c++ or Java??!

hey there...
i need your advise, i'm a beginner in c++, i want to become pro, but everyone tell me that learning Java language is better for me,
so what do u think? and if i want to start learning java,what can i do?
ak

Comments

• : hey there...
    : i need your advise, i'm a beginner in c++, i want to become pro, but everyone tell me that learning Java language is better for me,
    : so what do u think? and if i want to start learning java,what can i do?
    : ak
    :

Well everyones a begginner at some point and hopes to become a pro.

For programming in c++ or java It would depend on what you are going to use it for. Java is portable and is also powerful. It is a little slower than c++. I started with the programming language of Java before learning c++. I like working with native methods and working with a more lower level so I chose c++. c++ has more control over your os. With c++ you could talk to the memory and with java it does it automaticly.

I like c++ for for pinging, winsock.

I cant say which one is better because I like both.

In java though I like it for programming applets for games, cellphones, and such.

If you learn both and have programs in both java and c++ you may use the JNI(java natice interface). Bacicly what that is is the java interpreter executing referencing to the c++ raw code. In some games created using JNI they had to worry about garbage collecting. They used it for pictures and the c++ worked with the raw data.

To start learning java go to www.java.sun.com . Search through the apis (Application program Interface) and just browse through it. Dont worry about learning how to read it yet. After that you should look for some tutorials online on how to teach java.

For c++ do the same finding tutorials online for teaching it.

If i'm not clear on what i'm describing you could reach me at:

AIM SN: kc2keo
    EMAIL: [email protected]

bye,
    George

• : : hey there...
    : : i need your advise, i'm a beginner in c++, i want to become pro, but everyone tell me that learning Java language is better for me,
    : : so what do u think? and if i want to start learning java,what can i do?
    : : ak
    : :
    :
    :
    : Well everyones a begginner at some point and hopes to become a pro.
    :
    : For programming in c++ or java It would depend on what you are going to use it for. Java is portable and is also powerful. It is a little slower than c++. I started with the programming language of Java before learning c++. I like working with native methods and working with a more lower level so I chose c++. c++ has more control over your os. With c++ you could talk to the memory and with java it does it automaticly.
    :
    : I like c++ for for pinging, winsock.
    :
    : I cant say which one is better because I like both.
    :
    : In java though I like it for programming applets for games, cellphones, and such.
    :
    : If you learn both and have programs in both java and c++ you may use the JNI(java natice interface). Bacicly what that is is the java interpreter executing referencing to the c++ raw code. In some games created using JNI they had to worry about garbage collecting. They used it for pictures and the c++ worked with the raw data.
    :
    : To start learning java go to www.java.sun.com . Search through the apis (Application program Interface) and just browse through it. Dont worry about learning how to read it yet. After that you should look for some tutorials online on how to teach java.
    :
    : For c++ do the same finding tutorials online for teaching it.
    :
    : If i'm not clear on what i'm describing you could reach me at:
    :
    : AIM SN: kc2keo
    : EMAIL: [email protected]
    :
    : bye,
    : George
    :
    :
    :

but how about programming in c++ or java like a future profession?
    which do u think is better??
    ak

• :
    : but how about programming in c++ or java like a future profession?
    : which do u think is better??
    : ak
    :
    :

depends on the operating system. If you want to do web programming, then you will need to know java, HTML, XTML and all its other siblings. Application programs that run on PC and other computers are normally written in c++, VB, or any one of several other languages -- not very many in java.
  • My future goal is to be programming in java as a future profession.

George

<------------------------------------------>

Reach me at:

AIM IM: kc2keo

• To be quite frank I see no use for java at all except as a learning language. I'm a software engineering major and I had about 3 years of c++ experience before going to college. Here, the classes use java exclusively (for now). Now that I've experienced them both I can say that c++ is better in more respects than it is worse. Everything one can do in java, you can do with something else, and probably better. C++ is MUCH faster. No question there. More powerful? In some respects. You can't say that java is more powerful than c++. It might be AS powerful in some areas.

As more web programming..haven't come up against any obstacle that I thought hmmm...java would be nice here. I use javascript, perl, and flash and they work fine (perl is like c getting funcky with javascript).

That said. It is true that once you learn your first language, other languages come MUCH quicker. If you are new to programming, you might consider java until you learn the basics of OO and programming in general. It is a very good language to learn programming.
  • Yes I have to agree with you. I have programmed in java before I learned c++ and have to say I use c++ more than I use java now. I do like the portability of it though. I do agree with what you said about you could do everything the same with java as you could do with other languages.

