Delphi 5 application upgraded to win XP prof

[b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,

About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.

I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?

Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
;-)
-mac-
mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
the Netherlands...

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    :
    : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    :
    : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    :
    : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : ;-)
    : -mac-
    : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : the Netherlands...
    :
    :
    Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : ;-)
    : : -mac-
    : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : the Netherlands...
    : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    :

Ok,

hope this is enough:

Here's a screenshot from the error:
    http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp

the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    [code]
    procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    begin
    // Initialiseren meldingen
    sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';

// Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';

// Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);

// dbAlias instellen
    reg := TRegistry.Create;
    with reg do begin
    try
    RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    strAlias := '';
    if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    finally
    reg.free;
    end;
    end;
    // Alias instellen
    dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;

// Datum invullen
    depDatum.Date := Date;

// De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    end;

OpenQuery();

cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    end;

[/code]
    ;-)
    -mac-
    the Netherlands...

• : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : ;-)
    : : : -mac-
    : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : the Netherlands...
    : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    :
    :
    : Ok,
    :
    : hope this is enough:
    :
    : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    :
    : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : [code]
    : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : begin
    : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    :
    : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    :
    : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    :
    : // dbAlias instellen
    : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : with reg do begin
    : try
    : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : strAlias := '';
    : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : finally
    : reg.free;
    : end;
    : // Alias instellen
    : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    :
    : // Datum invullen
    : depDatum.Date := Date;
    :
    : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    :
    : OpenQuery();
    :
    : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    :
    That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
  • I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.

I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.

Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.

Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...

: : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : Hi,
    : : : :
    : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : ;-)
    : : : : -mac-
    : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : Ok,
    : : hope this is enough:
    : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : [code]
    : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : begin
    : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : with reg do begin
    : : try
    : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : strAlias := '';
    : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : finally
    : : reg.free;
    : : end;
    : : // Alias instellen
    : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : // Datum invullen
    : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : OpenQuery();
    : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : [/code]
    : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    :

;-)
    -mac-
    the Netherlands...

• : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    :
    : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    :
    : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    :
    : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    :
    : ........................
    :
    : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : :
    : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : Ok,
    : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : [code]
    : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : begin
    : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : with reg do begin
    : : : try
    : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : finally
    : : : reg.free;
    : : : end;
    : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : [/code]
    : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
  • I didn't understand the BDEDEPLOY.TXT and installed Installshield Express that was also on my CDROM. I Tried to create a package, but I think I did something wrong, because I build a diskimage and tested it. The Installation wend just fine, but now I get the error too.

See: http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/ApplicationError.bmp

I selected:

DBE (Borlad Database Engine) (Created the aliasses for my databases)
    BDE Control Panel File
    Database Component Packages
    Delphi Sample Component Packages
    BDE Database Component Packages

In the screen: Specify Components and files / Groups tab: I Added my databases and my executables

Dialog boxes:
    Welcome Message
    Choose Destination Location ( BANKPRIV2003 )
    Select Program Folder (AdministratieBank v1.6)
    Start Copying files
    Progress Indicator
    Setup Complete

Specify folder andd Icons: (I thought This was for creating icons in the startmenu but can I only add one...?)
    General settings:
    Run command: [program files]ank.exe
    Description: bank
    Show normal

Advanced:

Default folder

After this was filled in I chose Disk Builder and then I tested it by clicking Test Run

What did I mis? follow the link to see the error.

-mac-

: : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    : : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    : : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    : : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    : : ........................
    : : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : : Ok,
    : : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : : [code]
    : : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : : begin
    : : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : : with reg do begin
    : : : : try
    : : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : : finally
    : : : : reg.free;
    : : : : end;
    : : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : : [/code]
    : : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    : The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
    :
    ;-)
    -mac-
    the Netherlands...

