unable to find linux pertition

I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!

Comments

• : I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
    : But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
    : how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!

Hopefully you have a boot disk to boot to your Linux partition. What happened was grub was installed in the MBR and when you installed Win98, it overwrote the MBR.
    You'll neeed to boot with your boot disk. Then go through the steps of setting grub up again. Basically just write the grub part to the MBR.
  • : : I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
    : : But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
    : : how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!
    :
    : Hopefully you have a boot disk to boot to your Linux partition. What happened was grub was installed in the MBR and when you installed Win98, it overwrote the MBR.
    : You'll neeed to boot with your boot disk. Then go through the steps of setting grub up again. Basically just write the grub part to the MBR.
    :
    Thanks Xfactor for your help, but unfortunately I DON'T have a boot disk for linux. Do I have to re-install linux? If no, how to set up GRUB again?
    HELP HELP HELP
  • : : : I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
    : : : But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
    : : : how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!
    : :
    : : Hopefully you have a boot disk to boot to your Linux partition. What happened was grub was installed in the MBR and when you installed Win98, it overwrote the MBR.
    : : You'll neeed to boot with your boot disk. Then go through the steps of setting grub up again. Basically just write the grub part to the MBR.
    : Thanks Xfactor for your help, but unfortunately I DON'T have a boot disk for linux. Do I have to re-install linux? If no, how to set up GRUB again?
    : HELP HELP HELP

Unless you can find a Linux boot disk of some kind (knopix, floppy, gentoo liveCD) then you'll have to reinstall Linux.
    Once you boot to the disk, run:
    grub
    This will give you the grub command line prompt. Then run these commands:
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

More information about this can be found here:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9#doc_chap2
    This link is for installing grub for the gentoo distro but it's the same.

X
  • : : : : I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
    : : : : But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
    : : : : how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!
    : : :
    : : : Hopefully you have a boot disk to boot to your Linux partition. What happened was grub was installed in the MBR and when you installed Win98, it overwrote the MBR.
    : : : You'll neeed to boot with your boot disk. Then go through the steps of setting grub up again. Basically just write the grub part to the MBR.
    : : :
    : : Thanks Xfactor for your help, but unfortunately I DON'T have a boot disk for linux. Do I have to re-install linux? If no, how to set up GRUB again?
    : : HELP HELP HELP
    :
    :
    : Unless you can find a Linux boot disk of some kind (knopix, floppy, gentoo liveCD) then you'll have to reinstall Linux.
    : Once you boot to the disk, run:
    : grub
    : This will give you the grub command line prompt. Then run these commands:
    : grub> root (hd0,0)
    : grub> setup (hd0)
    : grub> quit
    :
    : More information about this can be found here:
    : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9#doc_chap2
    : This link is for installing grub for the gentoo distro but it's the same.
    :
    : X
    :
    Thanks Xfactor for your kind advices. I have the CD of RedHat Linux-8(publisher edition). Can boot from the CD and set up GRUB as you told?
  • : Thanks Xfactor for your kind advices. I have the CD of RedHat Linux-8(publisher edition). Can boot from the CD and set up GRUB as you told?
    :

You might be able to use the RH CD if you boot to the rescue mode.
  • : : Thanks Xfactor for your kind advices. I have the CD of RedHat Linux-8(publisher edition). Can boot from the CD and set up GRUB as you told?
    :
    : You might be able to use the RH CD if you boot to the rescue mode.
    :

I use Mandrake-10.1, and boot with LILO. I know Mandrake is similar to RedHat, so this might help. Boot up with the first installation CD (CD1) and you will be given a choice to (a) install or (b) upgrade your system. Choose to upgrade, and since it is already installed it will just run through the procedure and at the end it will re-install LILO (or GRUB).

We hardly use boot floppies in Mandrake anymore, because they have to be formatted for 1.7 MB, and it is a real hassle to do.

HTH

Michael
  • : I had win98 and redhat linux-8 on my system, and was to able to boot in either in win98 or linux through GRUB.
    : But after re-installing win98 my computer does not show boot loader screen and boots in win98 only.
    : how can I get back GRUB screen? Please help!
    :

Throw away your computer and go back to picking crops....