How green was my valley

2»

Comments

• : I like swing but prefer ragtaim. My favourite jazz band consists of piano, drums, base, guitar and /or saxophone. That's why I like Ray Brown quartet, Monty Alexander, Alessandro Sandoval (piano), Chick Corea. I've never plaied any musical instruments because my musical possibilities is close to zero. If my wife tries to argue with me, I am telling her that I'm going to start to sing. She preferes to stop argue instead of listening my singing. It's awful(my singing) but I love jazz.

I definitely love the style of Ragtime, but it seems to be a fairly narrow genre. Have you ever heard the Gypsy Kings? They're not Jazz, but I bet you would like them.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• : : I like swing but prefer ragtaim. My favourite jazz band consists of piano, drums, base, guitar and /or saxophone. That's why I like Ray Brown quartet, Monty Alexander, Alessandro Sandoval (piano), Chick Corea. I've never plaied any musical instruments because my musical possibilities is close to zero. If my wife tries to argue with me, I am telling her that I'm going to start to sing. She preferes to stop argue instead of listening my singing. It's awful(my singing) but I love jazz.
    :
    : I definitely love the style of Ragtime, but it seems to be a fairly narrow genre. Have you ever heard the Gypsy Kings? They're not Jazz, but I bet you would like them.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

I am not sure I know what the difference between Jazz and Ragtime is.
    It's like all those questions in the messageboards which starts "I am a newbie...".The thing is that I don't have a deep undersatnding of the
    genre of songs I listen to , some I like for the rhythm ,some I like for the lyrics.
    Fair enough ?

Faustine
    --------

• : : I like swing but prefer ragtaim. My favourite jazz band consists of piano, drums, base, guitar and /or saxophone. That's why I like Ray Brown quartet, Monty Alexander, Alessandro Sandoval (piano), Chick Corea. I've never plaied any musical instruments because my musical possibilities is close to zero. If my wife tries to argue with me, I am telling her that I'm going to start to sing. She preferes to stop argue instead of listening my singing. It's awful(my singing) but I love jazz.
    :
    : I definitely love the style of Ragtime, but it seems to be a fairly narrow genre. Have you ever heard the Gypsy Kings? They're not Jazz, but I bet you would like them.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    Name says me nothing but may be I've heard music. Jazz is my favourite but I like any kind of good music including classical, rock. I love The Beatles. I can even listen as a background Back Street Boys or some country songs. I do not like RAP which is not music for me and HATE noise like heavy metal.

• : I am not sure I know what the difference between Jazz and Ragtime is.
    : It's like all those questions in the messageboards which starts "I am a newbie...".The thing is that I don't have a deep undersatnding of the
    : genre of songs I listen to , some I like for the rhythm ,some I like for the lyrics.
    : Fair enough ?
    :
    : Faustine
    : --------
    There are a several different styles of Jazz music. Ragtime one of them. It's not easy, at least for me because I do not know the notes and musical therminalogy, to explain verbaly how they are different from each other. You have to listen music. If you will start listen jazz, you will love it and understand.
    :
    :

• :
    : : I am not sure I know what the difference between Jazz and Ragtime is.
    : : It's like all those questions in the messageboards which starts "I am a newbie...".The thing is that I don't have a deep undersatnding of the
    : : genre of songs I listen to , some I like for the rhythm ,some I like for the lyrics.
    : : Fair enough ?
    : :
    : : Faustine
    : : --------
    : There are a several different styles of Jazz music. Ragtime one of them. It's not easy, at least for me because I do not know the notes and musical therminalogy, to explain verbaly how they are different from each other. You have to listen music. If you will start listen jazz, you will love it and understand.
    :

Thanks for the info,I will try from jazz up.Maybe I will learn something.

Faustine
    --------
    :

• : I am not sure I know what the difference between Jazz and Ragtime is.
    : It's like all those questions in the messageboards which starts "I am a newbie...".The thing is that I don't have a deep undersatnding of the

The term "Jazz" is a bit like the term "classical". Classical can mean Classical, or Baroque, or Romantic, or Modern, or Post-modern, etc etc etc. Jazz covers Blues, Ragtime, Bebop, Dixieland (speaking of Dixie, you ever heard of Al Hirt, lionb?), Swing, Fusion, etc etc etc. Although, I think technically Blues is not an offspring of Jazz, more like a cousin, I think.

Ragtime is the kind of music characterized by piano players in the Saloons and Brothels of the Old West frontier (cowboys and gunslingers, howdy pard'ner, etc) if that gives you any clue.

• Jazz covers Blues, Ragtime, Bebop, Dixieland (speaking of Dixie, you ever heard of Al Hirt, lionb
    [blue]World's Top Trumpeter (15 different years) choosen by Playboy magazine? Yes, I do. I also remember him in film 'Rome Adventure'. I like Dixieland. A few years ago I worked in Jackson, Mississippi. That city lockates just 2 hours from NewOrleans. I could not lose the opportunity to visit almamater of the Jazz and visited New Orleans several times. It was heaven for me. Real Jazz was everywhere on streets, restorants, boats. A lot of Dixieland. It was fun [/blue].
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-7-14 11:30:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : Sorry about intrusion. 'Take five' Dave Brubeck. How about that song?
    : : :
    : : : Hrm, not familiar with that one. Might recognize it if I heard it, but not by name. Sorry.
    : : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : It's possible that I misspelled song or author name. It's famous Dave Brubeck jazz composition. IMO it's his best composition, master piece and master piece of world jazz music.
    : Well, I did not misspel song's or musician's name but misspeleld word 'interested' I also was wrong about author of this composition. It was Desmond not Brubeck. Brubeck just played this piece but he plays it perfectly ... If you are interested, you can find some information at http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/brubeck_dave/bio.jhtml
    : Seems to me just one jazz lover at this board. It's me.
    :

Not at all lionb, I love jazz. In fact I am in a jazz band at the moment. What instrument did you play in your band, infidel?

[italic][RED][blue]d[/blue]odge[/RED][/italic]
  • : What instrument did you play in your band, infidel?

trombone

• : [b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-7-14 11:30:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : Sorry about intrusion. 'Take five' Dave Brubeck. How about that song?
    : : : Hrm, not familiar with that one. Might recognize it if I heard it, but not by name. Sorry.
    : : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : It's possible that I misspelled song or author name. It's famous Dave Brubeck jazz composition. IMO it's his best composition, master piece and master piece of world jazz music.
    : Well, I did not misspel song's or musician's name but misspeleld word 'interested' I also was wrong about author of this composition. It was Desmond not Brubeck. Brubeck just played this piece but he plays it perfectly ... If you are interested, you can find some information at http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/brubeck_dave/bio.jhtml
    : Seems to me just one jazz lover at this board. It's me.
    :

Cool. I play the double bass.

[italic][RED][blue]d[/blue]odge[/RED][/italic]