Network Project - Help Required

I'm admin of a network of around 100 PCs, and I want to make an IM system for it. I know there are plenty available, but we are on a budget and I want full customisability - so I intend to code it myself in Delphi. I can code the interface and so forth, but I don't know anything about how to transfer data across a standard Ethernet network through a Delphi app.

I need to be able to send two strings from one PC to another via the network - a message string and a sender string. Does anyone have a procedure or component to do this? Or does anyone know where I can start? I'm not too hot on advanced Delphi or Pascal, so all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• : I'm admin of a network of around 100 PCs, and I want to make an IM system for it. I know there are plenty available, but we are on a budget and I want full customisability - so I intend to code it myself in Delphi. I can code the interface and so forth, but I don't know anything about how to transfer data across a standard Ethernet network through a Delphi app.
    :
    : I need to be able to send two strings from one PC to another via the network - a message string and a sender string. Does anyone have a procedure or component to do this? Or does anyone know where I can start? I'm not too hot on advanced Delphi or Pascal, so all help is appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks in advance!
    :
    The easiest way is to use the TNMMsg and TNMMsgServ components of the FastNet page. These two are especially created to handle ascii text messages between computers.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by BinaryMonster at 2003-12-2 1:40:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : The easiest way is to use the TNMMsg and TNMMsgServ components of the FastNet page. These two are especially created to handle ascii text messages between computers.
    :

Thanks a lot, that's great! I'll go have a read and a play. Oh, and while I'm typing - would these components also be used for receiving the ascii messages?

• : [b][red]This message was edited by BinaryMonster at 2003-12-2 1:40:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : : The easiest way is to use the TNMMsg and TNMMsgServ components of the FastNet page. These two are especially created to handle ascii text messages between computers.
    : :
    :
    : Thanks a lot, that's great! I'll go have a read and a play. Oh, and while I'm typing - would these components also be used for receiving the ascii messages?
    :
    :
    It is only logical that they cando that, since talking to someone (or something in this case) would be pointless if they weren't listening.