From researching RMI (Remote Method Invocation) and comparing it to RPC (Remote Procedure Call) I would prefer RPC better. I like it better because you could do network responses with RPC and RMI doesnt seem to be as practical. I do like Java though. For college i'm thinking of majoring in computer science and learn to make APIs. I'm really interested in game making. If I do succeed in game making I would program for the networking part of it. Well anyway I think its good to have as many languages under ones belt.

George

Reach me at:

• : Yes I have to agree with you. I have programmed in java before I learned c++ and have to say I use c++ more than I use java now. I do like the portability of it though. I do agree with what you said about you could do everything the same with java as you could do with other languages.
    :
    : From researching RMI (Remote Method Invocation) and comparing it to RPC (Remote Procedure Call) I would prefer RPC better. I like it better because you could do network responses with RPC and RMI doesnt seem to be as practical. I do like Java though. For college i'm thinking of majoring in computer science and learn to make APIs. I'm really interested in game making. If I do succeed in game making I would program for the networking part of it. Well anyway I think its good to have as many languages under ones belt.
    :
    :
    : <------------------------------------------>
    :
    : Reach me at:
    :
    : AIM IM: kc2keo
    :
    :

I have a question im a new programer i got into C++ first but never really got past like dos screen and started learning Java in school I like Java but whant to know what language should I dedicate time to Right now im in between Java, C++, C and Asm (though i know last is rather complex) any one have comments on begining programer.

email me at [email protected]
    or Aim Spongejoshcowbob

• I myself have never learned Assembly. I hear its very tedious. For example printing something to the screen may be one line in a higher level language higher than Asm is one line and may be up to 20 in asm. I might learn it in the future but for now I dont really have the time and use to do it.

I would recommend learning C++ first. Get a complete book that explains the subset of C first then when moving onto c++ you will start learning the bacic concepts of OOP that is so popular. There are seperate books for OOP to learn from. If you have a local public library or a source where you could get programming books thats a good place to get books. Those programming books get pricy.

I myself learned Java before learning c,c++. First I learned HTML, some XHTML (forgot most of it) just remember the object data, then I moved onto JavaScript. Stayed with that for a little while and it didnt bring much interest to me so I moved onto Java. I enjoyed and still enjoy that language. I then moved onto learning C then moved onto C++ then while learning c++ I started studying XML. I didnt acually start really coding in XML but now that I know the uses for it I realize I dont need it for what I'm doing. With all of these languages I compared the pros and cons of each of them which took some time.

For you I would recommend learning C++ first. Focus on C++. Theres a lot to it. c++ should cover some of the subset. Once you learn one programming language the others are easier to learn.

Bye good luck,
    George

Reach me at:

• : I myself have never learned Assembly. I hear its very tedious. For example printing something to the screen may be one line in a higher level language higher than Asm is one line and may be up to 20 in asm. I might learn it in the future but for now I dont really have the time and use to do it.
    :
    : I would recommend learning C++ first. Get a complete book that explains the subset of C first then when moving onto c++ you will start learning the bacic concepts of OOP that is so popular. There are seperate books for OOP to learn from. If you have a local public library or a source where you could get programming books thats a good place to get books. Those programming books get pricy.
    :
    : I myself learned Java before learning c,c++. First I learned HTML, some XHTML (forgot most of it) just remember the object data, then I moved onto JavaScript. Stayed with that for a little while and it didnt bring much interest to me so I moved onto Java. I enjoyed and still enjoy that language. I then moved onto learning C then moved onto C++ then while learning c++ I started studying XML. I didnt acually start really coding in XML but now that I know the uses for it I realize I dont need it for what I'm doing. With all of these languages I compared the pros and cons of each of them which took some time.
    :
    : For you I would recommend learning C++ first. Focus on C++. Theres a lot to it. c++ should cover some of the subset. Once you learn one programming language the others are easier to learn.
    :
    : Bye good luck,
    :
    :
    : <------------------------------------------>
    :
    : Reach me at:
    :
    : AIM IM: kc2keo
    :
    :

thanks for the information yea im still going to work on java but ill spend more time on c++ i know its very good to learn off, but the way i see it is either way im learning c++ because java was writen to be simular in syntax to c++. Well thanks and good luck too

AIM: Spongejoshcowbob