Getting a list of files/folders in QB4.5

How?!?! I looked over the entire help file and I can't find any way to get a list of files/folders. I've found lots of things to do on already open files, but that doesn't help much. I don't want to use the "Files" command unless there is some way to "redirect" it to a different "screen" so that it doesn't show up. I can shell the dir command into a file, but isn't there a better way?

Thanks!

Comments

• You can do like this... it works !

shell "dir "+ path$ + " /B >c:index"

">c:index" will put the files and the dirs in

a file named c:index.

"/B" will take away size and time information.

Open the file in QB4.5 and...

Now you only sort them out.

The names who are not containing a "." (dot) are

a file name and the others are dirs.

Easy peasy.

• : You can do like this... it works !

Thanks, but...

Glance back at my original post and you'll see that I knew about that already (very last line: "I can shell the dir command into a file..."). I was just hoping that there was a method that didn't involve file I/O or Shell.

Thanks anyway!

• I have what you need (DIR$ function)Email me and I will send it to you or you can go to my web page and download the file exe2bin.zip it has the DIR$ function included with it.

my email is [email protected]

URL http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~pitman/

: How?!?! I looked over the entire help file and I can't find any way to get a list of files/folders. I've found lots of things to do on already open files, but that doesn't help much. I don't want to use the "Files" command unless there is some way to "redirect" it to a different "screen" so that it doesn't show up. I can shell the dir command into a file, but isn't there a better way?

:

: Thanks!

:

URL:http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~pitman/

• : I have what you need (DIR$ function)Email me and I will send it to you or you can go to my web page and download the file exe2bin.zip it has the DIR$ function included with it.

:

: my email is [email protected]

: URL http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~pitman/

:

:

Many thanks!

I haven't tried it yet, but if it works (which I assume it does ;-)), it'll be a small blessing!

Later,

KDivad

• hehe, i made a comlete sub to remove the time and such, and now after all those months you said the /B switch...

oh god!

Thanx!

-Stefan

• ther is no good example of using it in the file exe2bin.bas so here is how

to list all files in a directory...

'call dir$ once with the filespec like so

FileList$ = DIR$("*.*",&HFF,0)

if FileList$ ="" then print "no files found"

'then call it with a nul string like so

do

FileList$ = DIR$("",&HFF,0)

print FileList$

loop until FileList$ = ""

: I have what you need (DIR$ function)Email me and I will send it to you or you can go to my web page and download the file exe2bin.zip it has the DIR$ function included with it.

:

: my email is [email protected]

: URL http://homepage.netspaceonline.com/~pitman/

:

:

:

: : How?!?! I looked over the entire help file and I can't find any way to get a list of files/folders. I've found lots of things to do on already open files, but that doesn't help much. I don't want to use the "Files" command unless there is some way to "redirect" it to a different "screen" so that it doesn't show up. I can shell the dir command into a file, but isn't there a better way?

: :

: : Thanks!

: :

:

:

:

• : ther is no good example of using it in the file exe2bin.bas so here is how

:

I had already guessed that since it is how VB does its same command, but I appreciate you telling me!

• : Thanks, but...

: Glance back at my original post and you'll see that I knew about that already (very last line: "I can shell the dir command into a file..."). I was just hoping that there was a method that didn't involve file I/O or Shell.

:

: Thanks anyway!

:

Hi,

You can do it by interrupt calls (ms-dos 21H)

And defining a buffer. I saw it in "PC SYSTEM PROGRAMMING (PC INTERN)" BOOK. If You can't find it, send me an email.