Help, C++ programming on windows

how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???

Please help me!!

Comments

• : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    :
    : Please help me!!
    :

Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
  • : : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    : :
    : : Please help me!!
    :
    : Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
    :

when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
  • : when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
    :

you need to learn how to program MS-Windows, which is probably totally different than MAC. It's also different than *nix. Each operating system has its own way of presenting GUI to user. There are libraries that make porting program from one os to another more transparent to the programmer, and if that is what you are doing then you might want to investigate them. One popular library is QT -- google for it. It's free for individuals who have no intention of selling the programs (that is, for learning purposes), and costs $$$ when used for commericial purposes.

Here is a popular tutorial to get you started with MS-Windows.

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

If you need a 32-bit compiler you can get a good free one from www.bloodshed.net.

• : : : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    : : :
    : : : Please help me!!
    : : Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
    :
    : when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
    :

Only old macintosh (classic) uses resource forks. You'll need to change your thinking about programming a bit to code for windows, linux, and even mac OSX (carbon/mach-o). Macintosh mach-o programs now use posix functions (standard linux stuff, including BSD sockets) and I think it's about time they have made this move towards the standards.
    [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• [b][red]This message was edited by eggskcuf at 2005-3-2 21:23:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    : : : :
    : : : : Please help me!!
    : : : Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
    : : when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
    :
    :
    : Only old macintosh (classic) uses resource forks. You'll need to change your thinking about programming a bit to code for windows, linux, and even mac OSX (carbon/mach-o). Macintosh mach-o programs now use posix functions (standard linux stuff, including BSD sockets) and I think it's about time they have made this move towards the standards.
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

dude, I've programed on a 7200 (120Mhz, PowerPC(not a classic)), running Mac os 8.6 and there was a resource fork, why would the discontinue supporting and using it???

• [b][red]This message was edited by DB1 at 2005-3-2 22:38:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by eggskcuf at 2005-3-2 21:23:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Please help me!!
    : : : : Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
    : : : when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
    : : Only old macintosh (classic) uses resource forks. You'll need to change your thinking about programming a bit to code for windows, linux, and even mac OSX (carbon/mach-o). Macintosh mach-o programs now use posix functions (standard linux stuff, including BSD sockets) and I think it's about time they have made this move towards the standards.
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    : dude, I've programed on a 7200 (120Mhz, PowerPC(not a classic)), running Mac os 8.6 and there was a resource fork, why would the discontinue supporting and using it???
    :
    :
    :

Where did I say they discontinued or stopped supporting it? I merely said they added standard posix support, which IMO should be used whenever possible. I'm not a mac expert by any means, in fact I don't even own a mac, and I will never have a need to own one, but I do know that now I can write cross-platform code for them without having to learn any mac-specific file/directory code etc.. because of the added functionality.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your original question about resource forks on windows.. so if your going to program on windows, just forget all about resource forks because they don't exist there.

Just as there is no resource fork, there is no data fork.. the data and resources are all compiled into one executable file.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• : [b][red]This message was edited by DB1 at 2005-3-2 22:38:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by eggskcuf at 2005-3-2 21:23:0[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : how do i create, maintain and communicate with C++ commands a resource fork containing resources???
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : Please help me!!
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : Havn't a clue what you mean by "resource fork containing resources". Is this a *nix program where, at some point, you call fork() to spawn another thread? If yes, then what are you asking?????????
    : : : : when I program on a macintish the program has something called a resource fork which is editable with resEdit (search on google, etc...), this resource fork contains programming resources which I can obtain with C/C++ comands such as GetResource(word, ResID), why cannot I do this on windows??, having a resource fork makes programming much easier and saves space and prevents file cluttering (it saves space because instead of using a new Block for each resource they are saved as part of the actual program/file)
    : : : Only old macintosh (classic) uses resource forks. You'll need to change your thinking about programming a bit to code for windows, linux, and even mac OSX (carbon/mach-o). Macintosh mach-o programs now use posix functions (standard linux stuff, including BSD sockets) and I think it's about time they have made this move towards the standards.
    : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : dude, I've programed on a 7200 (120Mhz, PowerPC(not a classic)), running Mac os 8.6 and there was a resource fork, why would the discontinue supporting and using it???
    :
    :
    : Where did I say they discontinued or stopped supporting it? I merely said they added standard posix support, which IMO should be used whenever possible. I'm not a mac expert by any means, in fact I don't even own a mac, and I will never have a need to own one, but I do know that now I can write cross-platform code for them without having to learn any mac-specific file/directory code etc.. because of the added functionality.
    :
    : Anyway, this has nothing to do with your original question about resource forks on windows.. so if your going to program on windows, just forget all about resource forks because they don't exist there.
    :
    : Just as there is no resource fork, there is no data fork.. the data and resources are all compiled into one executable file.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

so why did you type that only classic's use resource forks???

