some questions I have?

are machine languages generally machine dependent?

does timesharing truly run several users simultaneously on a computer?

like other high-level languages, is C considered to be machine independet?

Comments

• Hi, to the best of my understanding of your questions:
    : are machine languages generally machine dependent?
    Yes, machine language is the actual binary/octal/hexidecimal code that the CPU recognizes as instructions or data. It varies by processor.

: does timesharing truly run several users simultaneously on a computer?
    Maybe, depending on the processor's capable modes and the software implemented. Either it runs multiple virtual machines that it sets up in memory as real time processing or it uses time slicing and threaded processes to simulate that. I'm not too sure about what criterion you are using here, so this may be all WRONG for what you want to know, sorry.

: like other high-level languages, is C considered to be machine independet?
    Well, yes if it is written to strict ANSII standards and an ANSII compliant implementation of the C compiler is available to compile on the systems desired. It is not like Java that has the capability of compiling tokenized code that is interpreted to native code at runtime by a virtual machine implemented for each OS and/or platform. It will require that the source be built to an executable native to each target.

Hope this helps, have a nice day.

• so...

does a compiler translate high-level language into object language?

does an assembler translate source language programs into machine language programs?

yes or no?

thanks
  • [b][red]This message was edited by MT2002 at 2005-6-8 15:22:58[/red][/b][hr]
    : so...
    :
    : does a compiler translate high-level language into object language?
    [blue]
    Yes. The "object file" is just the binary codes of the
    program w/ some additional compiling info (for the linker).
    This is assuming C/C++, of course.
    [/blue]
    : does an assembler translate source language programs into machine language programs?
    [blue]Yes.[/blue]

: yes or no?
    :
    : thanks
    [blue]
    Why all of these questions? You can always search
    Google. I [b]do[/b] hope these aren't homework
    questions..[/blue]