Passing STL vectors by reference.

I need to be able to pass a vector by reference, but I keep getting errors saying 'vector' is an undeclared identifier. I've #included it in another part of the program where I'm using them with no problems and have tried 'typedef'ing the vector and putting another #include in this cpp file but nothing works. Here's what I'm trying to do:

[code]
class Node
{
public:
Node();
~Node();
void AddNode(vector & nodeName);
void KillNode();
void AddLink(vector & linkTo);
void KillLink();

private:

};
[/code]

I'm using Visual C++ .Net Thanks in advance.

Comments

• : I need to be able to pass a vector by reference, but I keep getting errors saying 'vector' is an undeclared identifier. I've #included it in another part of the program where I'm using them with no problems and have tried 'typedef'ing the vector and putting another #include in this cpp file but nothing works. Here's what I'm trying to do:
    :
    : [code]
    : class Node
    : {
    : public:
    : Node();
    : ~Node();
    : void AddNode(vector & nodeName);
    : void KillNode();
    : void AddLink(vector & linkTo);
    : void KillLink();
    :
    : private:
    :
    : };
    : [/code]
    :
    : I'm using Visual C++ .Net Thanks in advance.
    :

Code looks ok. Perhaps you forgot "using std::vector;"
  • : : I need to be able to pass a vector by reference, but I keep getting errors saying 'vector' is an undeclared identifier. I've #included it in another part of the program where I'm using them with no problems and have tried 'typedef'ing the vector and putting another #include in this cpp file but nothing works. Here's what I'm trying to do:
    : :
    : : [code]
    : : class Node
    : : {
    : : public:
    : : Node();
    : : ~Node();
    : : void AddNode(vector & nodeName);
    : : void KillNode();
    : : void AddLink(vector & linkTo);
    : : void KillLink();
    : : private:
    : : };
    : : [/code]
    : : I'm using Visual C++ .Net Thanks in advance.
    :
    : Code looks ok. Perhaps you forgot "using std::vector;"
    :

I've got using namespace std at the top of the other cpp file and tried adding it in this file as well, but it gave me an error. Here's a thought. Do I need to tell the compiler to link my other CPP file to the main one? It will do it automatically, right? I have two CPP files. Main.cpp - has all my windows stuff in it. Then NodeClass.cpp which has the above code. Thanks again.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Lundin at 2005-2-18 1:30:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : I need to be able to pass a vector by reference, but I keep getting errors saying 'vector' is an undeclared identifier. I've #included it in another part of the program where I'm using them with no problems and have tried 'typedef'ing the vector and putting another #include in this cpp file but nothing works. Here's what I'm trying to do:
    : : :
    : : : [code]
    : : : class Node
    : : : {
    : : : public:
    : : : Node();
    : : : ~Node();
    : : : void AddNode(vector & nodeName);
    : : : void KillNode();
    : : : void AddLink(vector & linkTo);
    : : : void KillLink();
    : : : private:
    : : : };
    : : : [/code]
    : : : I'm using Visual C++ .Net Thanks in advance.
    : : Code looks ok. Perhaps you forgot "using std::vector;"
    :
    : I've got using namespace std at the top of the other cpp file and tried adding it in this file as well, but it gave me an error. Here's a thought. Do I need to tell the compiler to link my other CPP file to the main one? It will do it automatically, right? I have two CPP files. Main.cpp - has all my windows stuff in it. Then NodeClass.cpp which has the above code. Thanks again.
    :

Usually you tell the linker which cpp files it should link, but some IDE have this feature done automaticly (by adding files to a "project"). It should be done automaticly in .NET. Perhaps you don't have / don't include a NodeClass.h file? Avoid to #include cpp files, it will make the same data linked twice and you will get linker errors.

• : I've got using namespace std at the top of the other cpp file

That won't help you in [italic]this[/italic] cpp file. Modules are compiled [italic]separately[/italic]. One at a time.

• [b][red]This message was edited by Beast96GT at 2005-2-18 23:10:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I've got using namespace std at the top of the other cpp file
    :
    : That won't help you in [italic]this[/italic] cpp file. Modules are compiled [italic]separately[/italic]. One at a time.
    :
    :

Tried that... still errors out... I'm gonna try and put the code in one cpp file. Thanks for the input, guys.

Plus let me give you guys some insight: I went to college and was taught programming on Solaris box. Now I'm trying to program Windows and it's a bit trickier. Thanks for your patience.