• : I didn't understand the BDEDEPLOY.TXT and installed Installshield Express that was also on my CDROM. I Tried to create a package, but I think I did something wrong, because I build a diskimage and tested it. The Installation wend just fine, but now I get the error too.
    :
    : See: http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/ApplicationError.bmp
    :
    : I selected:
    :
    : DBE (Borlad Database Engine) (Created the aliasses for my databases)
    : BDE Control Panel File
    : Database Component Packages
    : Delphi Sample Component Packages
    : BDE Database Component Packages
    :
    : In the screen: Specify Components and files / Groups tab: I Added my databases and my executables
    :
    : Dialog boxes:
    : Welcome Message
    : Choose Destination Location ( BANKPRIV2003 )
    : Select Program Folder (AdministratieBank v1.6)
    : Start Copying files
    : Progress Indicator
    : Setup Complete
    :
    : Specify folder andd Icons: (I thought This was for creating icons in the startmenu but can I only add one...?)
    : General settings:
    : Run command: [program files]ank.exe
    : Description: bank
    : Show normal
    :
    : Advanced:
    :
    : Default folder
    :
    :
    : After this was filled in I chose Disk Builder and then I tested it by clicking Test Run
    :
    : What did I mis? follow the link to see the error.
    :
    :
    : : : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    : : : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    : : : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    : : : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    : : : ........................
    : : : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : : : Ok,
    : : : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : : : begin
    : : : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : : : with reg do begin
    : : : : : try
    : : : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : : : finally
    : : : : : reg.free;
    : : : : : end;
    : : : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    : : The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
    :
    :
    :
    I don't know. I never use the BDE for this kind of reasons. It appears the specified file is assumed to be part of windows by the BDE, and thus not included in its install. But it was scrapped or renamed from/in WinXP. You can include it in the install package as additional files, although I don't know how exactly (Wise Installer user).
  • [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-30 6:52:0[/red][/b][hr]
    I didn't understand the BDEDEPLOY.TXT and installed Installshield Express that was also on my CDROM. I Tried to create a package, but I think I did something wrong, because I build a diskimage and tested it. The Installation wend just fine, but now I get the error too.
    I Found the reason for the error:

I added database aliases in the BDE screen, but When I removed them with BDE Administrator the application worked again. I now officially don't understand anymore what this whole BDE is about. Do I need it or not ?

I already hade made alilasses in the ODBC manager, and when I also make an Alias in de BDE it gives the error.

But the error on the computer of the man I wrote the application for was different although it did occur on connection to the database.
    it sayed: An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine.

I now suggest to do the following:
    Create an installshield apackage that includes the BDE but does not set any aliasses. When I was there last week I already created ODBC aliasses, so when he installes the package the BDE will be installed but the old ODBC aliasses wil be used for the application.

Only question now is how can I make an installation package that also creates ODBC aliasses ? Or did I do something wrong while creating the application. Did I have to tell the database components that I didn't want to use the ODBC aliasses but the BDE aliasses ?

But let's first try to get this all to work... Meanwhile if you have any suggestions about the above, please be welcome to add them to this thread...

: : See: http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/ApplicationError.bmp
    : : I selected:
    : : DBE (Borlad Database Engine) (Created the aliasses for my databases)
    : : BDE Control Panel File
    : : Database Component Packages
    : : Delphi Sample Component Packages
    : : BDE Database Component Packages
    : : In the screen: Specify Components and files / Groups tab: I Added my databases and my executables

: : Dialog boxes:
    : : Welcome Message
    : : Choose Destination Location ( BANKPRIV2003 )
    : : Select Program Folder (AdministratieBank v1.6)
    : : Start Copying files
    : : Progress Indicator
    : : Setup Complete
    : : Specify folder andd Icons: (I thought This was for creating icons in the startmenu but can I only add one...?)
    : : General settings:
    : : Run command: [program files]ank.exe
    : : Description: bank
    : : Show normal
    : : Advanced:
    : : Default folder
    : : After this was filled in I chose Disk Builder and then I tested it by clicking Test Run
    : : What did I mis? follow the link to see the error.
    : : : : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    : : : : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    : : : : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    : : : : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    : : : : ........................
    : : : : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : : : : Ok,
    : : : : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : : : : begin
    : : : : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : : : : with reg do begin
    : : : : : : try
    : : : : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : : : : finally
    : : : : : : reg.free;
    : : : : : : end;
    : : : : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    : : : The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
    : I don't know. I never use the BDE for this kind of reasons. It appears the specified file is assumed to be part of windows by the BDE, and thus not included in its install. But it was scrapped or renamed from/in WinXP. You can include it in the install package as additional files, although I don't know how exactly (Wise Installer user).
    :

;-)
    -mac-
    the Netherlands...

