'
' character

I have been attempting to write the
character into a register however spim seems to be giving me a syntax error.
li $t4, '
'
that is the exact line.
Can someone please explain to me how to do this? and if you can't then explain why?

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by Evenbit at 2004-12-30 19:16:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have been attempting to write the
    : li $t4, '
    '
    : that is the exact line.
    : Can someone please explain to me how to do this? and if you can't then explain why?
    :

Which OS are you using? In the *nix world, the new-line sequence is just one ASCII character. While in the DOS/Windows world, the new-line sequence is TWO ASCII characters -- one for carriage return, one for next line ... it will be difficult getting both characters into one register unless you use a word-sized register.

Also, it would be helpful if you give us more info about the assembler and platform you are using. I am not familiar with Spim. Also, "li" is an opcode that I am not familiar with (likewise with the $t4 register). Are you absolutely sure that posting a message to an "x86" forum was the correct choice? You might want to check out the "Other Assembler programming" messageboard where they address other CPU platforms.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Evenbit at 2004-12-30 19:16:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I have been attempting to write the
    : : li $t4, '
    '
    : : that is the exact line.
    : : Can someone please explain to me how to do this? and if you can't then explain why?
    : :
    :
    : Which OS are you using? In the *nix world, the new-line sequence is just one ASCII character. While in the DOS/Windows world, the new-line sequence is TWO ASCII characters -- one for carriage return, one for next line ... it will be difficult getting both characters into one register unless you use a word-sized register.
    :
    : Also, it would be helpful if you give us more info about the assembler and platform you are using. I am not familiar with Spim. Also, "li" is an opcode that I am not familiar with (likewise with the $t4 register). Are you absolutely sure that posting a message to an "x86" forum was the correct choice? You might want to check out the "Other Assembler programming" messageboard where they address other CPU platforms.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Thank you you have to excuse my ignorance its my first time using these boards so I'm not exactly sure of what to do. I'm on an athlon system and am using windows xp. I don't really know what kind of information about the assembler im using that i could give you exept that apparantly its called MIPS. I am using SPIM to run this program. If i am on the wrong board which you may very well be correct about could you please tell me which board i should look for help in.
    Thank you for your time.
  • : Thank you you have to excuse my ignorance its my first time using these boards so I'm not exactly sure of what to do. I'm on an athlon system and am using windows xp. I don't really know what kind of information about the assembler im using that i could give you exept that apparantly its called MIPS. I am using SPIM to run this program. If i am on the wrong board which you may very well be correct about could you please tell me which board i should look for help in.
    : Thank you for your time.
    :

Well, having an Athlon system running Windows XP indicates an x86 CPU platform. However, since you are using the SPIM emulator, the target CPU you are programming for is MIPS.

For MIPS related assembly questions, you might try the "Other CPUs programming" messageboard here at Programmers Heaven.

You might have better luck, though, with the USENET NewsGroups. A few you might try:

comp.sys.mips
    alt.lang.asm

If you can't get these with a newsreader, then go to Google and select Groups, than search the name.

• : : Thank you you have to excuse my ignorance its my first time using these boards so I'm not exactly sure of what to do. I'm on an athlon system and am using windows xp. I don't really know what kind of information about the assembler im using that i could give you exept that apparantly its called MIPS. I am using SPIM to run this program. If i am on the wrong board which you may very well be correct about could you please tell me which board i should look for help in.
    : : Thank you for your time.
    : :
    :
    : Well, having an Athlon system running Windows XP indicates an x86 CPU platform. However, since you are using the SPIM emulator, the target CPU you are programming for is MIPS.
    :
    : For MIPS related assembly questions, you might try the "Other CPUs programming" messageboard here at Programmers Heaven.
    :
    : You might have better luck, though, with the USENET NewsGroups. A few you might try:
    :
    : comp.sys.mips
    : alt.lang.asm
    :
    : If you can't get these with a newsreader, then go to Google and select Groups, than search the name.
    :
    :

Thank you for the help.
    Happy New Year.