NT designer

Hi, everyone... first message here.

Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?

Thank you for your comments!

Comments

• : Hi, everyone... first message here.
    :
    : Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?
    :
    : Thank you for your comments!
    :
    [blue]I am not sure that it was a single person. The OS (as complex, as NT) designed by a team of people. There are a few versions of NT (... 3.51, then 4.0). I know only for sure that Microsoft had two main streams of OS design: the system which is based on a DOS kernel (meaning that Windows is just a shell which runs by 16-bit DOS) - Win9x family and the system which is pure 32 bit at its core - WinNT family. Eventually Win9x family was discontinued (I think Millenium edition was the last one - WinMe) and now only NT family is in production - Win2000, WinXP. Thre is another 64-bit system is comig up - so called "Longhorn" - we'll see how it goes...[/blue]
  • : : Hi, everyone... first message here.
    : :
    : : Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?
    : : Thank you for your comments!
    : [blue]I am not sure that it was a single person. The OS (as complex, as NT) designed by a team of people. There are a few versions of NT (... 3.51, then 4.0). I know only for sure that Microsoft had two main streams of OS design: the system which is based on a DOS kernel (meaning that Windows is just a shell which runs by 16-bit DOS) - Win9x family and the system which is pure 32 bit at its core - WinNT family. Eventually Win9x family was discontinued (I think Millenium edition was the last one - WinMe) and now only NT family is in production - Win2000, WinXP. Thre is another 64-bit system is comig up - so called "Longhorn" - we'll see how it goes...[/blue]
    :
    Hi, and thank you for your response. After posting here I read that David Cutler was hired by Bill Gates in order to develop a new OS from the ground up. He has been the lead designer (of course, managing a huge team) since the beginning of NT up to XP, I think. What I am not sure of is if the same Cutler is in charge of the very much delayed Longhorn... and much anticipated too.
  • : : : Hi, everyone... first message here.
    : : :
    : : : Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?
    : : : Thank you for your comments!
    : : [blue]I am not sure that it was a single person. The OS (as complex, as NT) designed by a team of people. There are a few versions of NT (... 3.51, then 4.0). I know only for sure that Microsoft had two main streams of OS design: the system which is based on a DOS kernel (meaning that Windows is just a shell which runs by 16-bit DOS) - Win9x family and the system which is pure 32 bit at its core - WinNT family. Eventually Win9x family was discontinued (I think Millenium edition was the last one - WinMe) and now only NT family is in production - Win2000, WinXP. Thre is another 64-bit system is comig up - so called "Longhorn" - we'll see how it goes...[/blue]
    : Hi, and thank you for your response. After posting here I read that David Cutler was hired by Bill Gates in order to develop a new OS from the ground up. He has been the lead designer (of course, managing a huge team) since the beginning of NT up to XP, I think. What I am not sure of is if the same Cutler is in charge of the very much delayed Longhorn... and much anticipated too.
    :
    [blue]Probably, he is... why hire another one if that one already knows the MS technology principles and such?.. Iam not much into history, so I can't say for sure, but that choice would be logical.

A year back or so - the pieces of source code of Longhorn was leaked - maybe that is the cause of the delay? The most programming for this system will be done using .NET - even drivers, as far as I have researched this.

I am not sure even if the pure Win32 coding will be open to use...[/blue]
  • : Hi, everyone... first message here.
    :
    : Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?
    :
    : Thank you for your comments!
    :

Most of NT's lead developers came from Digital Corp.

http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=97&ArticleID=4494
  • [b][red]This message was edited by edgary at 2004-9-14 12:45:49[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi, everyone... first message here.
    : : Does anyone know who was the main designer for Windows NT, and which previous OS he helped to design?
    : : Thank you for your comments!
    :
    : Most of NT's lead developers came from Digital Corp.
    :
    : http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=97&ArticleID=4494
    :
    Very true, and I wonder why that is ? Would it be because Cutler wanted to take his team to Microsoft?

In another note regarding the article, the similarities between VMS and NT are inminent at some point. It is Cutler's work and experience and he obviously took that with him when he took the job at Microsoft.