HightSchool Help!

I'm a high school student in the strand of Computer Programming at Miami Central's Academy of Information Technology magnet program. We work on VB 6.0 basically every day, and I am currently working on a program for my mother. But first, I would like to know, does anybody know where I can download a copy of VB 6.0 for free? please let me know, because my parents are not willing to pay around $100 for one program. Please help me!

Comments

• : I'm a high school student in the strand of Computer Programming at Miami Central's Academy of Information Technology magnet program. We work on VB 6.0 basically every day, and I am currently working on a program for my mother. But first, I would like to know, does anybody know where I can download a copy of VB 6.0 for free? please let me know, because my parents are not willing to pay around $100 for one program. Please help me!
    :
    You could get a "Working Model" from some books. MSDN might have a trial, and of course there is the illegal way...
    David
  • : : I'm a high school student in the strand of Computer Programming at Miami Central's Academy of Information Technology magnet program. We work on VB 6.0 basically every day, and I am currently working on a program for my mother. But first, I would like to know, does anybody know where I can download a copy of VB 6.0 for free? please let me know, because my parents are not willing to pay around $100 for one program. Please help me!
    : :
    : You could get a "Working Model" from some books. MSDN might have a trial, and of course there is the illegal way...
    : David
    :

Depending on what you're doing, VB5 is virtually identical to VB6. There is a VB5CCE (Control Creation Edition) available for free from MS's website. I've heard there is a VB6CCE but I've never seen it. The problem is that it can't compile exe's but if the program is fairly small, someone here might be willing to compile it for you...
  • : I'm a high school student in the strand of Computer Programming at Miami Central's Academy of Information Technology magnet program. We work on VB 6.0 basically every day, and I am currently working on a program for my mother. But first, I would like to know, does anybody know where I can download a copy of VB 6.0 for free? please let me know, because my parents are not willing to pay around $100 for one program. Please help me!

If you want to be a programmer, teach yourself other languages. There are many free and/or Free languages you can use instead of VB6. Just because they're teaching it to you in school doesn't mean it's your only option. And, IMO, it's certainly not worth breaking the law to obtain.

Sad that an "Academy of Information Technology" would be pushing VB so hard.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• : Sad that an "Academy of Information Technology" would be pushing VB so hard.
    :

Expected though. BASIC is relatively simple to learn. VB is even more so compared to other Win32 languages. This would lower the cost of teaching a language. Since a language [italic]is[/italic] taught, I'm sure it fulfills some requirement...
  • : : Sad that an "Academy of Information Technology" would be pushing VB so hard.
    :
    : Expected though. BASIC is relatively simple to learn. VB is even more so compared to other Win32 languages. This would lower the cost of teaching a language. Since a language [italic]is[/italic] taught, I'm sure it fulfills some requirement...
    :
    I would have thought that they would belearng something more advanced like c.
    David
  • : : Sad that an "Academy of Information Technology" would be pushing
    : : VB so hard.
    : Expected though. BASIC is relatively simple to learn. VB is even
    : more so compared to other Win32 languages. This would lower the cost
    : of teaching a language. Since a language [italic]is[/italic] taught,
    : I'm sure it fulfills some requirement...
    :
    Some requirements maybe, but as for teaching I'm far from convinced it's a good idea. My experience of being on a computing course where they used VB wasn't too great. It doesn't have the cleanest OOP implementation so it wasn't great for teaching that. Linked lists in VB...well...not the best place for a real representation of them. It's very lenient too, which is not always the best thing for a teaching language. Something where people have to declare variables etc so they get into the habbit would be preferable. All in all I saw a lot of sloppy code written by other people on the course. Not that the teaching was brilliant, the first year the teacher kept asking me to look at people's problems in VB, when I'd subsequently spot them in about 10 seconds. Second year guy knew his stuff better, thankfully.

Not to worry, it meant I could spend large chunks of college time working on what is now an open source project...and get an A Level that got me to uni.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");