Which DB?

Hi,

I'm in the process of starting research for my final year project in September at Uni. It involves an ordering system comprrising of a database with a VB frontend for the customers use. I need advice on suitable databases to use, something like Access will be insufficient as it will need to be dealing with multiple access. The uni does provide a variety mysql and such but as i have only had experience with access(too small/simple) and oracle9i(too expensive to provide realistic business cost effectiveness) I am in need of a little aid in my choice :)

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• : Hi,
    :
    : I'm in the process of starting research for my final year project in September at Uni. It involves an ordering system comprrising of a database with a VB frontend for the customers use. I need advice on suitable databases to use, something like Access will be insufficient as it will need to be dealing with multiple access. The uni does provide a variety mysql and such but as i have only had experience with access(too small/simple) and oracle9i(too expensive to provide realistic business cost effectiveness) I am in need of a little aid in my choice :)
    :
    : Cheers
    :
    : Chris
    :
    :

MySQL is Free and robust enough. You can also download MSDE which is SQL Server's desktop version. However, it is commandline. But, you can use Access 2000 and above as the front-end for the MSDE SQL database.

Oracle is the most robust, followed by SQL Server. However, you will pay big bucks for either.

• : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I'm in the process of starting research for my final year project in September at Uni. It involves an ordering system comprrising of a database with a VB frontend for the customers use. I need advice on suitable databases to use, something like Access will be insufficient as it will need to be dealing with multiple access. The uni does provide a variety mysql and such but as i have only had experience with access(too small/simple) and oracle9i(too expensive to provide realistic business cost effectiveness) I am in need of a little aid in my choice :)
    : : Cheers
    : : Chris
    :
    : MySQL is Free and robust enough. You can also download MSDE which is SQL Server's desktop version. However, it is commandline. But, you can use Access 2000 and above as the front-end for the MSDE SQL database.
    :
    : Oracle is the most robust, followed by SQL Server. However, you will pay big bucks for either.
    :
    :
    PostgreSQL is another free dbms. It has some very nice features as well.

check it out:
    http://www.postgresql.org/
    http://www.ninthwonder.com/info/postgres/postgres/