how to do a bunch of system task

how do i end a process, find and delete a certain file, edit the registry

all this needs to be done in vbs cuz im on a linux system and i dont have access to write a full application or else it would be easier, my skills in vbs arent as good as i wish they were. thanks in advance
[size=1][b][red]Ali Turab[/b]
[blue]http://aliserver.cjb.net[/blue][/size]

Comments

• First Of All.....Is This To Be Used On A Linux System?.......Because Linux Doesnt Really Have A Registry

The VB Command To Delete A File In Windowns Is Kill "Filename"
    The Linux Command To End A Process Is Kill "Process"

I'm Not Exactly Sure What You Are Trying To Do.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by kamiccolo_lite at 2003-10-8 14:33:36[/red][/b][hr]
    its not for my system, its for another system which i dont have direct access. i remembered the vb commands for the file system objects so thqat aspect is covered i just need to know how to access the registry with it now. its gonna be on a windows machine. how do i tho kill a windows process with this? you see im trying to admin a couple of a machines without actual work. thanks in advance.

also it should read "how to do a bunch of system tasks"

: First Of All.....Is This To Be Used On A Linux System?.......Because Linux Doesnt Really Have A Registry
    :
    : The VB Command To Delete A File In Windowns Is Kill "Filename"
    : The Linux Command To End A Process Is Kill "Process"
    :
    : I'm Not Exactly Sure What You Are Trying To Do.
    :

• Here Are Two Code Examples Of What I Think You Are Trying To Do.

I Don't Have Much Experience With VB And Registry (No Matter How Well Coded, I'll Never Trust VB With My Registry)

But I Hope This Helps.

[code]Registry[/code]

Regarding The Application Killing
    [code]App Kill[/code]

I Kinda Have An Idea Of What You Want, But Am Still Unclear

Hope This Helps

P.S.... Google Is An Excellent Resourse For Finding VB Stuff
  • awesome, thanks man i also found loads of stuff via google but it was all for visual basic the actual language rather than the script.

: Here Are Two Code Examples Of What I Think You Are Trying To Do.
    :
    : I Don't Have Much Experience With VB And Registry (No Matter How Well Coded, I'll Never Trust VB With My Registry)
    :
    : But I Hope This Helps.
    :
    : [code]Registry[/code]
    :
    : Regarding The Application Killing
    : [code]App Kill[/code]
    :
    : I Kinda Have An Idea Of What You Want, But Am Still Unclear
    :
    : Hope This Helps
    :
    : P.S.... Google Is An Excellent Resourse For Finding VB Stuff
    :

• : (No Matter How Well Coded, I'll Never Trust VB With My Registry)

I have to ask: why not? I could understand if someone was coding raw access to the .dat files (especially since the registry apparently has no error-correction built in), but VB's safe data typing and use of the APIs makes it a helluva lot safer than C++ (as an example).
  • : : (No Matter How Well Coded, I'll Never Trust VB With My Registry)
    :
    : I have to ask: why not? I could understand if someone was coding raw access to the .dat files (especially since the registry apparently has no error-correction built in), but VB's safe data typing and use of the APIs makes it a helluva lot safer than C++ (as an example).
    :

Way safer.
    In fact, *too* damn safer. To use the Registry through VB means two things: either you use APIs, or you use Save/GetSettings.

Now, SaveSetting is VB way of doing things. Unfortunately enough, there's a "folder" in the Registry dedicated to VB applications. While this means you can't overwrite anything outside, it means that you can't write/read anything outside there, too. (In case anyone wonders, it's "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareVB and VBA Program Settings").
    And I hate it. I'd love to mess with the Registry as much as I like.

Otherwise, use APIs. Sincerely, I won't say what I think of those APIs in C++ 'cause I'd be censored, go figure if I'd use them in VB. I'd probably screw up *everything* in my registry just trying to debug things (actually I did and didn't screw anything at all, but I'd have loved NOT having to do it in the first place).

Anyone got any idea about what the hell MS was thinking when they created VB functions to access the registry?
  • : Otherwise, use APIs. Sincerely, I won't say what I think of those APIs in C++ 'cause I'd be censored, go figure if I'd use them in VB. I'd probably screw up *everything* in my registry just trying to debug things (actually I did and didn't screw anything at all, but I'd have loved NOT having to do it in the first place).
    :

My life quite often has one of those censored symbols overwriting every thing I well want to say!

Reg APIs don't give me much trouble to mess with. It comes in handy to be able to roughly translate C++ to VB so I can use this reference thingy I ran across once. (A search for "Win32 Programmer's Reference" on google will usually turn it up)

: Anyone got any idea about what the hell MS was thinking when they created VB functions to access the registry?
    :

They weren't. They gave us a nice, safe, limited method (seems like it's part of FSO?). After all, us VB'ers would probably mess things up using [italic]real[/italic] code. 'Tis why I learned to use the APIs...
  • if you dont like usin the APIs there is a dll out there that lets you handle the registry as an "object". i think its on msdn and i think it was called "regobj32.dll" or "regobj.dll" or somethin similar..i usually use the api, though, because i dont like totin a dll around :)
  • : if you dont like usin the APIs there is a dll out there that lets you handle the registry as an "object". i think its on msdn and i think it was called "regobj32.dll" or "regobj.dll" or somethin similar..i usually use the api, though, because i dont like totin a dll around :)
    :

I don't mind dlls, provided they are decently written...