• It worked. He installed the installationpackage with BDE, but without any BDE aliasses, and now the application works again.

My final question for this thread will be:

How can I use a BDE database so that I won't have to create an ODBC alias myself, but only let the installshield Express application create the BDE alias so that the end user can easily install the application himself, without any help of a computer guru who knows about ODBC.

I'd like to know this so that I can create a new installation package and create a CD-ROM for this man, so that he can install this himself if he renstalls windows or whatever.

hope someone can tell me this, thanx

: [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-30 6:52:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : I didn't understand the BDEDEPLOY.TXT and installed Installshield Express that was also on my CDROM. I Tried to create a package, but I think I did something wrong, because I build a diskimage and tested it. The Installation wend just fine, but now I get the error too.
    : I Found the reason for the error:
    :
    : I added database aliases in the BDE screen, but When I removed them with BDE Administrator the application worked again. I now officially don't understand anymore what this whole BDE is about. Do I need it or not ?
    :
    : I already hade made alilasses in the ODBC manager, and when I also make an Alias in de BDE it gives the error.
    :
    : But the error on the computer of the man I wrote the application for was different although it did occur on connection to the database.
    : it sayed: An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine.
    :
    : I now suggest to do the following:
    : Create an installshield apackage that includes the BDE but does not set any aliasses. When I was there last week I already created ODBC aliasses, so when he installes the package the BDE will be installed but the old ODBC aliasses wil be used for the application.
    :
    : Only question now is how can I make an installation package that also creates ODBC aliasses ? Or did I do something wrong while creating the application. Did I have to tell the database components that I didn't want to use the ODBC aliasses but the BDE aliasses ?
    :
    : But let's first try to get this all to work... Meanwhile if you have any suggestions about the above, please be welcome to add them to this thread...
    :
    :
    : : : See: http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/ApplicationError.bmp
    : : : I selected:
    : : : DBE (Borlad Database Engine) (Created the aliasses for my databases)
    : : : BDE Control Panel File
    : : : Database Component Packages
    : : : Delphi Sample Component Packages
    : : : BDE Database Component Packages
    : : : In the screen: Specify Components and files / Groups tab: I Added my databases and my executables
    :
    :
    : : : Dialog boxes:
    : : : Welcome Message
    : : : Choose Destination Location ( BANKPRIV2003 )
    : : : Select Program Folder (AdministratieBank v1.6)
    : : : Start Copying files
    : : : Progress Indicator
    : : : Setup Complete
    : : : Specify folder andd Icons: (I thought This was for creating icons in the startmenu but can I only add one...?)
    : : : General settings:
    : : : Run command: [program files]ank.exe
    : : : Description: bank
    : : : Show normal
    : : : Advanced:
    : : : Default folder
    : : : After this was filled in I chose Disk Builder and then I tested it by clicking Test Run
    : : : What did I mis? follow the link to see the error.
    : : : : : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    : : : : : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    : : : : : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    : : : : : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    : : : : : ........................
    : : : : : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : : : : : Ok,
    : : : : : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : : : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : : : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : : : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : : : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : : : : : begin
    : : : : : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : : : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : : : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : : : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : : : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : : : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : : : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : : : : : with reg do begin
    : : : : : : : try
    : : : : : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : : : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : : : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : : : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : : : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : : : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : : : : : finally
    : : : : : : : reg.free;
    : : : : : : : end;
    : : : : : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : : : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : : : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : : : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : : : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : : : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : : : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : : : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    : : : : The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
    : : I don't know. I never use the BDE for this kind of reasons. It appears the specified file is assumed to be part of windows by the BDE, and thus not included in its install. But it was scrapped or renamed from/in WinXP. You can include it in the install package as additional files, although I don't know how exactly (Wise Installer user).
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

;-)
    -mac-
    the Netherlands...

