Pitching - A problem?

[b][red]This message was edited by xbob at 2003-12-4 14:32:57[/red][/b][hr]
Hi people,

I was just reading about the [b]waveOutSetPitch[/b] function on MSDN. They say that this function requires a sound card that supports this feature (pitching) and thus does not work on all computers.

However, it is my impression that they only write this because of the (approximately) 138 people in the world who still use some old sound card from the times before SoundBlaster16.

Nevertheless, if this is not the case, and pitching is indeed a feature that is not supported on some new (post 1994) sound cards, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• : ...
    : Nevertheless, if this is not the case, and pitching is indeed a
    : feature that is not supported on some new (post 1994) sound cards,
    : please let me know.
    Google is your friend when trying to check up on things like this. :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=waveOutSetPitch+not+supported&btnG=Google+Search

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    This is why I use OpenGL instead of D3D and OpenAL instead of DirectSound. Simply test for the feature and then use it, do the work in software, or don't use it. Both APIs are also much better than DX as well :D!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• [GRAY]: This is why I use OpenGL instead of D3D and OpenAL instead of DirectSound. Simply test for the feature and then use it, do the work in software, or don't use it. Both APIs are also much better than DX as well :D!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :[/GRAY]

I also find OpenGL more attractive than D3D. I have only heard about OpenAL, but never looked at it.

However, [B]waveOutSetPitch[/B] is [ITALIC]not[/ITALIC] a DS function - it's part of the standard WinSDK. And since I needed a function with great compatibility, I was curious about exactly [ITALIC]how[/ITALIC] compatible it is.

I assume that OpenAL only works with certain sound cards like OpenGL only works with certain gfx cards?
  • The [B]waveOutGetDevCaps[/B] function solved the problem :)

It fills a WAVEOUTCAPS structure with information about the capabilities of the audio device, which has a flag in a field called WAVECAPS_PITCH that indicates whether or not pitching i supported - just what I needed.

Thanks anyway (to both of you)
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : I also find OpenGL more attractive than D3D. I have only heard about OpenAL, but never looked at it.
    :
    : However, [B]waveOutSetPitch[/B] is [ITALIC]not[/ITALIC] a DS function - it's part of the standard WinSDK. And since I needed a function with great compatibility, I was curious about exactly [ITALIC]how[/ITALIC] compatible it is.
    :
    : I assume that OpenAL only works with certain sound cards like OpenGL only works with certain gfx cards?
    :
    Actually, AL works with a fair number of cards, as does GL. It's the manufacturer of the sound/video cards that make or break them. Take ATI for instance. Until their newest Radeon card, they had Gl support, but it was extremely broken and caused MANY oddities without downloaidng special ATI-only fixes or an ATI wrapper. Since virtually all soundcards are now made to be SB-compatible, AL should work on a wide range of cards, as well as Linux and Mac. Your standard Windows function ONLY works in Windoze though. Go to AL's site and grab it. Its easy as heck to follow, being mostly C, and since you know GL you'll have no trouble doing whatever you want with AL in no time.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• [GRAY]
    : : I also find OpenGL more attractive than D3D. I have only heard about OpenAL, but never looked at it.
    : :
    : : However, [B]waveOutSetPitch[/B] is [ITALIC]not[/ITALIC] a DS function - it's part of the standard WinSDK. And since I needed a function with great compatibility, I was curious about exactly [ITALIC]how[/ITALIC] compatible it is.
    : : I assume that OpenAL only works with certain sound cards like OpenGL only works with certain gfx cards?
    : Actually, AL works with a fair number of cards, as does GL. It's the manufacturer of the sound/video cards that make or break them. Take ATI for instance. Until their newest Radeon card, they had Gl support, but it was extremely broken and caused MANY oddities without downloaidng special ATI-only fixes or an ATI wrapper. Since virtually all soundcards are now made to be SB-compatible, AL should work on a wide range of cards, as well as Linux and Mac. Your standard Windows function ONLY works in Windoze though. Go to AL's site and grab it. Its easy as heck to follow, being mostly C, and since you know GL you'll have no trouble doing whatever you want with AL in no time.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    [/GRAY]

Thanks for the info, Seph :)

It sounds like AL is a good solution for audio after all.

Just out of personal curiosity; have you ever made a tracker, or maybe a program extension for playing .mods (like BASS, f.ex.)?