Form.Hide() is not hiding the form!

I'm developing in VS.NET 2003 on WindowsXP Pro.

I'm seeing a strange intermittent bug where I will hide a form (using Me.Hide()), and the form remains visible. Debugging the form shows that the form properties are being set correctly (Me.Visible = False, yet the form is still visible!). This behavior happens on XP, and not on win2k.

I've been able to duplicate this issue in the debugger (on XP) by setting a breakpoint on the Me.Hide() line.

When the breakpoint is hit:

1) Focus on the window to be hidden
2) Drag the window to be hidden a short distance
3) Step to the next line of code in the debugger (executing Me.Hide())
4) Watch in amazement as the window does not hide (even though Me.Visible = false).

Any idea what I can do to make sure that a window hides when it's supposed to hide? I can't destroy this window, as there are ActiveX controls that are required by my main application.

Mike

Comments

• same thing happened to me once.. what i did was i went forward in debug mode all the way till the end..
    turns out, there were some unresolved small errors and some uninitializes stuff after i removed all the SMALL ERRORS and made all my CODE RIGHT, i ran it again and it worked!
    what about u?
    mamanged to get it to work yet?

[size=1][COLOR=blue]"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."[i]1Thess. 5:16-18[/i][/color][/size]

• It's possible that when you break at that line the paint event is not being triggered. Without seeing your code (why does no one show there's?!?) I would try:

With Me
    Hide()
    Invalidate()
    Update()
    DoEvents()
    End With

: I'm developing in VS.NET 2003 on WindowsXP Pro.
    :
    : I'm seeing a strange intermittent bug where I will hide a form (using Me.Hide()), and the form remains visible. Debugging the form shows that the form properties are being set correctly (Me.Visible = False, yet the form is still visible!). This behavior happens on XP, and not on win2k.
    :
    : I've been able to duplicate this issue in the debugger (on XP) by setting a breakpoint on the Me.Hide() line.
    :
    : When the breakpoint is hit:
    :
    : 1) Focus on the window to be hidden
    : 2) Drag the window to be hidden a short distance
    : 3) Step to the next line of code in the debugger (executing Me.Hide())
    : 4) Watch in amazement as the window does not hide (even though Me.Visible = false).
    :
    : Any idea what I can do to make sure that a window hides when it's supposed to hide? I can't destroy this window, as there are ActiveX controls that are required by my main application.
    :
    : Mike
    :

• I've never been able to solve the problem, so as a work-around, I enabled the control box (minimize/maximize/close) and trapped the Close event to minimize the form instead.

I'm certain that this is a bug in the .NET Framework 1.1, perhaps having something to do with COM interop (I have non-visible ActiveX components on the form in question). It happens randomly on Windows XP and not on Windows 2000.