• : It worked. He installed the installationpackage with BDE, but without any BDE aliasses, and now the application works again.
    :
    : My final question for this thread will be:
    :
    : How can I use a BDE database so that I won't have to create an ODBC alias myself, but only let the installshield Express application create the BDE alias so that the end user can easily install the application himself, without any help of a computer guru who knows about ODBC.
    :
    : I'd like to know this so that I can create a new installation package and create a CD-ROM for this man, so that he can install this himself if he renstalls windows or whatever.
    :
    : hope someone can tell me this, thanx
    :
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-30 6:52:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I didn't understand the BDEDEPLOY.TXT and installed Installshield Express that was also on my CDROM. I Tried to create a package, but I think I did something wrong, because I build a diskimage and tested it. The Installation wend just fine, but now I get the error too.
    : : I Found the reason for the error:
    : : I added database aliases in the BDE screen, but When I removed them with BDE Administrator the application worked again. I now officially don't understand anymore what this whole BDE is about. Do I need it or not ?
    : : I already hade made alilasses in the ODBC manager, and when I also make an Alias in de BDE it gives the error.
    : : But the error on the computer of the man I wrote the application for was different although it did occur on connection to the database.
    : : it sayed: An error occurred while attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine.
    : : I now suggest to do the following:
    : : Create an installshield apackage that includes the BDE but does not set any aliasses. When I was there last week I already created ODBC aliasses, so when he installes the package the BDE will be installed but the old ODBC aliasses wil be used for the application.
    : : Only question now is how can I make an installation package that also creates ODBC aliasses ? Or did I do something wrong while creating the application. Did I have to tell the database components that I didn't want to use the ODBC aliasses but the BDE aliasses ?
    : : But let's first try to get this all to work... Meanwhile if you have any suggestions about the above, please be welcome to add them to this thread...
    : : : : See: http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/ApplicationError.bmp
    : : : : I selected:
    : : : : DBE (Borlad Database Engine) (Created the aliasses for my databases)
    : : : : BDE Control Panel File
    : : : : Database Component Packages
    : : : : Delphi Sample Component Packages
    : : : : BDE Database Component Packages
    : : : : In the screen: Specify Components and files / Groups tab: I Added my databases and my executables
    : : : : Dialog boxes:
    : : : : Welcome Message
    : : : : Choose Destination Location ( BANKPRIV2003 )
    : : : : Select Program Folder (AdministratieBank v1.6)
    : : : : Start Copying files
    : : : : Progress Indicator
    : : : : Setup Complete
    : : : : Specify folder andd Icons: (I thought This was for creating icons in the startmenu but can I only add one...?)
    : : : : General settings:
    : : : : Run command: [program files]ank.exe
    : : : : Description: bank
    : : : : Show normal
    : : : : Advanced:
    : : : : Default folder
    : : : : After this was filled in I chose Disk Builder and then I tested it by clicking Test Run
    : : : : What did I mis? follow the link to see the error.
    : : : : : : I created a test application with a few buttons that each contained a few lines that where in the formCreate function. It crashed on the connection to the database.
    : : : : : : I think the problem is that the new computer doesn't have the Borland BDE installed yet. I don't really remember what to install to get the BDE installed.
    : : : : : : Is it Interbase 5.5 or Local Interbase that I need to install. And wich files do I need to copy to his computer ? I have the Delphi 5 CD here at home and wasn't planning on going there again very soon, it's a bit far from my home. I'd like to copy the needed files to his computer and let him install it. That is if it's just a simple "next" clicking installation.
    : : : : : : Can anyone tell me wich files I need to copy ? There is a Borland SharedBde directory on the CD, but no Install.exe or anything like that...
    : : : : : : ........................
    : : : : : : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by mac_doggie at 2004-9-27 11:10:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : : : : : Hi,
    : : : : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : : : : About a year ago I created a Delphi 5 application for someone who had Win Millennium on his PC. He now bought a new PC with XP prof. servicepack 2 And the application will not run anymore. The error doesn't give any detailed information just that the progam will be terminated and if we want to send an error report.
    : : : : : : : : : : I have Win XP Home edition servicepack 2 and there the application runs just fine. Al must also say that I've got a dutch version and he has an English version, but the registry key's I used in the application are the same in both versions, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    : : : : : : : : : : Could it be that it is because he has professional and I have Home edition ?
