Importing a pipe-delimited text file to SQL Server

Hi,

I need to import data in a pipe-delimited text file to a SQL Server 2K database (distributed in multiple tables). I will also need to include some additional information which is not in the source file when the data is imported. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• : Hi,
    :
    : I need to import data in a pipe-delimited text file to a SQL Server 2K database (distributed in multiple tables). I will also need to include some additional information which is not in the source file when the data is imported. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    :

The import function in enterprise manager should be quite enough to perform this task

//Mikael
  • : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I need to import data in a pipe-delimited text file to a SQL Server 2K database (distributed in multiple tables). I will also need to include some additional information which is not in the source file when the data is imported. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?
    : : Thanks in advance.
    :
    : The import function in enterprise manager should be quite enough to perform this task
    :
    : //Mikael
    :
    Thanks, but perhaps I should have been more specific. I would like to know if there is an easy way to do this via Delphi. In other words, I can import easily using SQL Server, but my end users do not have SQL Server (my apps are deployed on Citrix on which I set up a connection to the database.) Is there a capability in Delphi which can transfer textfile contents to SQL Server (with the option to format source data before it is inserted into SQL Server) w/out having to specifically parse every line of the source file?
  • Perhaps i should have put another thought into why you used this forum... ;)

The functionality to perform this task is of course availeable in Delphi, but it needs to be built.

It shouldn't be too difficult unless the table structure needs to be built aswell. If the structure is defined just reading from a file and inserting records using SQL statements in an ADOQuery should work nicely.

//Mikael