Please help a newb

Hi. I'm new to C++ programming. The only programming I know is some very basic basic. I am wondering if there is a guide to beginning c++ on the net that I can get for free and that I can understand. I would prefer that it be a complete guide, not just articles explaining specific features. I know that this is probably near impossible, but i'm too poor to buy a guide. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Comments

• Then read your compilers documentation.
    [hr]
    When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics

• : Hi. I'm new to C++ programming. The only programming I know is some very basic basic. I am wondering if there is a guide to beginning c++ on the net that I can get for free and that I can understand. I would prefer that it be a complete guide, not just articles explaining specific features. I know that this is probably near impossible, but i'm too poor to buy a guide. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)
    :

I don't think there is anything that comprehensive on the net. And you won't find everything you need in one book either because the entire subject of c/c++ is just too complex. start out by buying an introduction to c++ programming book and go from there. Yes they are expensive, but if you are serious about learning the language then you will need it (books). If you can't afford to buy one, look in your local public library.

• Hey dude,
    there isn't any totally complete guide to any programming language on the net. You gotta decide what you next wanna learn. Like maybe you want to learn file-handling or something like that. Look it up at www.google.com or use Kazaa to locate a book (maybe that won't be soooo legal, but desperate times...)
    the best bet is Google. If you're still having trouble reply to this message of mine telling me what you know so far and what you want to learn. I volunteerto help you narrow down ur search.
    best of luck, its not impossible to learn from the net alone. I learnt assembly, asp, c, c++, mysql, vbscript, html, javascript and debug from the net only!
    keep the faith dude!
  • : Hey dude,
    : there isn't any totally complete guide to any programming language on the net. You gotta decide what you next wanna learn. Like maybe you want to learn file-handling or something like that. Look it up at www.google.com or use Kazaa to locate a book (maybe that won't be soooo legal, but desperate times...)
    : the best bet is Google. If you're still having trouble reply to this message of mine telling me what you know so far and what you want to learn. I volunteerto help you narrow down ur search.
    : best of luck, its not impossible to learn from the net alone. I learnt assembly, asp, c, c++, mysql, vbscript, html, javascript and debug from the net only!
    : keep the faith dude!
    :
    When I wanted to get started I got .. I think it is 4 books:

C++ or VC++ for dummies. (cannot rem which at the moment) very basic.
    Mastering VC++.

heck I cannot rem the names of them (they at home, I at work. sorry)

XsirAubrey
    The search for knowledge is endless.

• My wife emailed me my book list:

C++ for Dummies.
    Mastering VC++.
    Black Art of Game Programming in C++
    3D game engine design
    multiplayer game programming
    3D game programming with C++
    Game design - Secrets of the sages
    introduction to visual C

XsirAubrey
    The search for knowledge is endless.

• : : Hi. I'm new to C++ programming. The only programming I know is some very basic basic. I am wondering if there is a guide to beginning c++ on the net that I can get for free and that I can understand. I would prefer that it be a complete guide, not just articles explaining specific features. I know that this is probably near impossible, but i'm too poor to buy a guide. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)
    : :
    :
    : I don't think there is anything that comprehensive on the net. And you won't find everything you need in one book either because the entire subject of c/c++ is just too complex. start out by buying an introduction to c++ programming book and go from there. Yes they are expensive, but if you are serious about learning the language then you will need it (books). If you can't afford to buy one, look in your local public library.

I agree. Books are (still/for now) the way to go. I have the Effective/More Effective C++ books on CD, and that is good for me while traveling. But I still use the books when in the office.

Once you get a good intro book and know the basics, then I would recommend that you get (in this order):

Effective C++ (Meyers)
    An intro STL book (I like "STL From The Ground Up" by Schildt)
    More Effective C++ (Meyers)
    Design Patterns (Gamma, et al)
    Exceptional C++ (Sutter)
    More Exceptional C++ (Sutter)
    Modern C++ Design (Alexandrescu) -- super tough template programming

Matt.