what is "C:windowssystem32edit.com" ?

I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?

P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
Thanx for your answers.
- S. Tranton

Comments

• : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    :
    : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : Thanx for your answers.
    : - S. Tranton
    :

Text editor.
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : :
    : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : - S. Tranton
    :
    : Text editor.
    :
    OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• : : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : : :
    : : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : : - S. Tranton
    : : Text editor.
    : OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:

+8 r 3 "Hello"

that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.

NOW, we talking ancient!
    [/blue]
  • : : : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : : : :
    : : : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : : : - S. Tranton
    : : : :
    : : : Text editor.
    : : OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.
    : : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    : [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:
    :
    : +8 r 3 "Hello"
    :
    : that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.
    :
    : NOW, we talking ancient!
    : [/blue]
    :

The whole COM format is ancient :)
  • : [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:
    :
    : +8 r 3 "Hello"
    :
    : that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.
    :
    : NOW, we talking ancient!
    : [/blue]
    :
    Holly Cow, i had totally forgotten about edlin and it was 1988 when i first started playing with PCs.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : Holly Cow, i had totally forgotten about edlin and it was 1988 when i first started playing with PCs.
    :
    :
    1988? You're just some n00b! I started in '81 on an Atari400 with the 410 cassette-drive. It's sitting behind me under my bed, still working. Go Atari!!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]