What is a graphic engine?

What is a graphic engine exactly? I keep encountering that thing and I have no idea what it basically does. Please tell me what graphic engine does.

Comments

• : What is a graphic engine exactly? I keep encountering that thing and I have no idea what it basically does. Please tell me what graphic engine does.
    :

A bunch of API graphic functions that do all the difficult work, such as DirectX and OpenGL. In Unix it might be Motief.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Chainsaw666 at 2005-3-26 20:8:46[/red][/b][hr]
    Actually, a graphics engine is a big-block V8 you cram into your tower to make it go faster, geez, everyone knows that, and an API is simply the transmission, usually a 4 speed, thus the nickname 4 on the floor.

Acually a graphics engine is kind of like an engine. It is a set of functions that work together to perform graphics routines. A 3D engine is something that generates 3D images, such as in DOOM or Quake. It's nothing more than a fancy/kewl way of saying program.