how to hide a vb app?

To whoever who knows how,
how do you hide your visual basic application from the task list or taskbar of windows? I would appreciate it more if it is applicable for vb 3.0. thanx

Comments

• VB 3 and 6.0

frmName.ShowInTasbar = FALSE
  • : To whoever who knows how,
    : how do you hide your visual basic application from the task list or taskbar of windows? I would appreciate it more if it is applicable for vb 3.0. thanx
    :

Mrpark has a very interesting version of VB3 apparently... That line also isn't available in VB5 at runtime (read-only).

From the taskbar, simply turn off the controlbox (in designtime) or make the form invisible (runtime). You can turn off the controlbox at runtime but it's a little trickier to do: You have to use GetWindowLong and SetWindowLong along with the appropriate consts to tell windows that the controlbox isn't there and then ShowWindow with it's consts to make your form refresh properly.

From the task list, you'll need to tell Windows that your app is a service. In 32bit versions of VB, you use RegisterServiceProcess and GetCurrentProcessID (though I've heard you can substitute 0 for this). Though I've long since lost all my VB3 code and examples, I believe you use the same APIs in VB3 the same way. But I've also heard that this only works in Win9x and I've never seen functional code for WinNT that would work in VB3.

May I ask why you're still using VB3? I used it for forever due to finances but I'm curious if you have another reason...
  • arigato gozaimas .thanks very much. I'll try what you posted.
  • : VB 3 and 6.0
    :
    : frmName.ShowInTasbar = FALSE
    :
    arigato gozaimas .thanks very much. I'll try what you posted.

• Gomenazai. I forgot to answer your question last time. Well, I wanted to use Delphi 1.0 at first because there are a lot of nice programs open source code around written in that language. However I could not find Delphi versions 1 to 4 in our country. So I settled with VB3. There are a lot of similarities in basic and pascal and I also used to program with VBDOS (which I still use for DOS apps).
    I write programs for different platforms. As of now, I have some project for win 3.x. Its just my hobby, I'm not a professional programmer.
    I also use vb3 because of its easy to use GUI as compared to C which discouraged me as a beginner.
    Well, thats it. Tell me, what is interesting about your version of VB3?
    Is it better?
  • : Gomenazai. I forgot to answer your question last time. Well, I wanted to use Delphi 1.0 at first because there are a lot of nice programs open source code around written in that language. However I could not find Delphi versions 1 to 4 in our country. So I settled with VB3. There are a lot of similarities in basic and pascal and I also used to program with VBDOS (which I still use for DOS apps).
    : I write programs for different platforms. As of now, I have some project for win 3.x. Its just my hobby, I'm not a professional programmer.
    : I also use vb3 because of its easy to use GUI as compared to C which discouraged me as a beginner.
    : Well, thats it. Tell me, what is interesting about your version of VB3?
    : Is it better?
    :

As far as I know, there's only one version of VB3. My comment was directed at Mrpark for suggesting that a certain bit of code could be used in it when there's no way it could be.

Mostly I was curious because aside from myself, I haven't heard of anyone using VB3 in the past several years. Of course, I haven't heard of anyone using VBDOS either and I still occasionally use it.

I've heard of Win32s which is a 32bit layer that allows 32bit apps to run on Win3.1. Theoretically, this would allow you to write VB5+ apps on Win3.1. Have you tried it? I ask because I've never heard of anyone trying it and I'm curious as to how well it works. I'd try it myself but I no longer have a copy of Win3.1 to try it on...
  • I've tried win 32s. However its not compatible with most of my favorite 32 bit apps. So I'd rather maintain a dual boot system. It works with the Microsoft image editor that creates animated cursors which are probably uselees in win 16. Besides 32 bit apps load slower in win 32s. Well I'm quite unusual with my choice of compilers since I just program for fun and as an aid to my Physics problems.
    By the way, I've just downloaded my vb3 at maxcode.com since my software package had an error.