Converting Delphi 4 component to .NET/ActiveX

Hello all,

I hope one of you can help me. I've been given the task of taking a custom component we have in Delphi 4 and getting it into VB.NET. Now apparently I have two options, convert it to an ActiveX component or convert it to a .NET DLL?? I'm only a noob software developer and haven't used any .NET or ActiveX stuff, just C I'm afraid.

Anyway _apparently_ you can do this with Delphi 7 Pro (or higher)? You can download the converter from Borland. Unfortunately we don't have Delphi 7 so before someone suggests this it's not an option I'm afraid. Nor is outsourcing, I have to do this using just the tools we have, free tools we can download, some string, cellotape and a pipe cleaner.

Can anyone point out where to start, a guide, a tool, a feature in .NET or something so I have a clue please how I would go about getting this component from Delphi 4 into .NET.

Thanks very much for your help! If you think this is more appropriate in a Delphi forum please let me know.

Russ

Comments

• : Hello all,
    :
    : I hope one of you can help me. I've been given the task of taking a custom component we have in Delphi 4 and getting it into VB.NET. Now apparently I have two options, convert it to an ActiveX component or convert it to a .NET DLL?? I'm only a noob software developer and haven't used any .NET or ActiveX stuff, just C I'm afraid.
    :
    : Anyway _apparently_ you can do this with Delphi 7 Pro (or higher)? You can download the converter from Borland. Unfortunately we don't have Delphi 7 so before someone suggests this it's not an option I'm afraid. Nor is outsourcing, I have to do this using just the tools we have, free tools we can download, some string, cellotape and a pipe cleaner.
    :
    : Can anyone point out where to start, a guide, a tool, a feature in .NET or something so I have a clue please how I would go about getting this component from Delphi 4 into .NET.
    :
    : Thanks very much for your help! If you think this is more appropriate in a Delphi forum please let me know.
    :
    : Russ
    :
    :
    Delphi 4 is certainly capable of building ActiveX controls. Why don't you do that?
  • : Delphi 4 is certainly capable of building ActiveX controls. Why don't you do that?
    :

Do you mean that I can create a new/fresh ActiveX control or I can convert my existing component to ActiveX?? I need to make use of the existing component as its quite complex and works perfectly.

Also will this Delphi4 ActiveX control be useable everywhere else?

I'll do some reading of the Delphi4 help manual on this, thank you.

• : : Delphi 4 is certainly capable of building ActiveX controls. Why don't you do that?
    : :
    :
    : Do you mean that I can create a new/fresh ActiveX control or I can convert my existing component to ActiveX?? I need to make use of the existing component as its quite complex and works perfectly.
    :
    : Also will this Delphi4 ActiveX control be useable everywhere else?
    :
    : I'll do some reading of the Delphi4 help manual on this, thank you.
    :
    :
    You can convert your component or make one anew. It's your choice. ActiveX controls created in Delphi can be used elsewhere just like any other.
  • : You can convert your component or make one anew. It's your choice. ActiveX controls created in Delphi can be used elsewhere just like any other.
    :

Hello,

Creation of a new component is not an option as I've just discovered how complex the component is.

I have tried creating an ActiveX control with the component but it doesn't inherit from TWinControl so that doesn't work.

My next idea is to create an ActiveFormX with the component on it, then create intermediary methods in the form to link the form with the component. I'm at the stage of

"After you have designed and compiled the ActiveForm project into an ActiveX library (which has the OCX extension), you can deploy the project to your Web server and Delphi will create a test HTML page with a reference to the ActiveForm."

But I cannot see how you compile it into an ActiveX library.

Thank you for your help and time Perran.
  • Well I have a bit better understanding of ActiveX now and have created an ActiveX form with the component in it.

I think I may however be barking up the wrong tree.

Firstly the ActiveX component I have created doesn't work in .NET very well. I get an underflow/overflow arithmetic error and then it wont run when I place it on a standard form in VB.NET.

I think I really need to just convert this component to a .NET component if possible. I would like to rewrite the whole program in VB.NET.

Also I don't suppose now I have the component in an ActiveX form I can deconstruct this in .NET and make use of the component? I could build intermediary methods on the form that control the component, then use these methods and properties I could add to the form to control the component but this seems a bit of a bodge job if I wrap everything up nicely in ActiveX and then stick that on a form instead of having the component itself.

Thanks for your time.
  • : Well I have a bit better understanding of ActiveX now and have created an ActiveX form with the component in it.
    :
    : I think I may however be barking up the wrong tree.
    :
    : Firstly the ActiveX component I have created doesn't work in .NET very well. I get an underflow/overflow arithmetic error and then it wont run when I place it on a standard form in VB.NET.
    :
    : I think I really need to just convert this component to a .NET component if possible. I would like to rewrite the whole program in VB.NET.
    :
    : Also I don't suppose now I have the component in an ActiveX form I can deconstruct this in .NET and make use of the component? I could build intermediary methods on the form that control the component, then use these methods and properties I could add to the form to control the component but this seems a bit of a bodge job if I wrap everything up nicely in ActiveX and then stick that on a form instead of having the component itself.

I don't know a whole lot about .NET, but I don't think any current version of Delphi supports it. The next version, code name Octane, will utilize .NET so you may need to upgrade to that to create a .NET control (when it ships later this year)