BASICA execution on newer machines - HELP!

I have hundreds of BASICA 3.0 programs that are currently being executed on my systems (Dual-diskette XT, XT286, and PS2Mod35), none of which I have been able to execute on any later system (I now need the increased speed and disk space not previously available). I run on IBM-PCDOS 6.2 (and lower during compatability testing). What is happening on my newer Pendium III systems is that BASICA immediately goes into limbo as soon as it is invoked - no keyboard data is received nor any displayed - and the cursor is lost until I kill the BASICA execution. Can anyone out there tell me what is going wrong and how to fix it. I tried going through IBM service but they want me to purchase a service contract and that, as a retiree, is financially unfeasible. I'm still trying to save up enough to purchase their IBM-PCDOS 2000 (which they can't so much as tell me if BASICA is compatable with). Thanks - any explanation will be greatfully acknowledged. Bill W.

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by davimedrade at 2003-8-21 6:50:54[/red][/b][hr]
    Most of the programs which run with BASICA will run properly with Microsoft QuickBASIC. You should download the version 4.5.

Try www.qbasic.com

Davi Medrade
    Brazil

• : [b][red]This message was edited by davimedrade at 2003-8-21 6:50:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : Most of the programs which run with BASICA will run properly with Microsoft QuickBASIC. You should download the version 4.5.
    :
    : Try www.qbasic.com
    :
    :
    : Davi Medrade
    : Brazil
    :
    : Thanks Davi, but I looked into QBASIC and there is way too much code to convert, plus there is also a question of compatability - especially in how QBASIC differs in its recognition of input EOF. Because I execute BASICA from within hundreds of (mostly very) large BAT procedures, the easiest solution would be to provide a patch fixed version of BASICA to all systems running this code. The patch, or at least knowledge of what needs to be fixed, is really what I need. Bill.
    :
    :

• : : [b][red]This message was edited by davimedrade at 2003-8-21 6:50:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Most of the programs which run with BASICA will run properly with Microsoft QuickBASIC. You should download the version 4.5.
    : :
    : : Try www.qbasic.com
    : : Davi Medrade
    : : Brazil
    : : Thanks Davi, but I looked into QBASIC and there is way too much code to convert, plus there is also a question of compatability - especially in how QBASIC differs in its recognition of input EOF. Because I execute BASICA from within hundreds of (mostly very) large BAT procedures, the easiest solution would be to provide a patch fixed version of BASICA to all systems running this code. The patch, or at least knowledge of what needs to be fixed, is really what I need. Bill.
    :FOLLOW-UP: I parallel DEBUGged the same BASICA using the same IBM-PCDOS 6.2 on two different systems:
    My PS2MOD35 where BASICA runs successfully
    My slowest PENTIUM III system where BASICA hangs with a blank screen and no cursor (and absolutely no keyboard response, including CTRL-BREAK and CTRL-ALT-DEL, i.e. a total complete hangup where the computer has to be turned off and restarted to purge the hang).

Everything is fine until shortly after the first INT 10H which I assume must be an interrupt into BIOS. At this point, the traced code varies so drastically that I couldn't determine any parallelism at all except that finally an INT 67 is issued at which time the PENTIUM III system hangs.

At this point, it would appear that BASICA utilizes some feature in BIOS which is not supported on the newer systems. Guess I'll try another query to IBM and see if I can get some sort of response - I can't believe that they wouldn't support one of their own software items when so many of their customers must have come to rely on it - or did all BASICA users convert to QBASIC? Considering the amount of recoding and retesting I'd have to do in order to convert, I kinda doubt it.

If this follow-up tweaks someone else's memory as to what to fix, please respond here. Thanks, Bill
    :

• I have BASICA 3.31 (I think that's the basica that you are talking about), looks like gw-basic. It runs fine under WindowsXP.