sending and receivig

Could somebody please inform me about where I start learning about running a pascal program that accepts input via phone line, manipulates it and then sends back a result. I have no idea how to implemnent this interface.
Thank you for any help.

Comments

• : Could somebody please inform me about where I start learning about running a pascal program that accepts input via phone line, manipulates it and then sends back a result. I have no idea how to implemnent this interface.
    : Thank you for any help.
    :
    :
    The only way to do your problem is to write low level assembler code with interrupts for the modem or write a driver for the modem. But if you meant to send and recive data via internet there is a TCP/IP based unit to handle network sending and reciveing. I don't think there is one for TP but Free pascal already has it. It is called sockets. If you wish to have more info on this subject post any question.
  • : : Could somebody please inform me about where I start learning about running a pascal program that accepts input via phone line, manipulates it and then sends back a result. I have no idea how to implemnent this interface.
    : : Thank you for any help.
    : :
    : The only way to do your problem is to write low level assembler code with interrupts for the modem or write a driver for the modem. But if you meant to send and recive data via internet there is a TCP/IP based unit to handle network sending and reciveing. I don't think there is one for TP but Free pascal already has it. It is called sockets. If you wish to have more info on this subject post any question.
    :

Thank you for your reply bpajk
    Perhaps I should clarify (for my own sake)
    I have an alphanumeric keypad with a modem. Upon inststruction it makes a phone call to my computer. On my computer there is a pascal program running that adds integers. When you hit 4 and 5 on the keypad, the pascal program figures out the answer is 9 and sends this info to the keypad screen. This is bassically what I need to find out how to do.
    Can I use Delphi for this function so that I can also use the pascal that I already know? Do I need to learn C? (please NO, I am an old dog) Is freepascal stable?
    Thank you very much once again.

• : : : Could somebody please inform me about where I start learning about running a pascal program that accepts input via phone line, manipulates it and then sends back a result. I have no idea how to implemnent this interface.
    : : : Thank you for any help.
    : : :
    : : :
    : : The only way to do your problem is to write low level assembler code with interrupts for the modem or write a driver for the modem. But if you meant to send and recive data via internet there is a TCP/IP based unit to handle network sending and reciveing. I don't think there is one for TP but Free pascal already has it. It is called sockets. If you wish to have more info on this subject post any question.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Thank you for your reply bpajk
    : Perhaps I should clarify (for my own sake)
    : I have an alphanumeric keypad with a modem. Upon inststruction it makes a phone call to my computer. On my computer there is a pascal program running that adds integers. When you hit 4 and 5 on the keypad, the pascal program figures out the answer is 9 and sends this info to the keypad screen. This is bassically what I need to find out how to do.
    : Can I use Delphi for this function so that I can also use the pascal that I already know? Do I need to learn C? (please NO, I am an old dog) Is freepascal stable?
    : Thank you very much once again.
    :
    :
    You can probably use any 32bit compiler. This is necessary because 16bit compilers have problems accessing resources under 32bit operating systems. Free pascal is a stable compiler and you could use it. You could also use Delhpi for this, but it is not totaly free and it does not have the same syntax as TP. Free pascal has the same syntax as TP and it is free.

You would like to send data from the keypad to the computer via modem to modem link? I don't know how to access the low level functions of the modem, to figure out which number was send. Look oround the internet for that one, or maybe someone on this forum had some experiance on that subject.