Handles

13»

Comments

• : : I figured that.It IS a nice handle.
    :
    : I'm quite fond of it :-)
    :

:
    : I started going originally just to debate evolution. I learned quickly that it doesn't matter how convincing you are to any given Christian. Come tomorrow, there will be another one repeating the same old invalid arguments all over again. Christians are like the Borg sometimes. Always trying to assimilate others and very humorless when they are challenged ;-)
    [blue]Have you ever tried to debate with people from other religious group? Like muslims, buddist, jewish? You know I am not religous at all and not going to start new debate wtih you, just curious. This qustion may be to personal, so you do not have to reply[/blue]
  • : [blue]Have you ever tried to debate with people from other religious group? Like muslims, buddist, jewish? You know I am not religous at all and not going to start new debate wtih you, just curious. This qustion may be to personal, so you do not have to reply[/blue]

That's a fair question. Primarily Christians. Jews and Muslims are less common and I'm not as familiar with those religions aside from the common roots they share with the Christians. I know there are fanatics of all creeds, but Christians are the most prevalent. Especially here in the USA where they threaten my civil liberties more than any other group.

To be honest, there's nothing really I've found to debate with true buddhists. I mean, there are those who treat Buddha as some form of diety, but they are not common. All the buddhists I've ever encountered personally were extremely polite, infallibly logical, and very interesting to chat with. If you go to beliefnet.org (I think) you can take a "quiz" where you answer various questions and it rates your answers against the main religions of the world and gives you percentages. It's not scientific, but it's kind of fun. My answers match Islam, Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity only 10% while they match Buddhism, Atheism, and Taoism over 90%. I feel a general affinity for Buddhism and it's teachings.

The Dalai Lama was once asked what would happen if science proved Buddhism wrong. He said that Buddhism would have to change. Try asking other religious figures that question and see what happens. ;-)

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• as always, i agree with infidel about topics like religion. :-D

: : I figured that.It IS a nice handle.
    :
    :
    : : Any particular reason why you are undertaking this crusade in the Christian chat rooms ? Are you just frustrated seing the dumb faith.
    : : I get a feeling I am getting into something that I might not be able to handle.
    :
    : I don't anymore. My current employer doesn't allow that kind of time spent online.
    :
    : I started going originally just to debate evolution. I learned quickly that it doesn't matter how convincing you are to any given Christian. Come tomorrow, there will be another one repeating the same old invalid arguments all over again. Christians are like the Borg sometimes. Always trying to assimilate others and very humorless when they are challenged ;-)
    :
    : "Dumb faith" doesn't frustrate me so much as fascinate me, much like the feeling you get passing an accident on the highway and you just have to look to see how mangled the vehicles are.
    :
    : Anyways, over time I made some friends there and even started reading the Bible to participate more in conversations. I'm particularly fond of Ecclesiastes. It's been a while, but I think the books I've read start to finish are: Genesis, Ecclesiastes, John, I John, II John, III John, Revelation. Maybe a few others but I can't remember. I love history and anthropology as well as science, so religion is interesting to me in that regard. If you can get past the creation/evolution debates and that kind of thing, there are some great discussions to be had.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    url--> http://space.servehttp.com (ssh,ftp,http,stmp,imap etc etc)

• hey, i accidentally did a similar test today on some other site. I had almost the same score as you.

>Islam, Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity only 10%
    i had 20%, same types of religion
    >Buddhism, Atheism, and Taoism over 90%
    of course, 100%-20% ;-)

i think i gained a higher score for the 1st set of religions because of the question:"is there something after THIS life". I said that i'm not sure. i could be wrong though ;-)

If you go to beliefnet.org (I think) you can take a "quiz" where you answer various questions and it rates your answers against the main religions of the world and gives you percentages. It's not scientific, but it's kind of fun. My answers match Islam, Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity only 10% while they match Buddhism, Atheism, and Taoism over 90%. I feel a general affinity for Buddhism and it's teachings.
    :
    : The Dalai Lama was once asked what would happen if science proved Buddhism wrong. He said that Buddhism would have to change. Try asking other religious figures that question and see what happens. ;-)
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    url--> http://space.servehttp.com (ssh,ftp,http,stmp,imap etc etc)

• : : I figured that.It IS a nice handle.
    :
    :
    : : Any particular reason why you are undertaking this crusade in the Christian chat rooms ? Are you just frustrated seing the dumb faith.
    : : I get a feeling I am getting into something that I might not be able to handle.
    :
    : I don't anymore. My current employer doesn't allow that kind of time spent online.
    [red]It's the only good thing about my present jo.Wherever I may Roam....:-)[/red]
    :
    [red]Getting defensive when we run out of arguments is natural,I guess.
    Christians are human too ?[/red]
    :
    : "Dumb faith" doesn't frustrate me so much as fascinate me, much like the feeling you get passing an accident on the highway and you just have to look to see how mangled the vehicles are.
    [red]Nicely put,It hurts :-)[/red]
    :
    : Anyways, over time I made some friends there and even started reading the Bible to participate more in conversations. I'm particularly fond of Ecclesiastes. It's been a while, but I think the books I've read start to finish are: Genesis, Ecclesiastes, John, I John, II John, III John, Revelation. Maybe a few others but I can't remember. I love history and anthropology as well as science, so religion is interesting to me in that regard. If you can get past the creation/evolution debates and that kind of thing, there are some great discussions to be had.
    [red]You seem to have read more Bible than I do.This faith is something that I acquired thu' birth.Whenever i get into a tight corner,it's comforting to think that someone is Up There for me.I have no fight against other religions or atheists.They have their faith and I have mine.Even having no faith is a kind of faith ? It does have a label.I am not a missionary,but a "practising catholic" .More flexible and by my nature i do respect most people view of things .Maybe not accept all,but usually understands it or tries to.[/red]
    :
    :
    Faustine
    --------:
    :