not using or supporting resource forks is the most moronic thing I have ever heard, why wouldent microsoft support it???

if there is not a data fork on windows then why when i copy files from a computer running windows to a Mac and open them up with HexEdit it says up in the top, right hand corner "Data Fork"???

also, I have just got (yesterday) a copy of Mac OS 9.1 and it runs on my 7200 (120Mhz), Mac OS 8.6 (which I had on my 7200) looks and feels better than windows XP or whatever the name of the lattest windows system is called, it is also more user friendly and less faulty than the windows system that microsoft will release in 2036

• :
    : so why did you type that only classic's use resource forks???

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way. I meant that the fork system is from old classic and apple is making a move towards the standard now. When I compile mac binaries for classic I end up with data and resource forks, but when I compile mach-o binaries there is no forks that I can see, just a single binary executable file.

:
    : not using or supporting resource forks is the most moronic thing I have ever heard, why wouldent microsoft support it???

Mac is what's not standard here. You learn to program on a system that is one of a kind, and then call all the other systems moronic? I'm sorry but you have been twisted and brainwashed by Apple. I know it may take some time to get over it and move on, but I'll forgive you for being so braindead.

:
    : if there is not a data fork on windows then why when i copy files from a computer running windows to a Mac and open them up with HexEdit it says up in the top, right hand corner "Data Fork"???
    :

There are data sections within windows executable files. You can learn a bit about it here http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/PE/default.aspx and in many other places.
    Also, just because some platform specific program - ResEdit (mac only) shows something in it's native format doesn't mean it's right. It only means that's all it knows how to do.

: also, I have just got (yesterday) a copy of Mac OS 9.1 and it runs on my 7200 (120Mhz), Mac OS 8.6 (which I had on my 7200) looks and feels better than windows XP or whatever the name of the lattest windows system is called, it is also more user friendly and less faulty than the windows system that microsoft will release in 2036
    :

Newsflash: mac is up to OSX 10.3.x now, which is a great operating system, partly because of it's advancement towards the posix standard. I don't know why you are so excited about OS 9.1.. Apple is moving on from its dark lonely past, you should follow. Windows and *nix are very similar, now Apple is finally joining the party. I am glad Apple is getting with the program, the combination of mac mini and OSX is helping it become more mainstream.

If you want to learn to program for windows/linux, fine. But don't go around bashing those systems or you will get no help. Just because you are loyal to the most widely unused and overpriced popular system made doesn't mean you can't learn to appreciate other things. Give it a chance.

And BTW mac OS is just as faulty as any other. I can dig up the long list from just last year alone of all its bugs and shortcomings but I wont waste the time.

I'm sorry, but I really have no patience for the mac elitist attitude. I like all programming, for any OS. I won't bash a system just because it's different than what I'm used to.. I'll just learn new ways to do things.

