java executble..

hi friends,

till now i got just 4 replies for my total 15 posts n this forum i dono why ppl here are not replying, i think all are busy, anyway i continue my next post..

how could we ever make a byte code run? iam aware that
'java classname' does this job, but wat if it comes to packing the project? how do we do it, i also mean by putting this question before you ppl, that we should do it without using applets. i propably didnt get anything as for now, could anyone enlighten me with this thing?

regards,
Archu.
"Iam not the rock, but the sand that made it"
==================>Archu<==================

Comments

• : hi friends,
    :
    : till now i got just 4 replies for my total 15 posts n this forum i dono why ppl here are not replying, i think all are busy, anyway i continue my next post..
    :
    : how could we ever make a byte code run? iam aware that
    : 'java classname' does this job, but wat if it comes to packing the project? how do we do it, i also mean by putting this question before you ppl, that we should do it without using applets. i propably didnt get anything as for now, could anyone enlighten me with this thing?

You can package your program as a JAR file, which with the right file associations, can be run automatically when you double click on it (under Windows anyway). I think the file associations get set as part of Sun's JRE installation.
  • It is also possible to run java programs as normal
    executable files on Linux, and I believe on Sun's Java
    Environment.

• so how do i get it working for in a platform independent way.
    i mean same package for linux and windows and all other os, could anyone guide me over this..?

• : so how do i get it working for in a platform independent way.
    : i mean same package for linux and windows and all other os, could anyone guide me over this..?

As long as you stick to standard JAVA, it is inherently platform independant. What I meant in my message was I didn't know if you could just type "myprogram.jar" at the command-line in Linux, like you can in Windows (or, on later versions of Windows anyway).

But whether or not that is possible, it will definitely be possible to run "java -jar myprogram.jar".
  • A JAR is a ZIP file into which you can put class files + other resources (directories must match package hierarchies). A file META-INF/manifest.mf provides metadata such as the class containing the main method, other jars yours depends on, etc.

Read this:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html

Read this on executables:
    http://www.rolemaker.dk/nonRoleMaker/javalauncher/marner_java_launcher.htm

You can redistribute the JRE directory that comes with the SDK, but read the license agreement first.

---------------------------------
    [size=1]HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

• hey that second link is rather kool

thanks for the info.

regards,
    Archu