Excel cells function

I have a code to fill an Excel cell with a value using the function provided by Excel.

With CustomerSheet
.Cells(10, 1).Value = "Sum(" & .Cells(irow, icol) & _
":" .Cells(irow + 5, icol) ")"
End With

The above code does not work. I could not use Cells() to refer to a particular cell in the function, but I need to use A1, B1... etc as written in excel's formula bar. However the cells I'm referring for my function is not fixed at design time, so I use variables instead. Hmm anyone know how to manipulate it?

Thanks so much.
~CG

Comments

• : I have a code to fill an Excel cell with a value using the function provided by Excel.
    :
    : With CustomerSheet
    : .Cells(10, 1).Value = "Sum(" & .Cells(irow, icol) & _
    : ":" .Cells(irow + 5, icol) ")"
    : End With
    :
    : The above code does not work. I could not use Cells() to refer to a particular cell in the function, but I need to use A1, B1... etc as written in excel's formula bar. However the cells I'm referring for my function is not fixed at design time, so I use variables instead. Hmm anyone know how to manipulate it?
    :
    : Thanks so much.
    : ~CG
    :

Try something like this to put a formula in Cell A1:

Range("A1").Value = "=" & Range("B1").Value & "+" & Range("C1").Value

This should put a formula in Cell A1 that adds the values in cells B1 and C1.

If you wanted to put the same formula in the first 5 rows of column A you could do something like:

For i = 1 to 5
    Range("A" & i).Value = "=" & Range("B" & i).Value & "+" & Range("C" & i).Value
    Next

• you could also use ADODB and send an SQL string to let Excel do the work but this way you dont Know when Excel is finished