ls with no filename???

Hi... when I did ls, there is a non empty file which does not show the filename... I wonder how it happened? how can I delete that member if there is no filename showing but only the total nbr of bytes and other attributes. It's weird !
Please help!!!
Thanks

Comments

• : Hi... when I did ls, there is a non empty file which does not show the filename... I wonder how it happened? how can I delete that member if there is no filename showing but only the total nbr of bytes and other attributes. It's weird !
    : Please help!!!
    : Thanks

It sounds to me like the filename has a name of whitespaces. To test this, do another ls but use a backslash to escape the first whitespace. For example:
    ls

Then after you do the first , hit your spacebar and hit your tab button. Assuming you have tab completion and the name is whitespaces, the filename should complete for you. Then you should be able to remove the file the same way.

X
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH X!!! it worked !
    I love this message board...!

: : Hi... when I did ls, there is a non empty file which does not show the filename... I wonder how it happened? how can I delete that member if there is no filename showing but only the total nbr of bytes and other attributes. It's weird !
    : : Please help!!!
    : : Thanks
    :
    : It sounds to me like the filename has a name of whitespaces. To test this, do another ls but use a backslash to escape the first whitespace. For example:
    : ls
    :
    : Then after you do the first , hit your spacebar and hit your tab button. Assuming you have tab completion and the name is whitespaces, the filename should complete for you. Then you should be able to remove the file the same way.
    :
    : X
    :