    : : : : : : : : : : Is there someone who knows what could be the problem here ?
    : : : : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : : : : Based on the sketchy information you gave here, I can only speculate what it can be. The possibilities are quite varied, from security issues; slightly different format of the registry key value (not its name); illegal instructions; a small bug in the english SP2 pack; which is triggered by your program; a background task, which interferes with the operation of your program (although highly unlikely).
    : : : : : : : : : If you at least give us the description of the error, and when (startup, certain user actions, etc) it occurs, it might give us a better clue as to the problem.
    : : : : : : : : Ok,
    : : : : : : : : hope this is enough:
    : : : : : : : : Here's a screenshot from the error:
    : : : : : : : : http://www.mac-doggie.nl/schoonheim/error.bmp
    : : : : : : : : the code that runs at the creation of the form:
    : : : : : : : : [code]
    : : : : : : : : procedure TfrmBank.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
    : : : : : : : : var reg: TRegistry; strAlias: String;
    : : : : : : : : begin
    : : : : : : : : // Initialiseren meldingen
    : : : : : : : : sExcelMelding := 'U heeft nog geen Excel masker opgegeven. Sla een leeg excel document op en vul de bestandsnaam hiervan in in het instellingen scherm van deze bank applicatie.';
    : : : : : : : : // Profielnaam met registry settings ophalen uit commandline parameter
    : : : : : : : : self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : : : if self.strProfiel = 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIE' then self.strProfiel := 'SoftwareMAC-DOGGIEBank';
    : : : : : : : : // Profielnaam ook in de caption van het venster laten terugkomen, zodat de gebruiker weet waar hij mee bezig is.
    : : : : : : : : self.Caption := 'BANK - Schoonheim Bankadministratie - ' + ParamStr(1);
    : : : : : : : : // dbAlias instellen
    : : : : : : : : reg := TRegistry.Create;
    : : : : : : : : with reg do begin
    : : : : : : : : try
    : : : : : : : : RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    : : : : : : : : strAlias := '';
    : : : : : : : : if(KeyExists(self.strProfiel)) then
    : : : : : : : : if OpenKey(self.strProfiel, False) then
    : : : : : : : : strAlias := reg.ReadString('dbAlias'); // Uit het register lezen
    : : : : : : : : if strAlias = '' then strAlias := 'BANK';
    : : : : : : : : finally
    : : : : : : : : reg.free;
    : : : : : : : : end;
    : : : : : : : : // Alias instellen
    : : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := false;
    : : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.AliasName := strAlias;
    : : : : : : : : dbSchoonheim.Connected := true;
    : : : : : : : : // Datum invullen
    : : : : : : : : depDatum.Date := Date;
    : : : : : : : : // De standaardrekening oftewel het totaal van beide rekeningen is KAS
    : : : : : : : : qryRekeningen.Active := true;
    : : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add('KAS');
    : : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Text := 'KAS';
    : : : : : : : : // Ook de overige rekeningen uit de database toevoegen aan deze lijst.
    : : : : : : : : while not dsRekeningen.DataSet.Eof do begin
    : : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : : : cboRekeningen2.Items.Add(dsRekeningen.DataSet.FieldByName('REKEnaam').AsString );
    : : : : : : : : dsRekeningen.DataSet.Next;
    : : : : : : : : OpenQuery();
    : : : : : : : : cboRekeningen.ItemIndex := 0;
    : : : : : : : : [/code]
    : : : : : : : : ;-)
    : : : : : : : : -mac-
    : : : : : : : : mailto:mac_doggie@hotmail.com
    : : : : : : : : the Netherlands...
    : : : : : : : That error is indeed completely non-descript, but perhaps the technical info can tell you more what's going on. You could also try to make a debug version of your program, which opens a single specified file without resorting to the registry or paramstr(). Or perhaps change the OnCreate() into a couple of button clicks, so you can see which line causes the problem. That's the best I can offer you.
    : : : : : The BDEDEPLOY.TXT contains the instructions to install de BDE onto a computer by hand. The directory you specified is part of an image meant to repair your version of Delphi. It isn't a true install, because the BDE also requires several registry keys to function correctly. You should consider investing in an install program, such as InstallShield or Wise. It will make installing db-programs onto other computers much simpler.
    : : : I don't know. I never use the BDE for this kind of reasons. It appears the specified file is assumed to be part of windows by the BDE, and thus not included in its install. But it was scrapped or renamed from/in WinXP. You can include it in the install package as additional files, although I don't know how exactly (Wise Installer user).
    :
    :
    :
    :
    The alias will probably be stored somewhere in the registry. If it is, you can let the InstallShield write that key. If it isn't, either call the ODBC from the install script as an external program to create the alias, or write/copy the file during the installation.