MFC Global Variable

Where in the MFC class can I save/put a variable that will be accessible to all classes (Derived Dialog and other other classes added to an MFC project)

Comments

• : Where in the MFC class can I save/put a variable that will be accessible to all classes (Derived Dialog and other other classes added to an MFC project)
    :

Sometimes I put them in the CWinApp-derived class because that class is accessible to all other classes.
    [code]
    class CMyApplication : public CWinApp
    {
    public:
    int some_global_variable;
    }

int CAnotherClass::GetSomeVariable()
    {
    CMyApplication* pApp = (CMyApplication *)AfxGetApp();
    return pApp->some_global_variable;
    }
    [/code]
  • : : Where in the MFC class can I save/put a variable that will be accessible to all classes (Derived Dialog and other other classes added to an MFC project)
    : :
    :
    :
    : Sometimes I put them in the CWinApp-derived class because that class is accessible to all other classes.
    : [code]
    : class CMyApplication : public CWinApp
    : {
    : public:
    : int some_global_variable;
    : }
    :
    :

: int CAnotherClass::GetSomeVariable()
    : {
    : CMyApplication* pApp = (CMyApplication *)AfxGetApp();
    : return pApp->some_global_variable;
    : }
    : [/code]
    :
    If they are more than one does than mean I'll have to write diff fxns for each global variable.
    Then the AfxGetApp() fxn, can I also use it to get a pointer to another class (like getting a member variable of one CMyAppDialog1 to another CMyAppDialog2).
  • : :
    : If they are more than one does than mean I'll have to write diff fxns for each global variable.
    [blue]No -- I just showed an example of how to access the variable from any other class.[/blue]

: Then the AfxGetApp() fxn, can I also use it to get a pointer to another class (like getting a member variable of one CMyAppDialog1 to another CMyAppDialog2).
    :

[blue]AfxGetApp() only get the pointer to the CWinApp-derived class. You can't use it for anything else.[/blue]
  • : Where in the MFC class can I save/put a variable that will be accessible to all classes (Derived Dialog and other other classes added to an MFC project)
    :
    I would introduce some really global variable, like
    [blue][b]int[/blue] MyVariable;[/b]
    in some file, say MyApp.cpp, and declare it in the header for that file:
    [blue][b]extern int[/blue] MyVariable;[/b]
    That's all. Object oriented people would not like it, but it is straightforward and does not execute a function. Works even with pointers to classes, just the header must be known at usage.

• Another possibility you can try , is using statics variables ...
  • [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2005-3-4 18:32:33[/red][/b][hr]
    [blue]No need to cast or call a function. There is a global variable already called 'theApp' and it is of your CApplication derived class. Just use some include file which has this line:
    [code]
    extern CMyApp theApp; // Copy/Paste it from the file where it is
    //declared and add 'extern' before it.
    [/code]
    [/blue]

• : [code]
    : extern CMyApp theApp; // Copy/Paste it from the file where it is
    : //declared and add 'extern' before it.
    : [/code]
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    :

AfxGetApp() returns a pointer to theApp and I think it is the preferred way to access it.