CD-ROM under windows

Can anyone tell me how to command the cd-rom under Windows. I have the source how to: open, close, lock, unlock... the cd-rom in DOS, but that is 16bit registery, I nead 32bit registery. How do I do this in Windows? Is it posible? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• : Can anyone tell me how to command the cd-rom under Windows. I have the source how to: open, close, lock, unlock... the cd-rom in DOS, but that is 16bit registery, I nead 32bit registery. How do I do this in Windows? Is it posible? Thank you in advance.
    :

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but you will have MAJOR problems writing to a CD, even if it is a "burner." For the 32 bit components, that's an easy one (I even got the answer on this board!!!). Use FreePascal. Here is the link.

http://www.freepascal.org/sdown.html

The good thing about this compiler, is that I run it from a windows based DOS window, and don't have to work in full DOS mode like TurboPascal. If you have problems locating the documentation for running the editor, let me know, and I'll give you specific instructions.

In the constant declaration section of the code you would add the lines :

const
    LFNSupport=True;

This will give you the lone file name support that you will need. I'm assuming that would would use the root directory prefix "d:filename.ext" for your drive. This drive name should be listed in the boot sector of the computer's registry. You might have to run RegEdit and locate a notation there. Remember...you might have problems if you have some NTFS formatted sectors. You will need to extensively run-time debug this program if I was to guess. Good luck.

Delljohnb

• I am already using Free-Pascal. What I am loocking for is a unit or some code to control the CD ROM in windows. I got some Turbo pascal code, but that can't be compiled in Free-Pascal because it uses 16bit registry. I don't even know if I can control all the CD-ROM functions like: lock, unlock... The Turbo pascal code works only when compiled with Turbo pascal. Should I try to port the assembler code from 16bit to 32bit and compile it in Free-Pascal?
  • : I am already using Free-Pascal. What I am loocking for is a unit or some code to control the CD ROM in windows. I got some Turbo pascal code, but that can't be compiled in Free-Pascal because it uses 16bit registry. I don't even know if I can control all the CD-ROM functions like: lock, unlock... The Turbo pascal code works only when compiled with Turbo pascal. Should I try to port the assembler code from 16bit to 32bit and compile it in Free-Pascal?
    :
    hmmmmm.....have you thought about loading all the files into a ram drive, then accessing them from there? that would make things easier...you could assign a attribute of read-only....that would effectively lock it...
  • : : I am already using Free-Pascal. What I am loocking for is a unit or some code to control the CD ROM in windows. I got some Turbo pascal code, but that can't be compiled in Free-Pascal because it uses 16bit registry. I don't even know if I can control all the CD-ROM functions like: lock, unlock... The Turbo pascal code works only when compiled with Turbo pascal. Should I try to port the assembler code from 16bit to 32bit and compile it in Free-Pascal?
    : :
    : hmmmmm.....have you thought about loading all the files into a ram drive, then accessing them from there? that would make things easier...you could assign a attribute of read-only....that would effectively lock it...
    :
    With the lock, unlock, open, close... I mean the door of the CD-ROM. All the code I have found on the web is for TP. I don't even know if windows lets this kind of functions. I know that open and close functions can be done, but others...