help on performing ms-dos "dir" command in assembly (tasm)

good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!

Comments

• : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    :
    [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
  • : : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    : :
    : [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
    :

got it.. i was able to show the searched file's filenames.. but how can i output its size, location, date/time modified?? are those in ascii format which needs to be converted?

• : : : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    : : :
    : : [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
    :
    : got it.. i was able to show the searched file's filenames.. but how can i output its size, location, date/time modified?? are those in ascii format which needs to be converted?
    :
    :
    [blue]size and date/time are inside the FCB in binary format, so you need to convert these values to ASCII. What do you mean by 'location'? If you talking about full path - it is not there - you have to keep track of the path in your code. There is an interrupt returning current working path.[/blue]
  • : : : : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    : : : :
    : : : [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
    : : got it.. i was able to show the searched file's filenames.. but how can i output its size, location, date/time modified?? are those in ascii format which needs to be converted?
    : [blue]size and date/time are inside the FCB in binary format, so you need to convert these values to ASCII. What do you mean by 'location'? If you talking about full path - it is not there - you have to keep track of the path in your code. There is an interrupt returning current working path.[/blue]
    :

got it.. big thanks for the infos..

• : : : : : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    : : : : :
    : : : : [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
    : : : got it.. i was able to show the searched file's filenames.. but how can i output its size, location, date/time modified?? are those in ascii format which needs to be converted?
    : : [blue]size and date/time are inside the FCB in binary format, so you need to convert these values to ASCII. What do you mean by 'location'? If you talking about full path - it is not there - you have to keep track of the path in your code. There is an interrupt returning current working path.[/blue]
    :
    :
    : got it.. big thanks for the infos..
    :
    :
    mind asking, but is there a command to convert binary to ASCII??
  • : : : : : : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : [blue]You need INT 21H functions 4E, 4F.[/blue]
    : : : : :
    : : : : got it.. i was able to show the searched file's filenames.. but how can i output its size, location, date/time modified?? are those in ascii format which needs to be converted?
    : : : [blue]size and date/time are inside the FCB in binary format, so you need to convert these values to ASCII. What do you mean by 'location'? If you talking about full path - it is not there - you have to keep track of the path in your code. There is an interrupt returning current working path.[/blue]
    : : got it.. big thanks for the infos..
    : mind asking, but is there a command to convert binary to ASCII??
    :
    [blue]No CPU command like that, but you can find some code on the Web... basically, you divide the value by 10 until zero is left:

2390 / 10 - 239 and remainder 0 (add to rem. '0' and you get an ASCII digit '0')

239 / 10 - 23 and remainder 9 (add to rem. '0' and you get an ASCII digit '9')

and so on...

save digits on stack to display them in reverse order.
    [/blue]
  • : good day. pls help me on showing a list of files together with its attributes (i.e., file size, date created/modified, location) on the dos prompt just like typing 'dir' in ms-dos. thanks!
    [code]
    The code below converts a hex DIGIT (0 thru 0Fh) in al to its ascii equivalent, also in al:

cmp al,10 ;CF = 1 iff al < 10
    sbb al,69h ;subtract w borrow
    das ;now al = ascii(value originally in al)

I hope you find this useful. Do note that it's only for a DIGIT.

jf

[/code]

• Hello,
    Ralf Brown's interrupt list is available on the net with a Google search.
    It has the INT info for the kinds of stuff you're looking for.
    Get/send data to DTA instead of FCB (File Control Block (extinct)) &
    it works ok. Then a search through the old messages here will get you code for value conversions like binary/hex/decimal to ASCII binary/hex/decimal etc,. There are links listed to code & info here also.
    On the left of this message "ADVANCED SEARCH" is a good place to start.
    One INT does a wild card search & sends the data to DTA. (werks great)

Gud luk
    Bitdog