How can I set a certain window to make it active?

All right folks, I am attempting to write a desktop Interface for IceWM linux Window Manager in Java.

A major problem that I have encountered is that there is no function in Java, that when a number of GUI based applications are open, a certain window can be set active.

The only way I feel I can get round it is to write code in C (which I can incorporate into Java), that can do this.

I know a little C but I know nothing of Linux X-Windows programming. Can anyone recommend any good tutorials?

Thanks in advance

Alza

Comments

• Thanks mate, it does what I want and it gives me a starting point to what I want to achieve.

• : All right folks, I am attempting to write a desktop Interface for IceWM linux Window Manager in Java.
    :
    : A major problem that I have encountered is that there is no function in Java, that when a number of GUI based applications are open, a certain window can be set active.
    :
    : The only way I feel I can get round it is to write code in C (which I can incorporate into Java), that can do this.
    :
    : I know a little C but I know nothing of Linux X-Windows programming. Can anyone recommend any good tutorials?
    :
    : Thanks in advance
    :
    : Alza

>> Ya I prefer using GTK+ for c++ binding
    >>use the gtk_setactive()....fn with relevant params for the problem
    :visit the gtk site and get the fn protos.........thanku

• [b][red]This message was edited by siminone at 2004-3-25 13:6:44[/red][/b][hr]
    Thanks for replying.

I have been looking at a XLib tutorial and it is possible to do that but I can't find a command to get a list of opened windows on session.

Not sure if this is possible in X Lib?

• : I can't find a command to get a list of opened windows on session.
    : Not sure if this is possible in X Lib?

This example is a little hard to follow, but it
    should at least show that it is possible:

http://www.chatjunkies.org/fspanel/
  • cheers Jeff, I am getting to be a bit of a pain aren't I? lol.

Thanks to your help and others I have got a starting point to go forward with.

I have started a XLib tutorial and though I am slowly getting to grips with it, I am not getting close to the part that I require. I think the only way I can do it is to reverse-engineer the two programs you have supplied.

For anyone who's interested the project I am working on is located at http://sourceforge.net/projects/natkng.

It is nowhere near the beginning but hopefully I will get it up and running in the coming months and hopefully provide a Desktop that people want.