Application for new C/C++ game programmer

I've been programming games by the means of pascal/delphi for quite som time now and I am starting to fell ready for programming in C/C++. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't C++ a much more suitable language for game programming? Well here's the thing, I was just wondering what application the professional gameprogrammers use when programming. Do they use C or C++, borland C++ builder or visual C++ or others?

Comments

• I would say C is much more suitable because a C program is simpler and run faster and portable to all platforms/consoles..
    anyway if you want to learn Windows programming download the free DevC++ IDE,even if you dont like it,their examples are good (Dev-CppExamples) and there are a lot of compilers links in http://bloodshed.net/compilers/
  • Hi,

professional gamers use a Game engine like Torque, 3d Games etc together with a C++ or C-Script editor.

You cannot code games with C++ or C only since it lacks the powerful graphics and animation features Game engines support.

Google for Game engines or check out www.garagegames.com to see an example engine.

cheers.
    Alex

www.razedskyz.com

: I've been programming games by the means of pascal/delphi for quite som time now and I am starting to fell ready for programming in C/C++. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't C++ a much more suitable language for game programming? Well here's the thing, I was just wondering what application the professional gameprogrammers use when programming. Do they use C or C++, borland C++ builder or visual C++ or others?
    :

• HI!

Well, that's all good and dandy, but surely those game engines must have been programmed using a basic programming language like C,C++ or Pascal right? I'm not planning on using a premade game engine. In order to be able to say this game is entierly mine, i would have to code the game engine as well ;)

[size=1]b[/size][blue][size=5]o[/size][/blue][size=1]fj@as[/size]

• I think a lot of game engines are based on either DirectX or OpenGL. OpenGL is a graphics API and DirectX is a Graphics, Sound, Networking and Input API.

DirectX communicates with hardware to do graphics and sound etc. I'm not sure exactly how it does it but i would say probably through assembly or something. I'm guessing OpenGL does something similar.

If you want to create your own game engine i would suggest learning DirectX or OpenGL and writing it around one of those APIs.

• Hi,

yes and no. Most commercial game engines waive all source code rights and you are the owner of your work. Second, why would you want to reinvent the wheel untill you want to have something really specific to your needs.

Of course, there is no one way to do things right but if you want to have professional game design and features you may want to have at least a 3D modelling platform.

You may use the Irrlicht game engine which is free ware and platformindependent and the Blender 3Dmodeller which is also freeware.

Another free game programming library is Allegro which compiles to Linux and Windows.

As a professional programmer i may tell you that hardcoding all this stuff is long and painfull, even if you use OpenGL and DirectX.

Good luck and have a lot of fun!
    cheers.
    Alex

: HI!
    :
    : Well, that's all good and dandy, but surely those game engines must have been programmed using a basic programming language like C,C++ or Pascal right? I'm not planning on using a premade game engine. In order to be able to say this game is entierly mine, i would have to code the game engine as well ;)
    :
    : [size=1]b[/size][blue][size=5]o[/size][/blue][size=1]fj@as[/size]
    :
    :

• The games that I have worked on were written in dos assemly language. But, those games were written before 1992. To list a few:
    Golden Axe - PC version.
    Cuckoo Zoo - PC kids learning game.

Now, most games are written in C/C++ for faster code writing, but they mostly incorporate a graphics engine written in another language. The lower level the language is, the faster it makes things move.

Thaz

• Now I don't think I have nor the plans or capability to create a professional game, I'm nothin but ONE humble game programmer, but what I do believe I can make, is a fun game. Open GL and DirectX 3dprogramming have never been a problem when using delphi/pascal, it's just that when I reach a certain complexity in the game, it moves at slower and slower framerates. And I do believe I have optimized it as best I can. AIVision detecting, landscape drawing and character animation couldn't be more basic than in my games (Vertexcount on the characters is bellow the vertexcount for the goldeneye64 characters).And since my basic 3d games move as slow as this, it was under my impression that programming the same game for C/c++ as i did in delphi would speed things up, since cleary C/C++ is the language most used in all means of programming. And as my eye whitness in games like Far Cry, my game would be able to have over a hundre frames per second if programmed the right way.
    [size=1]b[/size][blue][size=5]o[/size][/blue][size=1]fj@as[/size]