Dreamcast programming?and must you know asm for console?

hey

you got the yaroze for the platstation

and I wonder if they have something for the dreamcast

plus i wanna know if you really need asm for console game programming?

Comments

• : hey

: you got the yaroze for the platstation

: and I wonder if they have something for the dreamcast

I dont know exactly how youd test code on a dreamcast but im sure someone will come

up with something. If they havent already.

: plus i wanna know if you really need asm for console game programming?

:

Not for most newer consoles but most companies dont give away fully fledged C/C++ compilers to homebrew programmers. Knowing "the systems" assembly can help ones understanding

of his own code and how to fix any performance problems.

• First you have to understand some differences between the dreamcast dev-kit and the off the shelf unit before you do any "home brew" coding.

The dev-kit will load an exe that is not a bin file (it's a elf file dumped out by the linker) but we have a little program that converts the elf to a bin.

Secondly, the dev-kit will run programs with debug information in the elf/bin file where as,

the standard units will not.

Okay......you don't NEED to know sH4 assembler to work with the dreamcast, but with homebre coding, I'm afraid you'll have to.

You can get all the docs and tools (including the GNU C/C++ compiler, linker and assembler) from Hitachi web-site. They'll send you a CD (free of charge) with all of these things on it for free. Incedentaly, the compiler and linker are the same ones that I use at work, and are provided with the Dreamcast dev-kits.

As for any low-level info on the Dreamcast hardware, I can't help you there. Sega don't give us developers any low-level info, so you'll have to look around for it !!

Good luck !!

: hey

: you got the yaroze for the platstation

: and I wonder if they have something for the dreamcast

: plus i wanna know if you really need asm for console game programming?

: