Opportunity of GUI in C++?

Hi!
In java is was easy to make GUI's by using the awt and swing library.
What's the opportunity of building GUI in C++?
Is it a bit more complicated maby?
some advice?

Comments

• : Hi!
    : In java is was easy to make GUI's by using the awt and swing library.
    : What's the opportunity of building GUI in C++?
    : Is it a bit more complicated maby?
    : some advice?
    :
    It's not that difficult. If you're programming in windows there's a library for making GUIs, check into VC++. Or if on a UNIX it depends on what you're using for a desktop. I use gnome and there's an API specifically for it as well as there is in KDE. You'll have to wait till someone more experienced with Windows answers you to validate this, but I think it's the mfc library that allows you to program with gui. Also, I believe you can use XML to create a gui.
  • MFC is one way in windows but i don't like it and don't know how to use it. The other way is to include windows.h in your program and use CreateWindow()/CreateWindowEx() to create windows, buttons, list boxes, check boxes, radio buttons, scroll bars and whatever else is needed.

If you wish to do it the "manual" way (using CreateWindow/CreateWindowEX) then check out forgers win32 programming tutorial, i learnt the basics from there and more from a book.

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

If you want to try MFC then do a google search for MFC Tutorials or something to that effect.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by stober at 2004-2-3 11:4:31[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi!
    : In java is was easy to make GUI's by using the awt and swing library.
    : What's the opportunity of building GUI in C++?
    : Is it a bit more complicated maby?
    : some advice?
    :

Borland C++ Builder and Microsoft Visual Studio are the two best compilers on the market for writing GUI programs in the Windows environment. They both allow you to quickly build GUI programs without being too overly concerned about the gritty details of how various objects (like a Button) works. It can be done with other compilers, such as Dev-C++, but it's much more difficult -- not impossible, but just more difficult.