ! My plan was to enlighten some on the real life events of a games programmer. As it happens, I didn't get it from 'anywhere'. Its a true life account of my job from my prev week! You see, I write games in order to for a living !. well, Infact, I've been writing games for over 12 yrs, and programing for over 24 yrs :/ Some may say that you can surf the net and grab as many articles as you like saying, 'hey, its ace'. I'm just saying that i've been there, read the book, seen the film and ate the pie. Also, i'm vegetarian, and the pie isn't. Still, a pie is a pie. Unfortunately, even if you eat meat, when you dig you're fork into it you may find its full of apple. Weird analogy i know, but hey, I write games. Anyway...It doesn't mean its not fun! That's for another topic. But lets just say, when I wanted to get into it, I ( without internet, all those years ago, oh all those yrs ago !! ) heard about how cool games coding was and was hooked. It boils down to games coding for a living is not 'all the glory' that you might think it is. Oh, no I hear you say ! Sorry boys ( and girls ), but thats life eh !

• [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-5 11:19:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi Funky !
    : More like a 'Normal day in the life' :) Well, here we go ! My plan was to enlighten some on the real life events of a games programmer. As it happens, I didn't get it from 'anywhere'. Its a true life account of my job from my prev week! You see, I write games in order to for a living !. well, Infact, I've been writing games for over 12 yrs, and programing for over 24 yrs :/ Some may say that you can surf the net and grab as many articles as you like saying, 'hey, its ace'. I'm just saying that i've been there, read the book, seen the film and ate the pie. Also, i'm vegetarian, and the pie isn't. Still, a pie is a pie. Unfortunately, even if you eat meat, when you dig you're fork into it you may find its full of apple. Weird analogy i know, but hey, I write games. Anyway...It doesn't mean its not fun! That's for another topic. But lets just say, when I wanted to get into it, I ( without internet, all those years ago, oh all those yrs ago !! ) heard about how cool games coding was and was hooked. It boils down to games coding for a living is not 'all the glory' that you might think it is. Oh, no I hear you say ! Sorry boys ( and girls ), but thats life eh !
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Um, OK...Just have a few questions...since it's not everyday you meet a proffesional game programmer on a message board.

Mind if I ask, who do you program games for? (ie. MS, Ninty, or Sony)?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were some games you helped develop? Sorry, just curious :)

Also, where did you get most of you're education?

And are you considering getting a florist job? (Sorry, but I just don't understand how that would be more exciting. Maybe you could explain?).

Why didn't you quit along time ago if you knew you didn't like it? 12 years is along time...

I've also met a pro game programmer before who currently works at Microsoft. He says he's thrilled about his job, and just loves it. I was curious, what aspects, specifically, of your job didn't you like? You must like programming, since you've been doing it way before you got your job.

Thanks in advance.

• Hey Wudan.

Nice to hear exactly what it is like in real life.

I think i would rather have all that hassel and be a programmer than have a boring job serving people in a shop. Same stuff every day. Here's your stuff. Give me your cash.

Cheers Mate :)

: [b][red]This message was edited by Wudan at 2003-7-4 18:8:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi Funky !
    : More like a 'Normal day in the life' :) Well, here we go ! My plan was to enlighten some on the real life events of a games programmer. As it happens, I didn't get it from 'anywhere'. Its a true life account of my job from my prev week! You see, I write games in order to for a living !. well, Infact, I've been writing games for over 12 yrs, and programing for over 24 yrs :/ Some may say that you can surf the net and grab as many articles as you like saying, 'hey, its ace'. I'm just saying that i've been there, read the book, seen the film and ate the pie. Also, i'm vegetarian, and the pie isn't. Still, a pie is a pie. Unfortunately, even if you eat meat, when you dig you're fork into it you may find its full of apple. Weird analogy i know, but hey, I write games. Anyway...It doesn't mean its not fun! That's for another topic. But lets just say, when I wanted to get into it, I ( without internet, all those years ago, oh all those yrs ago !! ) heard about how cool games coding was and was hooked. It boils down to games coding for a living is not 'all the glory' that you might think it is. Oh, no I hear you say ! Sorry boys ( and girls ), but thats life eh !
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• : Um, OK...Just have a few questions...since it's not everyday you meet a proffesional game programmer on a message board.
    :
    : Mind if I ask, who do you program games for? (ie. MS, Ninty, or Sony)?

Nope, I dont mind :) If you mean Xbox, Gamecube & ps2, yes, all of them.

: Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were some games you helped develop? Sorry, just curious :)

Latest released were the striker series ( footy games ), redneck racing/hostile waters for rage software. Since then I've moved to a different company. My profile has their url if your interested.

: Also, where did you get most of you're education?
    Late nights in my bedroom with a vic-20. 3.5k of ram, oh those good old days :D I programmed in my spare time & was lucky enough to get a trainee coder position because I wrote them a demo in less than a week. So you could say i'm self taught.

: And are you considering getting a florist job? (Sorry, but I just don't understand how that would be more exciting. Maybe you could explain?).

This is just my pathetic attaempt at sarcasm. I'm presuming a florist would have less pressuse and a nicer smelling office :D

:
    : Why didn't you quit along time ago if you knew you didn't like it? 12 years is along time...

I didn't say I didnt't like it.

: I've also met a pro game programmer before who currently works at Microsoft. He says he's thrilled about his job, and just loves it. I was curious, what aspects, specifically, of your job didn't you like? You must like programming, since you've been doing it way before you got your job.
    All jobs have their ups and downs. That was what I was trying to explain. Most posters that want to get into this industry believe that its all rosey. Although I'd still rather do nothing else :)

: Thanks in advance.

np

:

• So you must of been programming games way back when Super NES was introduced, am I right? Did you ever make super mario games and classics like those?
  • Hi Again :)

: So you must of been programming games way back when Super NES was introduced, am I right? Did you ever make super mario games and classics like those?

i've worked on 4 snes titles, although none as classic as super mario. my first was on the amiga, remember that ?. Anyway, we digress slightly :D
  • Cool! you programmed on the amiga. I'm a bit of a miggy fan. If i had the cash i would have one that could replace my windows box.

Did you program it in asm? Would presume so? What game was it?

: Hi Again :)
    :
    : : So you must of been programming games way back when Super NES was introduced, am I right? Did you ever make super mario games and classics like those?
    :
    : i've worked on 4 snes titles, although none as classic as super mario. my first was on the amiga, remember that ?. Anyway, we digress slightly :D
    :

• : Did you program it in asm? Would presume so? What game was it?

Yes, 68000 assembler. Its called caveman ninja.

• hey Static.
    Yeah, it is more exciting, and ( for me ) its one of those jobs where i kick myself cause the boss is actualy PAYING me to do it :D

If you want it bad enough, you'll do it somehow ! Just got to stick with it :)

email me if you need any help