• :
    : : so why did you type that only classic's use resource forks???
    :
    : Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way. I meant that the fork system is from old classic and apple is making a move towards the standard now. When I compile mac binaries for classic I end up with data and resource forks, but when I compile mach-o binaries there is no forks that I can see, just a single binary executable file.
    :
    : : not using or supporting resource forks is the most moronic thing I have ever heard, why wouldent microsoft support it???
    :
    : Mac is what's not standard here. You learn to program on a system that is one of a kind, and then call all the other systems moronic? I'm sorry but you have been twisted and brainwashed by Apple. I know it may take some time to get over it and move on, but I'll forgive you for being so braindead.
    :
    :
    : : if there is not a data fork on windows then why when i copy files from a computer running windows to a Mac and open them up with HexEdit it says up in the top, right hand corner "Data Fork"???
    :
    : There are data sections within windows executable files. You can learn a bit about it here http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/PE/default.aspx and in many other places.
    : Also, just because some platform specific program - ResEdit (mac only) shows something in it's native format doesn't mean it's right. It only means that's all it knows how to do.
    :
    :
    : : also, I have just got (yesterday) a copy of Mac OS 9.1 and it runs on my 7200 (120Mhz), Mac OS 8.6 (which I had on my 7200) looks and feels better than windows XP or whatever the name of the lattest windows system is called, it is also more user friendly and less faulty than the windows system that microsoft will release in 2036
    :
    : Newsflash: mac is up to OSX 10.3.x now, which is a great operating system, partly because of it's advancement towards the posix standard. I don't know why you are so excited about OS 9.1.. Apple is moving on from its dark lonely past, you should follow. Windows and *nix are very similar, now Apple is finally joining the party. I am glad Apple is getting with the program, the combination of mac mini and OSX is helping it become more mainstream.
    :
    :
    : If you want to learn to program for windows/linux, fine. But don't go around bashing those systems or you will get no help. Just because you are loyal to the most widely unused and overpriced popular system made doesn't mean you can't learn to appreciate other things. Give it a chance.
    :
    :
    : And BTW mac OS is just as faulty as any other. I can dig up the long list from just last year alone of all its bugs and shortcomings but I wont waste the time.
    :
    :
    :
    : I'm sorry, but I really have no patience for the mac elitist attitude. I like all programming, for any OS. I won't bash a system just because it's different than what I'm used to.. I'll just learn new ways to do things.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Touche! :)

• :
    : also, I have just got (yesterday) a copy of Mac OS 9.1 and it runs on my 7200 (120Mhz), Mac OS 8.6 (which I had on my 7200) looks and feels better than windows XP or whatever the name of the lattest windows system is called, it is also more user friendly and less faulty than the windows system that microsoft will release in 2036
    :

If you intend to ever do cross-platform programming, which is apparently your goal from your original post, then you need to stop complaining about why all operating systems don't emulate the MAC and, instead, start learning how the other operating systems work. No two operating systems are the same. MS-Windows use the Win32 API (I posted a link to a tutorial), and various flavors of unix/linux use X-Windows/MOTIEF. MAC uses something else entirely. So, stop your griping and start learning.
  • : :
    : : also, I have just got (yesterday) a copy of Mac OS 9.1 and it runs on my 7200 (120Mhz), Mac OS 8.6 (which I had on my 7200) looks and feels better than windows XP or whatever the name of the lattest windows system is called, it is also more user friendly and less faulty than the windows system that microsoft will release in 2036
    :
    :
    : If you intend to ever do cross-platform programming, which is apparently your goal from your original post, then you need to stop complaining about why all operating systems don't emulate the MAC and, instead, start learning how the other operating systems work. No two operating systems are the same. MS-Windows use the Win32 API (I posted a link to a tutorial), and various flavors of unix/linux use X-Windows/MOTIEF. MAC uses something else entirely. So, stop your griping and start learning.
    :

Tell me, why can macs accept PC-format discs but PC's cannot accept Mac format discs??
  • Do you prefer Mac's or PC's
  • : Tell me, why can macs accept PC-format discs but PC's cannot accept Mac format discs??
    :

Because macs care about PCs and PCs don't care about macs. Next.
  • :
    : Tell me, why can macs accept PC-format discs but PC's cannot accept Mac format discs??
    :

because MAC is lousy os ??? PC is king of the hill and could care less about other disk formats???
  • : Do you prefer Mac's or PC's
    :

I prefer PC's

There are many times more parts available (and cheaper), many more applications, many more games, much more help and information easily available, etc..

As for programming, I also prefer PC's

There is much more available documentation and examples, the target audience for products is much larger, it is relatively easy to port between most PC operating systems, a lot of available libraries are already cross-ported to windows/linux (some are also ported to mac), etc...

That said, I do like macintosh. For standard C/C++ programming you could be logged into a darwin box or a redhat linux box and never even notice the difference, with the exception of linking programs with carbon.framework on the mac instead of standard libraries on the linux box.
    GUI programming is alot different for each platform, so the best bet there would be to opt for a cross-platform gui/graffics library instead of learning each OS's complete set of API's.

I just completed two cross-platform projects. One I used SDL, SDL_port, and SDL_Net libraries to accomplish a fully networked GUI program for windows/linux/macintosh and it was painlessly easy. The second was a much harder cross-platform FTP client without the use of any cross-platform libraries. Even still, it only took me a few days to learn the Mac OpenTransport API and meet my goal. Most of the time was spent trying to find decent documentation and almost non-existent examples (which is the biggest problem with mac programming IMO).